April 29, 2017, 02:26:52 AM

Author Topic: Least favorite character  (Read 2483 times)

Offline altias

Re: Least favorite character
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:51 PM »
There are a few characters that are my least favorite, but it seems they're mostly from the newer books - perhaps that's a sign of something. (Either I'm an elitist or the character development is lacking as the books go on...) I'll just note one, though, because it's been a while.

I'm really not a fan of Ashfur. He was fine at first, but the sore argument of "he loved too much!!!" makes me frown a bit. He became possessive over a cat who's somewhat related to him and took it out unfairly on her and her kits. He is full of salt.

ETA: I'm also throwing Crowfeather on here. What better way to say "loyal warrior" than to let an apprentice name himself after a cat he had a crush on who was in another Clan? He treats his new mate badly and his son even worse. He is also full of salt.
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Journey

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
I can't tell if I hate Spottedleaf or hate the way she was written/portrayed. Everything she did was "wise and gentle", as if she could do no wrong. She was beautiful and kind and all-knowing...bleh. Overall, I think she was just a boring, flat character with no dimension whatsoever.

While Onewhisker was pretty kick-butt, I absolutely hate him as Onestar. I understand that he was trying to distance himself from ThunderClan to prove that WindClan didn't need them to survive, but his character did a complete 180 practically overnight, and he went from being one of Firestar's closest friends to being a complete stick in the mud.

Also have to co-sign on what everyone has already said about Squirrelflight and Ashfur...they should have just gotten together and fallen off the face of the series.

Offline Pantherstrike

• ~*~ Official Pearl Fangirl ~*~
  • Warrior
  • 238 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Pantherstrike
  • never made it to 10k posts on v4 rip
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »

While Onewhisker was pretty kick-butt, I absolutely hate him as Onestar. I understand that he was trying to distance himself from ThunderClan to prove that WindClan didn't need them to survive, but his character did a complete 180 practically overnight, and he went from being one of Firestar's closest friends to being a complete stick in the mud.

I also loved Onewhisker and I'm still really confused by how much he changed when he became Onestar. I mean, I understand that he would become more of a stick in the mud to some extent, but it always struck me as just bizarre how much he changed and how quickly. Onestar didn't read like Onewhisker with an attitude adjustment, he read like a completely different character in every way. I don't know what the purpose of that is from a narrative standpoint? It's just not believable at all.

tumblr / pixel by altias / avatar art courtesy of secret santa

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17121 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 08:14:15 PM »
She is one of the main reasons why I refuse to read the second series ever again. I just can't stand her.
I am so glad that I'm not the only one who refuses to read that arc because of her. The Erins tried a bit too hard with her, and I'm afraid Sparkpaw and Alderpaw are going to be the same as Squirrelflight was when she was an apprentice. Here's hoping that they don't kill the chance for development by making the kits the same as Firestar and Squirrelflight.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Heron

• StarClanner
  • 8 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Heron
  • RUNNING IN THE 90'S
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 12:20:19 AM »
I didn't finish the series, so he might have changed or something, but I was not fond of Crowfeather. He treated his family terribly.

Offline Lightflame

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
Ashfur is my least favourite character, although Hyperadam's reasons already perfectly explain my hatred for him, so I don't have much to add there.

I also dislike Brokenstar, because I thought he was an awful villain, and Silverstream, because she was pretty much a living plot device, and a jerk to boot.

Owl Feather as well, for being really annoying in the short time she showed up. I also don't like Yellowfang's father, Brackenfoot, because he felt like a "sports dad", who only loves their kids if they're bringing pride to the family.

Offline hyperadam

• Cry for me, cry for you
  • StarClanner
  • 418 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To hyperadam
  • Kiseki hell
    • 👽 I'm an alien!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Mood: Hyper
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »

I also loved Onewhisker and I'm still really confused by how much he changed when he became Onestar. I mean, I understand that he would become more of a stick in the mud to some extent, but it always struck me as just bizarre how much he changed and how quickly. Onestar didn't read like Onewhisker with an attitude adjustment, he read like a completely different character in every way. I don't know what the purpose of that is from a narrative standpoint? It's just not believable at all.
It's been a while since I read the later parts of the second series, but I always understood it as less an actual change in his personality and more a response to WindClan thinking he was too friendly with ThunderClan/too soft of a leader. Basically, he was severely overcompensating to try and prove that he was a strong leader.

I still agree that it wasn't executed very well, though. And it doesn't explain why he doesn't mellow out later on.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
英雄伝説 空の軌跡 The 3rd

--
| tumblr |

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »
I'm going to add to the chorus for onestar, for the same reasons as before, and crowfeather. I liked him at the beginning of the second series, but as time went on, he lost a lot of his quirks and just ended up being a huge plum pit. I hate reading later on about his relationship to his family. I don't really think it was fair on -looks at smudged writing on hand- rightround
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17121 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 08:33:32 PM »
I didn't finish the series, so he might have changed or something, but I was not fond of Crowfeather. He treated his family terribly.
This does not really change at all, at least from what I got from the books. He seems to care a bit about Leafpool, Lionblaze, Jayfeather, and Hollyleaf, but still shows a lot of resentment towards Breezepelt and Nightcloud.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline sageheart

• buddy i aam afraid
  • Apprentice
  • 1006 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To sageheart
  • absolutely not egg salad
    • View Profile
    • my tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them is best
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
Crowfeather also wins my spot for least favorite character. He's not just a jerk, he's pretty much emotionally abusive to his son and the mate he took to make the Clan "believe he was loyal," or whatever. The way he was still portrayed as sort of an okay dude in TLH disgusts me. Obviously there are quite a few characters who did MUCH worse than him, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he kind of just uses his new family for status. And him mourning a child he didn't raise, and didn't even know about, is supposed to make that ok?

I'm also in the "not a fan of Ashfur" camp, but I totally understand people who love him for his awfulness.

I'll join in the chorus for Onestar, too - he's unbearable, and between him, Crowfeather, and Heathertail, WindClan is my least favorite Clan for book portrayals. I remember in Twilight he gets really hissy with the other leaders for needing some help (in Leopardstar's case, it was poison killing her Clan and Leafpool helped them out by bringing herbs and stuff), and acting way too standoffish and overconfident. If he grew out of it, I'd understand and it'd be a funny little development. But lo and behold, Eclipse rolls around, where he launches an unprovoked attack on ThunderClan for? what reason? i don't even know. he's just a watermelon.

Offline Teezy

• Official Jolyne Fangirl
  • Elder
  • 724 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Teezy
  • "i want to see the starlight"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 10:01:31 AM »
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has a big problem with Crowfeather.

One of the Erins biggest weaknesses as writers is definitely how much they basically excuse their character's awful actions if the character was affiliated with the 'good guys' instead of the Dark Forest and such. I don't mind dastardly characters. A lot of my favorite characters in other series are quite unpleasant but I'm able to like them because while they're complex characters with deeper reasons for the bad things they do the narrative doesn't try to excuse their actions.

A lot of the characters I really dislike (like Ashfur and Crowfeather) in the series are characters I might have been very fond of (in terms of being well-written characters, not fond of them as people... or cats, rather) had the Erins hadn't tried so hard to portray them in a sympathetic light when they're just not sympathetic at all.

Offline Holly

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
ashfur. he was fine until long shadows and then i started leading the ashfur hate squad.
tumblr / twitter / goodreads
who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Offline glimmer

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »
ashfur and crowfeather are pretty high up there for me. i used to like them both (especially crowfeather) but that changed for reasons stated above.

i really disliked squirrelflight when she was first introduced, then grew to like her later, and now i'm just. eh. not really taken in by her anymore i guess. firestar was similar - liked him a lot but gradually stopped as the series drew on.

oh i also reeeaally disliked sol. i wasn't even that intrigued by him, i just wanted him to Stop

blinkie by moss | pixel & clks by altias
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jilda

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 02:50:23 AM »
I don't really like Spottedleaf at all. Her whole character is basically centered around this "great love" she and Firestar supposedly had before her death when it was just a crush. Then when she dies she goes out of her way to continue seeing Firestar in his dreams and probably confuse him further. I just hate the whole idea of that Firestar could possibly love Spottedleaf more than Sandstorm, and to me Spottedleaf is basically obsessed with Firestar in a really unhealthy way.

(click to show/hide)

And I also don't like how everything she does is supposedly perfect, she's a cat who can do no wrong, idek. Girl is so perfect it's a flaw in it of itself.

Feathertail is sort of the same way when it comes to Crowfeather from what we've seen of her in StarClan ( like when she said lion, jay, and holly are important to her since they're Crowfeather's kits ) but with her I don't mind it that much I guess partly cause we aren't constantly bombarded by it anyways, partly because at least she and Crowfeather had gotten to develop their relationship before she died and she was pretty freaking awesome in general.

...I just realized this probably should go into a least favorite shipping thread as Fire/Spotted is by far among the ships I hate the most, buuuut literally it's also the reason I hate Spottedleaf so much, honestly.

thank you ss !! <3

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 912 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
    • 🔮 I can see into the future!
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »
god same on Spottedleaf. I don't know if I dislike her really, but the whole Spottedleaf/Firestar thing to me has just been ??? I was always just like how can this STILL be important.