December 13, 2017, 06:48:06 AM

Author Topic: Realistic Warrior Cat Consultations!  (Read 1490 times)

Offline altias

Realistic Warrior Cat Consultations!
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »
Hello folks and welcome to my little thread! In here you'll mostly see me going on about cat genetics and genetic inconsistency in the books. Of course, the true purpose of this thread is to do the following:

• Give an overview of any canon cat's genetics, and whether it's possible for the cat to be the way they are (sometimes looking into relatives)
  • Answer questions about cat genetics (i.e. 'how does tortie work' or 'aren't tortie and calico the same thing')
  • Help other folks with their original characters by offering advice on making them and their family genetically consistent
  • And so much more!

No fancy forms to fill out for the first two - but if you're looking for advice on the latter and know anything about cat genetics already, here's a form:

Code: [Select]
[b]Designated gender at birth:[/b]
[b]Coat color:[/b]
[b]Dilute?:[/b]
[b]Tabby?:
[b]If yes, tabby type:[/b]
[b]If yes, spotted?:[/b]
[b]if yes, Ticked?:[/b]
[b]White Spotting Amount:[/b]
[b]Epistatic White?:[/b]
[b]Polydactyl?:[/b]
[b]Albinism? (includes points):[/b]
[b]Silver?:[/b]
[b]Other?:[/b]

Please only fill this out if you're asking about your own cats and want help with things like parentage, or your cat's phenotype, etc.

If you don't know or it probably doesn't apply, do "n/a" or "unknown".

In case you're curious about what any of these mean:

(click to show/hide)

Questions asked and answered:

What's the difference between tortie and calico? - x
x - another link, etc

Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing what yall have in mind! Apologies if this is in the wrong spot.
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Tom

Re: Realistic Warrior Cat Consultations!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:13:01 PM »
I have a cat character who is tall with a green head and a mixed grey/brown body. Long beak and big white wings. Small black beady eyes. Very cute.

Just question 1... a lot of people say he isn't a cat. But I know he is. Is this possible?

thanks vegas for the avatar, moss for the blinkie & darksight for the signature

Quote from: Darkstar
i actually happen to love a good fruitcake

Offline altias

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
I have a cat character who is tall with a green head and a mixed grey/brown body. Long beak and big white wings. Small black beady eyes. Very cute.

Just question 1... a lot of people say he isn't a cat. But I know he is. Is this possible?

Anything is possible when you are a catbird(:

Offline Tom

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »
I agree!!! Thank you Altoid

thanks vegas for the avatar, moss for the blinkie & darksight for the signature

Quote from: Darkstar
i actually happen to love a good fruitcake

Offline Frosty (Frosty)

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 09:50:23 PM »
I'll fill out a form for Moon Moon.... later. Congrats, Altias, you get to do the genetics of  my stupid OC.

Offline altias

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »
I'll fill out a form for Moon Moon.... later. Congrats, Altias, you get to do the genetics of  my stupid OC.

I'll be eagerly awaiting !

Offline Frosty (Frosty)

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 11:50:56 AM »
Designated gender at birth: male
Coat color: black
Dilute?: no
Tabby?: n/a
If yes, tabby type:
If yes, spotted?:
if yes, Ticked?:
White Spotting Amount: unknown
Epistatic White?: N/a
Polydactyl?: nope!
Albinism? (includes points): n/a
Silver?: n/a
Other?: some Vitiligo, Blue/green heterochroma. Is having a derpy face genetic?

can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

Offline Frosty (Frosty)

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 11:52:14 AM »
I know next to nothing about cat genetics, but i filled out the form for you, Altias.

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:07:04 PM »
(i.e. 'how does tortie work' or 'aren't tortie and calico the same thing')

I actually am curious what the difference between tortie and calico is? O:

as for my OC it's not even remotely realistic so xD

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline altias

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »
Designated gender at birth: male
Coat color: black
Dilute?: no
Tabby?: n/a
If yes, tabby type:
If yes, spotted?:
if yes, Ticked?:
White Spotting Amount: unknown
Epistatic White?: N/a
Polydactyl?: nope!
Albinism? (includes points): n/a
Silver?: n/a
Other?: some Vitiligo, Blue/green heterochroma. Is having a derpy face genetic?

can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

What's this for? O: A bit confused!

(i.e. 'how does tortie work' or 'aren't tortie and calico the same thing')

I actually am curious what the difference between tortie and calico is? O:

as for my OC it's not even remotely realistic so xD

Tortoiseshell and calico both function similarly - a DFAB cat with XO Xo (non-red and red) chromosomes carries two colors in its pelt, so it mottles. Tortoiseshells are cats with this pattern that also have 30% or less white spotting. Any amount above that and they are categorized as a calico!

Offline Frosty (Frosty)

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 03:40:07 PM »
now I'm confused. Maybe i misread the first post, but it sounded like I needed to fill out the lil' form? maybe i'm reading it wrong?

Offline altias

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
now I'm confused. Maybe i misread the first post, but it sounded like I needed to fill out the lil' form? maybe i'm reading it wrong?

That's only if you're asking for genetic advice for like, whether your cat's relatives are all genetically possible, or something akin to that!

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
OOoooo, so a calico cat and a tortie could be siblings? I used to have cats growing up and one I would definitely class as a calico, and her sister I would say might have been a tortie. I've always wondered the difference!

edit: Actually I have another question? If two cats are tortie and calico respectively, and the mother is a tabby cat, would an orange and white cat be plausible as the father?

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline altias

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »
OOoooo, so a calico cat and a tortie could be siblings? I used to have cats growing up and one I would definitely class as a calico, and her sister I would say might have been a tortie. I've always wondered the difference!

edit: Actually I have another question? If two cats are tortie and calico respectively, and the mother is a tabby cat, would an orange and white cat be plausible as the father?

Tabby doesn't tell me a lot about the mother! But let me give you the run down, here:

Tortoiseshells have a base color and ginger (or, if dilute, the dilute base color and cream). This means that the mother needs to be tortoiseshell herself or the base color of both children (i.e. if they were black-based nondilute torties, then the mother would need to be black or black-based tortie, too).

Having a ginger father would be definitely plausible for a tortie litter, but the mother would have to be anything but pure ginger (XO Xo or XO XO)! If the black bits are striped, then she would be a torbie (or caliby) and her children would likely also be torbie (unless she carried solid and the dad was either genetically solid - since ginger cats are always tabby no matter the agouti gene - or carrying solid).

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »
oooh can I ask a bunch of fairly open-ended questions??

question 1 is about the viability of lighter and/or darker patches of fur that (afaik) don't fit into standard coat patterns... so like, squirrelflight's one white paw - is that normal white spotting, or is that weird? or graystripe supposedly having a darker stripe down his spine - does that actually happen?
I had some old ocs with markings like that (odd paws/ears out, or stripes down the back), but in hindsight I'm not sure if those are really possible or if I might want to change them to set patterns/all extremities being shaded the same color... //thinking out loud

question 2: what kind of kits would you expect to see from a black-and-white and ginger-and-white couple? I figure both of them are probably solid(ish) but with a lot of white spotting, and the ginger one's father is supposed to be reddish-brown... if that's not enough to really narrow it down I can make some more grandparents up, but I don't need anything super specific, just an idea of where to start with the sons

question 3 may be kind of dumb but is a tabby/tortie pair at all likely to result in a torbie?? it seems logical but it feels too easy... I know tabby is apparently dominant but idk how it interacts with anything else. (my real concern is that I have tabby+torbie and tabby+caliby sibling ocs, and I'm trying to decide if that makes sense or if they should stop being littermates and just be friends)