December 14, 2017, 12:50:04 PM

Author Topic: Realistic Warrior Cat Consultations!  (Read 1493 times)

Offline altias

Re: Realistic Warrior Cat Consultations!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 08:32:58 PM »
oooh can I ask a bunch of fairly open-ended questions??

question 1 is about the viability of lighter and/or darker patches of fur that (afaik) don't fit into standard coat patterns... so like, squirrelflight's one white paw - is that normal white spotting, or is that weird? or graystripe supposedly having a darker stripe down his spine - does that actually happen?
I had some old ocs with markings like that (odd paws/ears out, or stripes down the back), but in hindsight I'm not sure if those are really possible or if I might want to change them to set patterns/all extremities being shaded the same color... //thinking out loud

question 2: what kind of kits would you expect to see from a black-and-white and ginger-and-white couple? I figure both of them are probably solid(ish) but with a lot of white spotting, and the ginger one's father is supposed to be reddish-brown... if that's not enough to really narrow it down I can make some more grandparents up, but I don't need anything super specific, just an idea of where to start with the sons

question 3 may be kind of dumb but is a tabby/tortie pair at all likely to result in a torbie?? it seems logical but it feels too easy... I know tabby is apparently dominant but idk how it interacts with anything else. (my real concern is that I have tabby+torbie and tabby+caliby sibling ocs, and I'm trying to decide if that makes sense or if they should stop being littermates and just be friends)

Happy to answer em!

Squirrelflight's white paw is white spotting and is genetically viable! Though neither of her parents have any to speak of... (coughs.) Graystripe's dorsal marking is not, though - stripes are never selective like that! If anything, he'd be a tabby of some sort if he has a stripe like that, but since he isn't, it's not realistic at all.

Having 'darker' or 'lighter' fur patches also isn't quite realistic unless they're explicitly something like tabby striping (spotted mackerel or spotted classic, for example) or tabby with silver tipping (pale undercoat, darker top part). White patches are kind of case by case - white starts at the extremities (paws and muzzle and belly, rarely tail-tip) and extend upward and inward, rather than starting on, say, the ears or the back and growing outward. Imagine it like cats have invisible 'seams' at the places the white starts!

Question two: It's very much dependent on their hidden genetics as well as visible. If I were to assume that both of them weren't carrying anything, then their kittens could likely be black, tortie, or ginger with white that depends on whether they're high white (SS) or low/mid white (Ss). If both are Ss, then there's a chance that none of them will have white (but Ss and SS would still occur). If one of them is SS but the other is Ss, then you'd have 3/4ths high white and 1/4ths low white. If both are SS, then all of them will have high white. Depending on the ginger cat's agouti (tabby) gene, then you may or may not have tabbies in the litter.

That said, 'ginger brown' could probably apply to a cat that displays cinnamon, but it wouldn't show up in the kittens unless both parents had/carried it (and the same goes for the ginger tom's kittens, too).

Question 3: Yes! Absolutely! Oh my goodness. Tabby is dominant so torbies are very easily dominant over torties, considering. The tabby gene is formally called Agouti, and dominant (thus, AA/Aa cats will have tabby, but aa will be solid). To give you a better explanation of specifics:

AA x AA = All tabby kittens (or torbie, if it applies)

AA x Aa / inverse = All tabby kittens (or torbie), 1/4 chance of kitten carrying solid

Aa x Aa = 3/4ths tabby/torbie, 1/4ths solid. Pretty good chance that tabbies from this batch will carry solid.

Aa x aa = 3/4ths solid, 1/4ths tabby/torbie. All tabbies will carry solid.

aa x aa = All solid/tortie.

For the record, all ginger cats are tabby, despite whatever their agouti set is - it is just much fainter if they're genetically solid.

Thanks for asking!
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Neon Skylite

• 7 7 7 7 7 7 7
  • Warrior
  • 1242 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Neon Skylite
  • Flowers, flowers...flowers?
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her please. They/them is fine, though.
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 03:06:56 AM »
Hey, I'm wondering if this family could happen:
A dark ginger tabby Scottish Fold she-cat (like a browny dark ginger, kinda like Oakheart colour but more ginger than brown) had a kit with a silver tabby in my fanfiction, and this kit has a dark ginger tabby colour with minor amounts of white on his chin and front paws with no Scottish fold. This possible?
And also later into it, the same dark ginger scottish fold has kits with a dark silver-gray cat, and they have three kits; a ginger-splotched scottish fold (Like Brightheart splotches) a black kit and a silver kit. This also possible? I tried consulting simple genetic sheets but they don't say much about the Scottish Fold genes.
NEON SKYLITE
Click those adorable kitties to see my DragCave scroll, my Wikia profile and my character arts on the wiki!

Offline altias

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »
A dark ginger tabby Scottish Fold she-cat (like a browny dark ginger, kinda like Oakheart colour but more ginger than brown) had a kit with a silver tabby in my fanfiction, and this kit has a dark ginger tabby colour with minor amounts of white on his chin and front paws with no Scottish fold. This possible?
And also later into it, the same dark ginger scottish fold has kits with a dark silver-gray cat, and they have three kits; a ginger-splotched scottish fold (Like Brightheart splotches) a black kit and a silver kit. This also possible? I tried consulting simple genetic sheets but they don't say much about the Scottish Fold genes.

"Browny dark ginger" doesn't really tell me a lot, but I'd assume you mean cinnamon, which isn't ginger at all (and is classified as a non-red)!

If neither parent has white, then none of the kittens will have white - for any of them to have high white, the pairing would need to be Ss x SS, SS x SS, or Ss x Ss (that's  lowxhigh, highxhigh, and lowxlow). I can't tell whether the cinnamon cat is tabby or not, so I can't vouch for whether solid kits are viable. I can't tell what you mean by silver, either - is this a simple gray cat, a simple gray tabby, or a silver-tipped tabby? If it's the latter, what sort of tabby is it (and the kitten/s if applicabble), and is it black-based or something else?

Offline Neon Skylite

• 7 7 7 7 7 7 7
  • Warrior
  • 1242 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Neon Skylite
  • Flowers, flowers...flowers?
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her please. They/them is fine, though.
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 04:11:50 PM »

"Browny dark ginger" doesn't really tell me a lot, but I'd assume you mean cinnamon, which isn't ginger at all (and is classified as a non-red)!

If neither parent has white, then none of the kittens will have white - for any of them to have high white, the pairing would need to be Ss x SS, SS x SS, or Ss x Ss (that's  lowxhigh, highxhigh, and lowxlow). I can't tell whether the cinnamon cat is tabby or not, so I can't vouch for whether solid kits are viable. I can't tell what you mean by silver, either - is this a simple gray cat, a simple gray tabby, or a silver-tipped tabby? If it's the latter, what sort of tabby is it (and the kitten/s if applicabble), and is it black-based or something else?
Simple, solid silver.
Oh - and I forgot to say, of course the dark ginger she-cat is tabby. It's a gene law that all gingers are tabbies, right?
And I think I kinda messed up on my description; the she-cat is just dark ginger.
NEON SKYLITE
Click those adorable kitties to see my DragCave scroll, my Wikia profile and my character arts on the wiki!

Offline altias

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 12:44:13 AM »

Simple, solid silver.
Oh - and I forgot to say, of course the dark ginger she-cat is tabby. It's a gene law that all gingers are tabbies, right?
And I think I kinda messed up on my description; the she-cat is just dark ginger.

Solid silver? So like.... gray? I'll roll with that. And with ginger cats, it's not that they're literal tabbies all the time - they can be genetically solid (aa) but still display faint striping.

That said.... Unless the dark ginger cat (the one mating with the dark gray cat) carried dilute (or displayed it, but he doesn't seem to), then the silver kit wouldn't quite be possible. And as said above, their kittens would only have as much spotting as the parents really had; assuming the ginger-and-white kitten is over 50% white, then at least one parent needs to have SS and the other must be Ss. If this were the case, then both other kits would either be low/mid or high white like the parents!

The first pair you mentioned could definitely have a no-fold litter; folds are dominant, but almost all fold-eared cats carry non-folded (because Fd Fd is actually really fatal to kittens, and most of those die very soon after being born). This said, if there were folded kittens in this litter (seemingly a 1/4 chance with this pair), they'd be the nonlethal variety. Unless either parent had white on them (at least one parent with low white), then their kitten would not have white!

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »
oh nice :D thank you! I will leave all my torbie+tabby siblings as they are then ahaha

so is point coloration the only real way for a cat to have darker paws? and that's mostly for light-colored cats? (I've seen a few examples on darker cats but it seems really faint/specific to certain breeds or something)

I hadn't intended to make all my ocs totally realistic (still might leave a few stretches just because I can oops), but actually having even an approximation of what genes each cat might have is proving very useful for telling which independent families I created might be related :O thank u cat genetics for lighting the way

That said, 'ginger brown' could probably apply to a cat that displays cinnamon, but it wouldn't show up in the kittens unless both parents had/carried it (and the same goes for the ginger tom's kittens, too).
oh cinnamon might be better for the color I was thinking of... if he is, he could still have red children, right? their mother can be anything (as long as there's white spotting involved - I'm thinking probably ginger and white just like one of their kits)

Offline altias

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
oh nice :D thank you! I will leave all my torbie+tabby siblings as they are then ahaha

so is point coloration the only real way for a cat to have darker paws? and that's mostly for light-colored cats? (I've seen a few examples on darker cats but it seems really faint/specific to certain breeds or something)

I hadn't intended to make all my ocs totally realistic (still might leave a few stretches just because I can oops), but actually having even an approximation of what genes each cat might have is proving very useful for telling which independent families I created might be related :O thank u cat genetics for lighting the way

oh cinnamon might be better for the color I was thinking of... if he is, he could still have red children, right? their mother can be anything (as long as there's white spotting involved - I'm thinking probably ginger and white just like one of their kits)

Well, with points, you'd also have a pale body - or at least, mostly pale, depending on whether the points are high- or low-contrast. 

And with the cinnamon guy: since he's cinnamon (not-red), he can't have red kittens, only cinnamon (and that's if the mother carries and/or displays cinnamon herself!). You'd need one of the parents to be ginger (or tortie) if you wanted ginger kittens!