October 17, 2018, 07:57:38 PM

Author Topic: Video Games?  (Read 27577 times)

Offline Spellmaster

Re: Video Games?
« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »
my gaming life is so empty without kamieni
at least it went out with a bang... I scored 500 million points in the final event (my best score until then was less than 100mil) and got tons of rare cards from the gacha, that I got to look at for a few hours before everything disappeared
my guild moved on to another game and I went with them but I don't know a thing about it soooo I'm probably going to look at it only to talk to them. more time for granblue instead

I'm finally making my way through berseria too and it's so much better than the demo. unfortunately parts of the end have been spoiled for me but there's still a lot to try to figure out, especially about how it ties into zestiria. plus velvet is OP, I love playing her, I love her

Offline Heron

« Reply #466 on: April 23, 2017, 11:24:53 PM »
Now that I'm not as busy, I'm finally able to play Trails in the Sky again. I just finished Chapter 2 today.
(click to show/hide)

Online hyperadam

« Reply #467 on: April 24, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
Trails in the Sky the 3rd is coming out in a little over a week, and I can't wait. I've been holding off on playing Ys Origin because of exams, but after I'm done I should have time to do a Toal playthrough before May 3rd.

Having finished the game as both Yunica and Hugo, I have a hard time comparing it to Oath in Felghana... I mean, I think the combat feels even more polished and on average it has better bosses (final boss is kind of lame compared to Galbalan, though), but there are some noticeable negatives. The soundtrack is not only not as good as Felghana's (which is genuinely fantastic), but really disappointing by Falcom standards. The story also isn't quite as strong, even though it focuses a lot more on story, which isn't exactly a good combination. I mean, pretty much everything with Epona in Hugo's story was great, but overall I feel like Felghana (and to a lesser extent, other Ys games) were able to accomplish more with less dialogue and cutscenes. Then again, until I finish the game with Toal I don't have a complete version of the story...

I dunno, I think I still overall prefer Origin, but it is incredibly close and I do acknowledge the ways in which Felghana is better. Also, Yunica's lightning magic is better than Felghana!Adol's earth magic, holy mandarin I love that skill. And Hugo would probably be more fun to play as if he could strafe. The limited ability to move and shoot kind of left me almost never taking advantage of his range and getting beaten up a lot due to his low defense.

Now that I'm not as busy, I'm finally able to play Trails in the Sky again. I just finished Chapter 2 today.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Heron

« Reply #468 on: May 01, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
Finished Chapter 3 of Trails in the Sky today. It might just be me, but that chapter felt shorter than the others.
(click to show/hide)

I have Fire Emblem Echoes preordered, so I might maybe take a break to play that in between finishing FC and starting SC.

EDIT: also I just accidentally saw a huge spoiler for trails in the sky rest in pieces me :(

Offline Neon Skylite

« Reply #469 on: May 02, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »
I just want to point out to people that Nintendo has been releasing the Squid Sister stories which are about Callie and Marie after the Splatfest

There's only 3 chapters but it's getting to the point fast and it will feed your Splat2n hype I guess

Online hyperadam

« Reply #470 on: May 04, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
Trails in the Sky the 3rd came out yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm only about 4 hours in, and I'm just past the first Moon Door.

I've been waiting for Tita's mom ever since I first heard of her, and holy mandarin she does not disappoint. Like, the entire Russell family is great, but she's on a whole other level. Even beyond her antics, she's pretty on the ball in terms of everything that's going on. I mean, she clearly doesn't know everything, but she wants to know and is pretty proactive about getting to the bottom of things.

I can't wait for the second half of that sidestory so I can see the full extent of her murderous rage towards Agate. That, and more stuff between Tita and Agate is always good. He actually visits her every month awwwwww

(click to show/hide)

I also really like Ries so far. I know she's got a lot of history with Kevin that I'm going to learn about later, but even beyond their banter I just like how... blunt and serious she can be. Especially how this attitude contrasts with how she acts when food is involved.

I also finished up with Ys Origin on Monday. Well, finished all three of the story modes, there's still a fair amount of bonus content. I'm glad the Toal ending is the "true" ending, because its the only one with the potential for a happy HugoxEpona ending.

Also, there was a mention of "Clerian will" in the ending. I see what you did there, Falcom.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Heron

« Reply #471 on: May 13, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
SO HOW 'BOUT THAT TRAILS IN THE SKY FC ENDING
(click to show/hide)

Getting started on SC in my tiny amount of free time that I have this week, and then I'll start playing Fire Emblem Echoes once it gets here.

Online hyperadam

« Reply #472 on: May 14, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
SO HOW 'BOUT THAT TRAILS IN THE SKY FC ENDING
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

In the meantime, I'm still playing through the 3rd. I'm just at the start of Chapter 5, since I've been slowed down a bit by the Moon Doors. They've been great so far, but they take a long time especially if you're as obsessive about talking to NPCs as I am.

I've honestly loved all of the stuff with the Russell family. I've always adored just about everything with Tita and Agate, but Erika is just... I had high expectations, and she still managed to massively exceed all of them. The Moon Door with Kloe's days at Jenis was also pretty interesting, because it kind of seems like a prototype for the Free Days in Trails in Cold Steel. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised I didn't notice earlier how similar the layout of Jenis is to Thors. The Moon Door with Schera and Aina was also fantastic. The expansion of Schera's backstory was nice, but what I really enjoyed was her interaction with Aina as well as Aina herself.

The Star Doors have also been pretty great too, and it's nice that they're quite a bit shorter. I especially liked the one with Julia and Mueller. I'm running out of Moon Doors, but there a still a lot of Star Doors left and I'm looking forward to them. Also, holy mandarin, the reward for that one door with Anelace. That one sword's stats are so good it just suddenly makes her one of the best characters in the game.

Although I'm proceeding very slowly through the main story because of all the side stories, I really like what they're doing with Kevin as a character so far.
(click to show/hide)

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Online hyperadam

« Reply #473 on: May 30, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »
Double posting because I finished Trails in the Sky the 3rd last night and the ending almost got me. Multiple times.  We finally get the big "farewell" from the whole cast that SC's ending lacked, and wow it was so emotional. Such a perfect note to end on.

The main story about Kevin and Ries was also great. However, I do feel like it dragged quite a bit in the middle. Like, Chapters 1-3 were a great set up, but then just as things seem to be starting to come to a head Chapters 4-6 seem to exist just to delay the payoff. Sure, there are a lot of great doors in that stretch, and Joshua and Richard get some really good development in Chapter 6, but it really seems like the main plot takes a back seat to dungeon crawling. Chapter 7 was totally worth the wait though.

All of the memory doors were also great. Moon Doors 1, 2, and 4 in particular were absolutely fantastic. I do kind of feel like playing Trails of Cold Steel first as well as some of the other knowledge about the series I've picked up did kind of spoil me for quite a bit of the side stories, though. Like, Star Door 8 pretty much sets up the entire main plot of the first two Cold Steel games, and although I enjoyed it I couldn't help but come out of it thinking "Man, I would be so much more excited about this if I didn't already know how it ends."

On the other hand though, it is kind of interesting to see how much stuff in Cold Steel I and II seems to come directly from the 3rd. There's the obvious stuff like the new AT bonuses and the presence of the higher elements, but there's also stuff like some visual elements and enemies...
(click to show/hide)

I also kind of like how XSeed managed to use the chest messages in a creative way here. Like, they're still there for most of them game, but then they suddenly disappear during a part where its perfectly appropriate to not have something so lighthearted floating around and the starkness of their absence helps drive home the situation. And then there's the final dungeon where half of them are all these encouraging messages that totally fit in well with the music, and its just so great.

Bleh, I've already rambled on enough. But yeah... Now to begin the long wait Trails of Cold Steel III, whenever it ends up being localized. And hope that the Crossbell games in English will happen within the next decade.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #474 on: June 03, 2017, 05:08:35 PM »
I finished berseria. it was amazing. sidequests are still kicking my butt though

I also started fe:heroes for a while too, but I don't think I ever connected it to my nintendo account, so it was probably lost with my phone _(:3 /_ )_ idk if I'll download it again, it's fun but I'm finally finishing my second Awakening playthrough now so maybe later

Online hyperadam

« Reply #475 on: June 10, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
With Gurumin and Xanadu Next still in my backlog, Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu coming this fall, and the recent announcement of Zwei II, I'm taking a bit of a break from Falcom games because at this rate I'll never get around to playing anything else.

I'm finally trying out the Revision mod for Deus Ex about a year after it came out, and it's a pretty decent update of the base game. Some of the default settings are a bit wonky, and their new soundtrack simply isn't as good as the original, but they do offer enough customization to make that not an issue, as well as the option to use the original soundtrack or even easily toggle some popular fan mods. It seems like they even have an extra menu to keep count of how many kills and non-lethal takedowns you have against different types of NPCs which is pretty neat. They also managed to come up with over 200 achievements somehow.

I haven't really memorized the game enough to notice any of the other little changes they've apparently made, so I guess they're not too egregious.  As it is, I'm still discovering new stuff in this game and am trying to avoid repeating what I've done in my first playthrough as much as I can. I'm playing on Hard, so gameplay-wise I keep falling back on strategies and builds I'm comfortable with just for the sake of getting things done, but I am discovering a lot of neat alternate paths and conversations I never noticed before. There are times where I even ended up accidentally backtracking through an alternate route while trying to progress.

After I'm done this playthrough I'll probably play Pathologic, and then I think I'll go back into Falcom Hell.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Heron

« Reply #476 on: June 25, 2017, 12:06:39 AM »
I started playing Fire Emblem Echoes, but I've been so busy recently that I'm not very far into it yet. I'm really enjoying it so far, though.

Online hyperadam

« Reply #477 on: July 08, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
I finished my replay of Deus Ex about a week ago, even doing all three endings. I love this game, I could honestly see myself coming back to it every few years and still getting something out of it. There's so much stuff I found this time around that I missed before, and still more other stuff that I want to do. Like, I once again failed to save Paul, so I still need to do a playthrough where he survives until the end. I also want to experiment more with different weapons, since I do rely on the assault rifle a lot. I'll probably do a pistol/crossbow and grenade focused run next time.

I was trying out the Revision mod, which I understand a lot of people don't like, but I thought was decent enough even though I did have issues with it. With that mod out of the way, I'm really interested in trying out GMDX for my next playthrough. I heard about it recently, and a lot of the stuff they've done sounds really interesting. It seems like they focused a lot more on "improvements" rather than "changes", which is good.  It seems to have been almost universally well-received as well. I'm looking forward to it.

I also started Pathologic yesterday, and it's pretty interesting so far. I was surprised at how much they just kind of... throw you in to this weird place and leave you to figure things out. I was expecting a weird town with a lot of mysteries, but I wasn't expecting the town and all the people to be as outwardly creepy and odd as they are right off the bat. I'm really interesting in figuring it all out, too. I wish I could just go around and keep talking to people to learn more, but the time limits and resource management has me all anxious so I just keep trying to find my next objective with minimal sightseeing. I'm looking forward to getting more into it.

From what I understand, the developers are working on a remake, which sounds like a neat idea. Even though I've only played a couple hours I do feel like it could use a bit of polish in a few areas.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Online hyperadam

« Reply #478 on: August 25, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
Things are slowly picking up again, so since it's been a while I'm double-posting with a longpost about a bunch of video game stuff.

I finished my Bachelor playthrough in Pathologic a while ago and I really liked it... with some reservations. I'm more than a week removed at this point, but while I was playing I was completely engrossed and the atmosphere and story are just great. But like I said before, it does need some polish, and that is especially evident after playing it for 50+ hours. Copy-pasted dialogue at certain points, quest flags that fail to trigger unless you do things in a very specific manner, combat in general, that one quest where you have to get 5 rifles... I understand playing this game is supposed to be like a struggle, but there really are some parts that are needlessly frustrating. If anything I'm now really looking forward to the remake in the hopes that it can fix some of the problems and build on the already fantastic foundation.

I'm too exhausted to jump back in, but whenever I decide to come back I'm looking forward to the Haruspex's storyline. I did all three of the characters "solutions" just for completeness and because I managed to keep all of the Bound alive, but out of them I honesty preferred the Haruspex's. Even though I was playing as the Bachelor, I still wan't fully convinced that he was right since the Kains just seem like a bunch of deranged cultists. Even though everything they say is true I still don't trust their vision of the future. He also seems to get mixed up with the parts of the town that I'm most interested in, so that seems interested. I'm just really eager to see a different perspective, since so much of the story is about clashing ideologies and characters keeping secrets.

Also Aspity is great and one of my favourite characters. She's just so bitter and mean, but it's all so justified because pretty much everyone in the town is awful and she's just brutally honest. One of my favourite moments is when she leads you on a wild goose chase. The place she directs you to even gets a quest marker, but you get absolutely nothing. In a game where time is the most important resource, tricking you like this is actually a pretty cool idea.

I haven't really been playing anything else recently, since I wanted to take a bit of a break after Pathologic. The PC port of Ys SEVEN is coming out next week though, so I'll break my hiatus once that hits. I haven't played it on PSP, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Beyond that, the long-overdue Trails of Cold Steel III trailer finally hit yesterday and I've already watched it like a hundred times. Even though it hasn't been subbed yet, I can tell there's so much going on and I'm so hyped. Like holy mandarin, playable Aurelia during a fight against Arianrhod, and it looks like that happens pretty early on. Looks like there will be playable Olivier too. Ooh, and what looks like two separate fights against Campanella, one of them with McBurn. And one with all of the Ironbloods at once. My Japanese is trash, but I think I could make out [REDACTED] saying something along the lines of "for the sake of [our/my(?)] father". AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(click to show/hide)

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Graystripe

• StarClanner
  • 2120 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Graystripe
  • "Only an honest death will cure you now."
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr account
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #479 on: September 21, 2017, 09:06:46 PM »
My video game life recently has been pretty much just replaying all of Dark Souls and Bloodborne over and over again.  I'm completely in love with those games now.

I also got through Breath of the Wild over the summer which was fantastic.  Not quite as good as people were hyping it out to be, but really good and memorable regardless.

Also Hiveswap was really good, really short and not much more than what I was expecting it to be but really great for Homestuck fans.
All is silent in the halls of the dead.
All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead.
Behold the stairways which stand in darkness;  behold the rooms of ruin.
These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin,
 and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.