February 25, 2018, 05:18:21 PM

Author Topic: BOOKS  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Heron

Re: BOOKS
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2017, 01:03:18 AM »
I think it's been long enough for me to double post now.

I've been reading Dune, and I just got to the halfway point. Man, this book is LONG (~900 pages). It really took a while for the plot to start moving, but things are finally actually happening. Paul is kind of a Mary Sue so far, but I've heard that he gets better later on, so I'll have to see how that turns out. I have to say, though, the worldbuilding is fantastic. You can really tell the importance of water on Arrakis just by how it permeates through their whole culture. It looks like the Fremen are going to have a lot more focus on them now, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the author did with them.
Also, I can't decide if Duncan Idaho is the worst or greatest name I've ever heard.

Offline Frosty (Frosty)

« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
man I FRIGGIN' LOVE Dune. Yeah, the first part of it is kinda meh, with all the politic building that needed to take place, but yeah, it'll definitely pick up on the pace, with the last bit moving at a nice brisk pace (tryin' not to say too much, y'know). I couldn't get into the next book myself, though. Dune Messiah, I think it's called?

Offline Heron

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »
Still reading Dune (after taking a short break to read another book for school). The pace is definitely improving now that it's past the halfway point. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I was before.

Offline Graystripe

• StarClanner
  • 2120 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Graystripe
  • "Only an honest death will cure you now."
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr account
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »
I've been reading through The Dark Tower lately, and I'm loving it so far!  The worldbuilding and lore is just so unique and creative and bizarre; I've never read anything like it before.  I'm a little over halfway through book 6 now.
All is silent in the halls of the dead.
All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead.
Behold the stairways which stand in darkness;  behold the rooms of ruin.
These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin,
 and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.

Offline Heron

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
I'm currently reading Mercedes Lackey's Last Herald-Mage of Valdemar trilogy. I'm only on Magic's Pawn (the first book), but it's really good so far. I'm just hoping that Vanyel finally manages to catch a break for once in his life.
I still can't believe that there are major characters named Starwind and Moondance, though.

I also re-read Purple Haze Feedback a few weeks ago. I still really like. If you're a JoJo fan who's read part 5, you really need to read this book. It gives Fugo some pretty great character development.

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46874 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »
I'm reading Pigeon by Alys Conran (one of my uni lecturers!) at the moment and enjoying it. I think I prefer the chapters from Iola's point of view to the third-person ones, but Gwyn is interesting to read about.

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2017, 10:54:31 PM »
I'm almost finished with I Am A Cat
somehow it wasn't quite what I expected at first, though idk what exactly I did expect, but it's grown on me and I like it a lot now

also I read Kokoro before that. it was nice but I'm still not sure how I feel about the end, I wasn't expecting to be left hanging like that

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 950 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
:O im happy you read them!!! i love them both a lot. i kind of felt like that at the end of kokoro too i guess but not like in a way that it took away from the book if you know what i mean. the whole book really left an impression on me. i was so hooked the whole time i read it really fast and i never do that lol the short chapters really helped too thanks soseki

also i don't know if i ever told you but a while back i read the housekeeper and the professor that you recommended to me! i liked it a lot

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
im taking a class on classical japanese literature and its the one im most excited for whoop
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
also i don't know if i ever told you but a while back i read the housekeeper and the professor that you recommended to me! i liked it a lot
:D
it's a cute book, I'm glad you liked it

yeah I can get why kokoro ends that way but still when you get there it's like... but what happened......
it reminded me a lot of some of the novels we read in my modern japanese lit class. I don't know if it's the style or the themes or what but there's a certain mood to them... Norwegian Wood in particular was one I really liked that seemed similar somehow

I'm enjoying I Am A Cat but I might have reservations about its ending too (I accidentally read ahead oops). it just feels like the kind of shortcut you take when you don't want to keep writing but can't be bothered to think of an ending. poor snobby cat

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 950 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2017, 08:43:58 PM »
oooh i'll have to keep norwegian wood in mind for the future then. i really like that "mood" as you say. i'm almost done with the gate and i don't have anything else in particular up next (unless i want to try reading more cat books----).

since i am a cat doesn't have a real "plot" i don't think it's really the same as something just being ended out of nowhere in a cop-out kind of way, like to solve the problems/conflict or end a storyline. the whole thing is about commentary and what the cat has to say about humans/human nature, and death is a part of that so i think it's fitting. it has a kind of peaceful finality to it.

Offline Heron

« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2017, 09:05:04 PM »
Read Magics Promise, the second book in the trilogy I mentioned reading earlier, over the weekend. I liked it! It was definitely different from the first one, what with being all mystery and political intrigue, but it was actually a nice change; just enough to keep things interesting.

Im also reading the original Dracula, which is really good so far. But even though I know that it basically is what made vampires popular, its hilarious how obviously vampiric Dracula is as a modern reader. Still really enjoyable, though.

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
having fully read the ending of I Am A Cat now yeah, I guess I can see how the end ties into the rest of the book. at least in the sense that the cat is always commenting on how senseless and absurd things are, only to end up in such a senseless and absurd situation himself
I feel sorry for him tho. what a way to go

I think the next thing on my reading list is this series of mystery books featuring a cat, which my parents got for me and I know nothing about... it sounds interesting but there's like 30 of them and that scares me. so I'm reading some old japanese fairy tales instead

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2017, 06:13:46 AM »
i read the entire percy jackson series and the entire heroes of olympus series in like 5 days and now im descending back into hell
Empress of the Pagebottom