• La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Alone
Re: BOOKS
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
Also the Eragon/Inheritance books weren't especially well written but they had some Cool ideas and concepts and stuff in them.
I actually disagree with you??? I mean, to each their own and all, but I always thought they were written really well. I actually finished the last book in less than two days, I was that absorbed with it. The entire concept was so amazing and that might have fueled my love for dragons.

Apparently I'm not allowed to mention that I liked the movie...

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »

Offline Darkstar

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
lmao YA fiction trash soooo very accurately describes me. I've been hitting the cat fantasy books hardcore lately: The Wild Road, The Golden Cat, Varjak Paw books, The Tygrine Cat, and I am in the middle of reading Tailchaser's Song (I never get many chances to sit down and read cries). I also have some books that I would like to add to my Cat Nerd Book Hoard....no idea when I will get a chance to expand it though....

Shoutouts to some of my other faves that have already been listed in this thread (The Temeraire series, Redwall, The Book Thief are all amazing reads)

I have to say though, if I'm being honest my favorite book is still To Kill a Mockingbird

Have you read Solo's Journey? Or uh... Windrusher? Or Per-Bast?

Oh, on the topic of horribly written books... Anything David Clement-Davies has written is simply terrible. I don't even know how to describe how terrible they are but it's like... they're descriptively nondescript. I just hate the writing style so bad that I could barely slog through any of the books. Bleh. :P It's probably subjective though, since many people seem to like The Sight.

thanks to altias for the pixel

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 03:11:55 PM »
i remember trying to read The Sight when i was in eighth grade and being so confused the whole time and having no idea what was ever happening. i mean back then i wasn't the best at paying good attention to what i was reading but maybe the writing was actually a part of it too?? o:

Offline Heron

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »
Oh no, I actually just bought The Sight like a week or two ago. Hopefully I'll find it to be an okay book...

The absolute worst book I have ever read by far was this one really, really obscure one I found in a used book store. It was absolutely spectacular in how incredibly terrible it was. I can't remember the title off the top of my head at the moment, but I have it written down somewhere, so I'll look it up.
The fact that the author put himself and his family in as Mary Sue-type characters should begin to give you some idea of what it was like, as well as the fact that one of his other books he wrote was apparently a conspiracy theory rant called "Chemtrails Confirmed", or something along those lines.

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46928 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »
I remember really enjoying The Sight, but I did read it over a decade ago so I'm not sure how I'd find it nowadays xD

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »
I think I read The Sight and its sequel in middle school, and I seem to remember liking it a lot then? but when I tried to reread it a few years later, I didn't get very far because something about the writing style just really bothered me. it's been long enough now that I can't remember what I disliked about it but that rarely happens to me, I'm not usually a very discriminating reader...

also the latest Temeraire book came out like two years ago and I've looked for it in every bookstore I've been to since then, and every one has the first seven books and not the eighth?? why???

@Dustfeather I love it when books that are supposed to be ~classics~ are really just ridiculous in retrospect... I read parts of The Tale of Genji in one of my college classes and once you get past the really confusing names and family trees it's http://ruination-fangs.tumblr.com/post/64268052522/in-the-tale-of-genji-one-of-the-worlds-earliest[/tumblr]]too funny to take seriously

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46928 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »
@Dustfeather I love it when books that are supposed to be ~classics~ are really just ridiculous in retrospect... I read parts of The Tale of Genji in one of my college classes and once you get past the really confusing names and family trees it's http://ruination-fangs.tumblr.com/post/64268052522/in-the-tale-of-genji-one-of-the-worlds-earliest[/tumblr]]too funny to take seriously

I've wanted to read The Tale of Genji for a long time ^_^ Bought a copy of Amazon but it turned out to be an abridged version :c

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
@Lightning don't get me wrong I love the Inheritance books they just seem overly wordy for my tastes :P and the movie wasn't as terrible as most people say but it didn't exactly do the books justice, storywise (The graphics were pretty at least)

lmao YA fiction trash soooo very accurately describes me. I've been hitting the cat fantasy books hardcore lately: The Wild Road, The Golden Cat, Varjak Paw books, The Tygrine Cat, and I am in the middle of reading Tailchaser's Song (I never get many chances to sit down and read cries). I also have some books that I would like to add to my Cat Nerd Book Hoard....no idea when I will get a chance to expand it though....

Shoutouts to some of my other faves that have already been listed in this thread (The Temeraire series, Redwall, The Book Thief are all amazing reads)

I have to say though, if I'm being honest my favorite book is still To Kill a Mockingbird

Have you read Solo's Journey? Or uh... Windrusher? Or Per-Bast?

Oh, on the topic of horribly written books... Anything David Clement-Davies has written is simply terrible. I don't even know how to describe how terrible they are but it's like... they're descriptively nondescript. I just hate the writing style so bad that I could barely slog through any of the books. Bleh. :P It's probably subjective though, since many people seem to like The Sight.
I haven't read any of those, but if they are cat books I sure as heck am adding them to my reading list c:

I couldn't stand The Sight honestly, but I quite liked one of his other books Fire Bringer (which was about deer)

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Lightning

• Nothing's fair in Love and War.
  • StarClanner
  • 17203 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Alone
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »
@Lightning don't get me wrong I love the Inheritance books they just seem overly wordy for my tastes :P and the movie wasn't as terrible as most people say but it didn't exactly do the books justice, storywise (The graphics were pretty at least)
Oh, okay! I misunderstood what you meant, sorry about that. When I first tried to read them, they were overly wordy... but I tried picking them up again (around the time book three came out), I found that it was just me being picky lmao

Honestly, it would have been better for the movie to have been labeled as a stand-alone, instead of part of the Eragon franchise...

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »
i feel u bro

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 06:25:48 PM »
i like Warriors

Don't we all tbh
I'd feel pretty out of place if I didn't
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Ivypool

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
Has anyone read Watership Down ? I find it to be very well-written, and the fact that it's about rabbits is an added bonus. It does take a while to read, but trust me, it's well worth it. The author even did research! Talk about that!  Overall, 10/10 would recommend. :3
Also known as Bbun, but everyone calls me Beebs o3o

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »
i like Warriors

Don't we all tbh
I'd feel pretty out of place if I didn't

this is a relic
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46928 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »
Has anyone read Watership Down ? I find it to be very well-written, and the fact that it's about rabbits is an added bonus. It does take a while to read, but trust me, it's well worth it. The author even did research! Talk about that!  Overall, 10/10 would recommend. :3

I read it when I was much younger but never finished it. Been meaning to give it a go again now that I'm that bit older and will probably appreciate it more :)

Thank you, Wolfie!