August 23, 2017, 11:55:17 PM

Author Topic: Least favorite character  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17161 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
Least favorite character
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:05:38 PM »
To go with moss' thread:

Least favorite character go go go

I will probably get a fair bit of hate for this, but I seriously don't like Firestar? Like, I understand that he's the main character of the first arc and all, but I feel that the entire series is focused a bit too much on him, instead of the world it developed. I suppose I could say the same for Bramblestar as well- I just think there's too much focus on both characters. It makes sense to have them in the spotlight because main character, but why not make time for the slew of other awesome characters they introduced over the years?

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46760 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
    • 🕷 I'm a spider!
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
Re: Least favorite character
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:16:54 PM »
I was never a fan of Squirrelflight, as I found her to be very irritating; she seems very popular in the fandom, as people tend to like very energetic characters, but I didn't enjoy her character much :\

Cat image from Sobi. Lyrics by Twilight Force.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17161 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »
I was never a fan of Squirrelflight, as I found her to be very irritating; she seems very popular in the fandom, as people tend to like very energetic characters, but I didn't enjoy her character much :\
Exactly! She's a bit too bouncy for my tastes.. I mean, she's a good deputy and all, but the popularity she has in the fandom really kills it for me. She also seems to do whatever she wants in the second arc, and that's what really did it for me.

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46760 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🕷 I'm a spider!
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »
I personally think Whitewing would make a better deputy, as she always struck me as being very helpful and organised, though I've not actually read the third and fourth series (just picked up on the plot through WW) so I don't know whether she has an apprentice during that time ^_^;;

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 944 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
    • 🔮 I can see into the future!
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:18:47 PM »
I don't think any characters really stick out to me as disliking them very much although I think back in the day i didn't really like Brambleclaw a whole lot. I'm pretty sure I remember not wanting him to be made deputy and being a part of the 'Brackenfur for deputy' crowd haha

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17161 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:31:12 PM »
I personally think Whitewing would make a better deputy, as she always struck me as being very helpful and organised, though I've not actually read the third and fourth series (just picked up on the plot through WW) so I don't know whether she has an apprentice during that time ^_^;;
Yep! She's had two, actually. Icecloud (Dustpelt and Ferncloud's daughter) and Dewnose (Cloudtail and Brightheart's son from their second litter), so she's got the qualifications down. She's still just as helpful, organized, and full of amazing wisdom and kindness. She's a good mother too.

Can't quite say the same for Millie... lord, she's way up there on the "cats I dislike" list now. x.x

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46760 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🕷 I'm a spider!
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »
I don't think any characters really stick out to me as disliking them very much although I think back in the day i didn't really like Brambleclaw a whole lot. I'm pretty sure I remember not wanting him to be made deputy and being a part of the 'Brackenfur for deputy' crowd haha

I felt the same; I didn't dislike Brambleclaw as a character but I disliked the Erins' insistence on having main characters in all the ThunderClan authority positions, and thought Brackenfur would be a better deputy due to being calmer and more experienced :P

Offline Teezy

• Official Jolyne Fangirl
  • Elder
  • 724 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Teezy
  • "i want to see the starlight"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:29:25 PM »
I know he's popular but I'm really not fond of Crowfeather. Being prickly is one thing but being nasty to your own son like he is is pretty reprehensible.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17161 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »
I know he's popular but I'm really not fond of Crowfeather. Being prickly is one thing but being nasty to your own son like he is is pretty reprehensible.
Added to the fact that he praised other cats more than his own son... he's like that father that expects a perfect son and is disappointed when he's anything but... idk, he seemed more concerned with Heathertail than his own son- all the times I remember Crowfeather and Breezepelt interacting, it's usually Crowfeather being nasty towards him for one thing or another. No wonder he joined the Dark Forest. ._.

Offline hyperadam

• GO FIGHT
  • StarClanner
  • 480 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To hyperadam
  • Kiseki hell
    • 🍬 I'm just in it for the candy!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Mood: Hyper
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:07:30 PM »
I rarely ever outright hate characters, but I just... really really don't like Ashfur. He's not sympathetic, because his motives are so petty and overblown, and he's not really interesting as a villain because he doesn't do much and is too angsty to be genuinely entertaining. I just find him obnoxious because he doesn't even really reach love-to-hate status.

And like, I normally really like pathetic sad-sack characters, and one of my favourite types of villains are the ones who are completely lacking in self-awareness and insistent that they are the ones who have been wronged, but Ashfur is just... ugh.

I think a lot of it is the way the narrative wants you to feel about him. I'm still pissed that he went to StarClan and they went out of their way to defend him.

Offline Pantherstrike

• ~*~ Official Pearl Fangirl ~*~
  • Warrior
  • 238 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Pantherstrike
  • never made it to 10k posts on v4 rip
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »
Something still makes my blood boil when I think of Squirrelflight. I think I hate her more than I've ever hated a fictional character before or since besides Anders from Dragon Age

I hate her personality, how unanimously loved she was by the whole Clan, her carelessness being constantly brushed off and left unpunished in TNP, and how even the narrative constantly shoved "WOW DON'T YOU LOVE SQUIRRELFLIGHT!" vibes at the reader constantly. I hate her...I HATE her...oh sweet StarClan I hate her.

tumblr / pixel by altias / avatar art courtesy of secret santa

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46760 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🕷 I'm a spider!
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
Something still makes my blood boil when I think of Squirrelflight. I think I hate her more than I've ever hated a fictional character before or since besides Anders from Dragon Age

I hate her personality, how unanimously loved she was by the whole Clan, her carelessness being constantly brushed off and left unpunished in TNP, and how even the narrative constantly shoved "WOW DON'T YOU LOVE SQUIRRELFLIGHT!" vibes at the reader constantly. I hate her...I HATE her...oh sweet StarClan I hate her.

I think the Erins have a bit of a bad habit of trying too hard to make readers like characters, when often they're very flawed or just generally not very likeable. I found this to be the case with both Squirrelflight and Ashfur; admittedly I did actually used to be quite a big fan of Ashfur, but grew to dislike him as a character when the narrative of the books seemed to be trying to portray him as being misunderstood and having done nothing wrong. It was his more deranged side that was his most interesting characteristic, so the fact that was downplayed so much to try and make him look like one of the good guys was frustrating.

Offline Pantherstrike

• ~*~ Official Pearl Fangirl ~*~
  • Warrior
  • 238 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Pantherstrike
  • never made it to 10k posts on v4 rip
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »

I think the Erins have a bit of a bad habit of trying too hard to make readers like characters, when often they're very flawed or just generally not very likeable. I found this to be the case with both Squirrelflight and Ashfur; admittedly I did actually used to be quite a big fan of Ashfur, but grew to dislike him as a character when the narrative of the books seemed to be trying to portray him as being misunderstood and having done nothing wrong. It was his more deranged side that was his most interesting characteristic, so the fact that was downplayed so much to try and make him look like one of the good guys was frustrating.

I agree, though I fell for the Ashfur apologism hook line and sinker at the time. I was angry with the direction they took his character in and in retrospect the way he was portrayed as a pretty terrible person juxtaposed with the "but it wasn't THAT bad!" stuff was just nooot good writing. Most of the Erins' "DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THIS CHARACTER" writing was more straightforward "look at how heroic and strong and cool this protagonist is" stuff though. It's annoying but Squirrelflight was the only one of such characters I actively hated.

tumblr / pixel by altias / avatar art courtesy of secret santa

Offline Ivypool

• Warrior
  • 217 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ivypool
  • The Meme Queen
    • 🍬 I'm just in it for the candy!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 05:33:39 PM »
Oiii, among other chars I don't like, I can't stand Jagged Peak. His jerkitude increased as DotC goes on, and the fact that he gets rewarded by the narrative by doing absolutely nothing is ridiculous, especially when it's said later on that

(click to show/hide)

Also
(click to show/hide)

However he's not nearly as bad as Clear Sky or Tom or Slash or One Eye. Good lordy, what is it with DotC and gross tomcats
Also known as Bbun, but everyone calls me Beebs o3o

Offline Ariel

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 06:18:43 PM »
Hate to jump on board, but I have to agree as Squirrelflight being my least favorite character.

I actually don't mind her now, but when she was an apprentice and a recently made warrior... nope. She is one of the main reasons why I refuse to read the second series ever again. I just can't stand her. One of the very few characters out of all the hundreds of book I've read that I can't stand.

Her personality just gets to me. The way she snaps at other cats when she doesn't get her way. What comes off as her bullying or just bulldozing over others to get a chance to speak. I just.. ugh. She always just came off as a spoiled brat. I wish the Erins had some sort of excuse for her behavior and had her have a realization to stop being such a jerk all the times, but nope. I don't mind that she stands up for herself and doesn't like others defending her, but the way she goes about it is too much for me.

I wish I could go into better detail or give some examples of what exactly bothers me, but there's no way I could bring myself to go through those books again.