December 15, 2017, 11:22:04 PM

Author Topic: Video Games?  (Read 22519 times)

Offline hyperadam

Re: Video Games?
« Reply #480 on: September 23, 2017, 02:33:06 PM »
I finished Ys SEVEN last week and it was pretty good. I liked it, but I think I would rank it somewhere around the lower end of the series. Although I don't have as many issues with it as I do I or Ark of Napishtim, it doesn't really have the same high points either. I think part of it is that it's very much the start of a new "era" for the series, so although they've packed in tons of new stuff and made it more of a full-featured game instead of the more streamlined older Ys games (which I kind of liked... no fluff, just straight to the point and all the more effective because of that), a lot of the new features and mechanics feel kind of half-baked compared to how polished Oath in Felghana and Origin were. It was still just really fun to play though, as all Ys games should be. All of the characters had nice distinct playstyles (Aisha and Elk were my favourite to play as), and they give you good reason to quickly switch through characters. It was consistently good, but it didn't quite manage to have any noticeable high points. It was also much too easy.

It's also gotten me a lot more excited about Ys VIII. I still don't have a PS4, and it's going to be a while before I can play it, but I've heard so many great things about it and it looks so good. Again, I don't really have a beef with the party system itself, just that I feel it wasn't able to reach its full potential in SEVEN because they were starting from scratch rather than building upon a solid foundation from the previous games. From all the footage I've seen, it looks like VIII is Falcom doing just that and refining everything from the previous party system games. If it is to SEVEN what Felghana was to Napishtim I'm sure I'll love it.

In the mean time, I've been playing Gurumin and it's... good. There's a lot of stuff I like about it, but it also doesn't control very well. It feels sluggish at times, and the camera is pretty bad. As far as I can tell, I think this might have been Falcom's first full-3D game with this much camera control, so I guess that explains why those aspects of it are so rough. If the feel of movement and combat was as good as any of the Ys games from that era it could have been something amazing, since I like a lot of the ideas and systems that are at play here.

Once I'm done with that, I'll move on to Xanadu Next which I'm really looking forward to. After that, I'll be finished with my Falcom Backlog, hopefully in time for Zwei II to come out. Then to just... hope I can afford to play Ys VIII sometime not too far in the future.

Oh God, and Trails of Cold Steel III is out in less than 5 days... I've been watching all the footage from the demo at TGS and I'm so excited about this. I'm going to try to catch a stream on release day and then just... nothing. Not just to avoid spoilers for the game itself, but for the Crossbell games as well. Man it's going to be rough, when after all this waiting for the JP release it finally sinks in that I'll probably have to wait another couple years for an English release... Going from following all the information and news to just... cold turkey for who knows how long.

Offline Hawkstar

• Has Unpopular Opinions
  • Kit
  • 530 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Hawkstar
  • "My waifu is a scaryfu!"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Mood: Determined
« Reply #481 on: September 29, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
Gave the Octopath Traveler demo a shot recently.  I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd never played either of the Bravely games, but I really enjoyed it.  The retro sensibilities combined with current-gen hardware made for a really nice aesthetic and turn-based gameplay is always appreciated given how much big companies seem to want to distance themselves from it these days.  My only concern is that, in the final game, your party will likely be made up of the eight playable characters when I'd rather have each character have their own party and leave all the stories separate (though even I can admit that may not be feasible from a development standpoint).

I also replayed Metroid and Metroid II: Return of Samus to celebrate the release of Samus Returns and oh boy, has Metroid 1 aged poorly.  While I can handle the lack of directional aim and the inability to crouch, the lack of save stations and the fact that dying or just continuing via password leaves you with a mere 30 energy and forces you to waste time grinding back your health five pips at a time borders on dealbreaking, especially in a game that so incentivises speedrunning.  It's still a good game, but it can sure get tedious whenever you need to continue.  On the flip side, I was immensely pleased to see how well Return of Samus held up.  It has problems (increased linearity, one of the few uses of impossible space in games I don't care for, and a few other things), but I still really enjoy it (more than Fusion, even!)  Curious to see how Samus Returns compares once I get to it.

My video game life recently has been pretty much just replaying all of Dark Souls and Bloodborne over and over again.  I'm completely in love with those games now.

Yo, those are good games.  Been meaning to run through Dark 1 again myself.

"Put your glasses on / Nothing will be wrong."

Tumblr | 8tracks | Playmoss

Offline Neon Skylite

• 7 7 7 7 7 7 7
  • Warrior
  • 1242 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Neon Skylite
  • Flowers, flowers...flowers?
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her please. They/them is fine, though.
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #482 on: October 01, 2017, 05:15:42 AM »
Gave the Octopath Traveler demo a shot recently.  I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd never played either of the Bravely games, but I really enjoyed it.  The retro sensibilities combined with current-gen hardware made for a really nice aesthetic and turn-based gameplay is always appreciated given how much big companies seem to want to distance themselves from it these days.  My only concern is that, in the final game, your party will likely be made up of the eight playable characters when I'd rather have each character have their own party and leave all the stories separate (though even I can admit that may not be feasible from a development standpoint).

Ah, remind me to play that soon! I wanted to try it when I saw it in the direct but I haven't actually got onto downloading it and playing it.
NEON SKYLITE
Click those adorable kitties to see my DragCave scroll, my Wikia profile and my character arts on the wiki!

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #483 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »
I finished Xanadu Next and I really liked it. It's a shame it didn't sell very well and I don't see any talk about it even among Falcom fans, since it's a really good game.

It's pretty different on the surface from all the other Falcom games I've played, but its got a lot of fundamental similarities to Ys. It's got the same great dungeon design, where dungeons seem really confusing and overwhelming at first but they very quickly start to make sense as you explore them, except taken even further. Whereas in post-Napishtim Ys you can eventually freely warp from save point to save point so dungeons can mostly exist independently of each other, here you can only freely warp back to town one-way so every dungeon has to have a point that can become easily accessible from town so everything has to eventually loop back together in some way (i.e. at the end of the first floor of the eternal maze, you can unlock a door that allows you to get to the second floor directly from the town). It's neat and makes things feel all connected.

Honestly, there is a lot of Ys-like stuff, too. The way the story focuses on a long-dead civilization, and how you can collect and translate records from that time to learn about the past which ties into the main plot... Hell, there's even an accessory that's literally just the Mask of Eyes, only is actually gets more use than the Mask of Eyes ever did in Ys.

The combat is pretty different, though. It's a lot slower since it's more focus on exploration than action, but I enjoyed all the dungeon crawling and puzzles. I really liked a lot of the RPG elements as well, I feel like out of the Falcom games I've played this is probably the closest to a "traditional" RPG as far as character building goes. I never really used it, but the ability to go down a level to respec your character is pretty neat.

I'm planning on tacking the very daunting bonus dungeon next week, but for now I'm just taking a break. Still no release date for Zwei II, so I might have time to eventually pick up 7th Stand User before then.

Offline Graystripe

• StarClanner
  • 2120 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Graystripe
  • "Only an honest death will cure you now."
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr account
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #484 on: November 06, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »
Anybody here every played Riven?  I finished it a couple weeks ago and it's probably one of the best puzzle/adventure games I've ever played.
All is silent in the halls of the dead.
All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead.
Behold the stairways which stand in darkness;  behold the rooms of ruin.
These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin,
 and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.