February 25, 2018, 07:34:43 PM

Author Topic: Video Games?  (Read 23958 times)

Offline hyperadam

Re: Video Games?
« Reply #450 on: February 16, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
I'm right near the end of Trails of Cold Steel II, and I've been spending the past few days just finishing up everything before I dive in to what seems to be the final stretch. The game gave me a whole bunch of point-of-no-return warnings, and everyone seems to be really sure about being able to finally put an end to things (for this game, at least). I've already finished up all the quests, finished up all the training exercises, 100%ed all the things I could manage, and talked to most of the NPCs, all that's left before I go in is to do a clean sweep of Bareahard (where I believe I should be able to pick up the last volumes of Gambler Jack) and Roer.

But man, Act 2 may have been a slog most of the time, even by Trails standards, but the ending really helped to redeem it. The fights against the Order of the Lion were great, or at least they would have been if I hadn't finished them in a few turns. It's such a neat idea, and if they made those fights a lot harder they probably would have left an even stronger impression. The actual story context behind the whole operation really helps too. Man, this series is so great at hyping its endings. I was so excited for the end of Act 2 and the final battle I'm heading into now, it's great.

Of course, I already know there's still going to be a lot more to do. I've heard the games still goes on for quite a while after the credits, and I already know about the extra chapter in Crossbell. Then of course, I'll need to reload my save from the end of Act 2 so I can see all of the other final bonding events I unlocked.I managed to fulfill the requirements for Fie, Sara, Laura and Emma, obviously went with Fie. Somehow didn't get Millium and I don't know why.

Not sure exactly when I'll finish, but with Trails in the Sky the 3rd coming out in a few months (hopefully) I'll probably fill the time in between with Ys: The Ark of Napishtim and Ys Origin (and Gurumin if time permits). Falcom basically owns my soul at least until the summer.

I'm thinking probably either Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky or Shin Megami Tensei IV, both of which I've been putting off for too long.
Just a suggestion.

Offline Tom

« Reply #451 on: February 18, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
Fire Emblem Heroes anyone?

*eats the five word rule*

thanks vegas for the avatar, moss for the blinkie & darksight for the signature

Quote from: Darkstar
i actually happen to love a good fruitcake

Offline Heron

« Reply #452 on: February 18, 2017, 08:11:23 PM »
Fire Emblem Heroes anyone?

*eats the five word rule*
I'm playing it right now! It's actually really fun. My ID is 3278280135.
I've managed to get some pretty good units (especially Takumi, Camilla, Ephraim, and two male Robins). Still trying to get Zero from Fire Emblem Fates and Eirika from Sacred Stones, though. I really wish you could trade units with other players.

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4987 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #453 on: February 19, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
i've done like four full draws in fe:h and i still only have the 5* lucina i started with @_@ (i luv her tho she's my fav)
i have lots of 4*s tho!! but they're all red and green, no blues... Rude.
i love the 6% 5* rate and that you only need 20 stones to do a full draw, though. sooooo much better than every other mobile game i've played where it's like, 50 stones and a 3% rate
(has never actually played a real fe game, is a poser)

mir and i are ALMOST done with zestiria!!! we just got through artorius's throne and have only sidequests and stuff left to do. aka, all the crucibles, except like. one.
we stopped playing for a couple months for some reason, picked it up again like last week, and just. zoomed through
I Love my Tales Game Gf

she really wants to get and play berseria but i still have like, no feelings about that yet. thankfully it's out on steam so we don't have to try to buy a ps4 to play it. legend says we can do local co-op on steam, i hope so, otherwise i won't get to play it -___-

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #454 on: February 23, 2017, 06:31:42 PM »
my noragami game is shutting down at the end of march :'( so maybe when it's gone I'll try fe heroes to fill the anime-shaped void in my heart. in the meantime I have to play kamieni as hardcore as possible before it closes

I've heard berseria is actually really good, but I don't want to buy a ps4 just to play it...... I'm not enthused about playing it on steam either but it sure would be cheaper so maybe that's just a change I'm going to have to get used to. if I can use a ps3 controller it shouldn't be so bad

so far my favorite thing about zestiria 2nd playthrough is that I can have more than 10000 hp at a time >:3c soon I will be Unstoppable

Offline Heron

« Reply #455 on: February 27, 2017, 06:12:05 PM »
I finished my Fire Emblem Fates playthrough yesterday, so I started playing Trails in the Sky. I'm only about an hour into the game, but I like it so far.

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
my noragami game is shutting down at the end of march :'( so maybe when it's gone I'll try fe heroes to fill the anime-shaped void in my heart. in the meantime I have to play kamieni as hardcore as possible before it closes

I've heard berseria is actually really good, but I don't want to buy a ps4 just to play it...... I'm not enthused about playing it on steam either but it sure would be cheaper so maybe that's just a change I'm going to have to get used to. if I can use a ps3 controller it shouldn't be so bad

so far my favorite thing about zestiria 2nd playthrough is that I can have more than 10000 hp at a time >:3c soon I will be Unstoppable
berseria is gonna be on ps3 as well i thought
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #457 on: March 01, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »
Well, I finished Trails of Cold Steel II last night. The Epilogue felt a bit drawn out, which kind of dampened the impact of the ending, but that moment of catharsis right after beating the final boss still kind of got to me. The final dungeon itself is pretty cool too, because of all the characters you have access to and the ability to get duplicates of otherwise unique rare quartz.

Despite basically extending the game an extra 20 hours past its actual climax, the Epilogue also does some interesting stuff for Rean's character and setting up the next game. Like, at first I was kind of confused about the decision that he made, but after seeing more of both his state of mind after the Infernal Castle as well as how the media is spinning it it makes more sense. It's obvious he's very conflicted about what he's doing and still a bit sore about a certain reveal, but he's just trying to continue pushing forward. The increased pressure from his newfound "hero" status is another factor too. His arc in both games was essentially about him overcoming all of his insecurities and finding his purpose in life, but at the end he just abruptly loses nearly everything he came to care about. I think the way Rean was written was pretty uneven at times, but he does have some high points that I really like.

I still can't believe he rejected Fie's offer to stay with him though. That's just inhuman.

Now I can start properly speculating about Trails of Cold Steel III... I really like how we're now essentially in a situation where most of the main characters have ended up on different opposing factions. Between Toval making a remark to Claire about them being on different sides and the fact that one of the few screenshots we've gotten is Sara spying on Lechter, I think its safe to assume the Bracer Guild is standing opposed to a certain somebody (albeit covertly, since the code should prevent them from explicitly acting against them). That means when it comes to the promise of seeing characters from the Sky games, pretty much any of the Liberl bracers are on the table. Fingers crossed for Estelle.

if I can use a ps3 controller it shouldn't be so bad
It's not a simple as just plugging it in, but you should be able to use your PS3 controller on PC. I tried it a few months ago, and although it took a bit of Googling its easy enough to set up.

so I started playing Trails in the Sky. I'm only about an hour into the game, but I like it so far.
It begins

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #458 on: March 01, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »
my feelings on ffxv are mixed currently

Offline Heron

« Reply #459 on: March 04, 2017, 10:58:57 PM »
Trails in the Sky is really fun so far! I'm only about six hours into the game and still not done with the prologue, so I feel like this will probably turn out to be a really long game, especially if you count the sequel. Orbments and the battle system were kind of tricky at first, but I feel like I'm starting to really get the hang of it. I also love how much dialogue is in the game. This game must have been a nightmare to translate, but I think they did a pretty good job of it, based on what I've seen so far. The music is also really great, which is nice.
(click to show/hide)

I've also been playing a lot of Fire Emblem Heroes. I finally summoned Zero, so hopefully I can get Eirika, Sanaki, and Hector soon.

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #460 on: March 06, 2017, 09:41:20 AM »
I started playing Ys: The Ark of Napishtim yesterday and I really like it so far, but I keep finding myself comparing it somewhat unfavourably to Oath in Felghana. Like, this game uses healing items a lot like I and II, which is fine, but I really prefer Felghana's system of no healing items but enemies drop both health and exp/stat buffs with a countdown timer that resets whenever you deal damage. It's a great way to incentivise taking risks and not breaking the flow of combat even when you're at low health. Poison is also kind of pointless, since once you're poisoned you pretty much just have to either head back to the nearest save point (again, a lame tactic that Felghana does a good job of discouraging) or just pop a healing item that enemies that inflict poison tend to drop a lot of.

Most people recommend playing Napishtim before Felghana because of how much the latter builds on the former (and I can totally see that), but I just stubbornly did it the other way because Felghana is a remake of Ys III so in my mind it should go before Ys VI even if this version specifically was made later and chronology basically doesn't matter in this series.

On the plus side, I now have a controller to play with, so I can play 3D Ys games without mangling my fingers.

Trails in the Sky is really fun so far! I'm only about six hours into the game and still not done with the prologue, so I feel like this will probably turn out to be a really long game, especially if you count the sequel. Orbments and the battle system were kind of tricky at first, but I feel like I'm starting to really get the hang of it. I also love how much dialogue is in the game. This game must have been a nightmare to translate, but I think they did a pretty good job of it, based on what I've seen so far. The music is also really great, which is nice.
I'm really glad to hear you like it so far! These games are real slow burns that spend a lot of time establishing the characters and the world, so the early portions can be a bit of hurdle for some people, but they do a great job of building up to the more exciting parts and making you care about what's going on in the meantime.

And yeah, you're right about being a nightmare to translate. It's the main obstacle for bringing these games to the West, and SC in particular had a pretty infamous four year long localisation process due to various setbacks and the fact that the scenario is literally longer than War and Peace. Everyone involved seems to be a huge fan of the series, and it really shows in how well they're able to handle all the dialogue as well as keeping track of all the details in the world.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #461 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
oh it's been so long since the announcement that I totally forgot berseria was released on ps3 in japan...
so the third option is importation, but I think I've had my fill of that with vesperia

It's not a simple as just plugging it in, but you should be able to use your PS3 controller on PC. I tried it a few months ago, and although it took a bit of Googling its easy enough to set up.
yeah, I had to install a bunch of drivers and stuff I didn't understand but at least there are simple guides about what to download, and it worked the first time. now I just have to deal with the buttons in the tutorials not matching the buttons on the controller lol...
I tried to set up the button configuration to be as similar as possible to the tales ps3 games, but apparently berseria's battle system is pretty different, so idk if that'll work anyway. the whole thing will probably take some getting used to

I wasn't really impressed by the demo, but I am eager to hear the zestiria-related lore and I already love velvet, so hopefully the rest of it will grow on me. I might wait until it's on sale tho

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #462 on: March 14, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »
im playing tales of zesteria now in between hell weeks for school and edna just came on and shes my new favourite character and i love her her personality is the best

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #463 on: March 21, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »
I've moved on to Ys Origin, and its so good so far. The combat just feels great, I don't know how else to describe it. It might even be smoother than Oath in Felghana, although that might not be fair to say since its been a few months since I've last played it, and even then I was stuck using a keyboard. I've also only played as Yunica thus far, so I don't know how well the other characters play. The bosses I've fought so far have also been fairly intuitive, which is pretty nice, and it seems less grindy than previous Ys games.

I also like the way the story is laid out, and it's neat seeing all of the callbacks to Ys I and II (And maybe beyond, since it seems one of the characters is named Kishgal...). It seems like the destiny of the Gemma family is to get a leg injury in Darm Tower, wait around to be rescued in a hidden room, and then give someone an item that they need to proceed. What a strange fate...

Only issues I have are some pretty noticeable frame rate drops when dealing with several enemies at once (although that's my computer's fault, not the game's), and the fact that there was an underwater level complete with spikes and instant death oxygen metre (which was thankfully not too bad and over pretty quickly).

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #464 on: April 08, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
I don't care if I'm double posting, I'm just really hyped about all of the great Trails news from yesterday.

We've finally got a date for Trails in the Sky the 3rd, and I'm really excited about that (less than two weeks after my last exam, yay!), but what really surprised me is that both Trails of Cold Steel games are getting PC ports.

This was so unexpected, and even though I've already played them on PS3 I'd be willing to buy them again. In addition to the promise of tons of extra voice acting (plus the possibility of modding in the Japanese voices for people who wanted dual audio), I'm looking forward to the technical improvements that come with putting it on PC. The PS3 and Vita versions have a lot of technical issues, and this seems like a good opportunity to fix a lot of them.

My only issue is that when I finally get around to replaying them, I'll have to choose between starting from scratch with the improved PC versions or doing New Game+ with my PS3 clear data. I can live without carry-over bonuses or playing dress-up with Fie, but CS II has a whole subplot that's only accessible in NG+. Other than the identity of a certain Dominion member and his squire, I've been holding back on spoiling myself since I've heard it connects a lot with stuff in the 3rd and I've really been looking forward to it...

I'm also really excited because this announcement seems to open up a lot of possibilities. I never expected them to get ports, and if XSeed is actually going through with it they must have done alright on console. They certainly got a lot more buzz in the press than Trails in the Sky which is kind of a shame if you ask me. If these do well on Steam as well, in addition to establishing PC as the main platform for the series in the west it would certainly be helpful in motivating future releases.

Hell, if this is a possibility, a PC port of Trails of Cold Steel III could eventually happen too. And if they're willing to put in the work to get more of the games on Steam that's certainly making me more optimistic about seeing the Crossbell games in English eventually.

The preview stream for the 3rd was also pretty fun. The more I see of Tita's mom, the more convinced I am that I need her in my life. Ries is also pretty cool.