December 13, 2017, 06:46:20 AM

Author Topic: Best Mentor-Apprentice pairs?  (Read 818 times)

Offline broadwaystar

Best Mentor-Apprentice pairs?
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
The mentorship system in the Clans allows for some interesting relationships to develop between characters. What mentor-apprentice duo stood out to you in the series?

I really enjoyed Yellowfang and Cinderpelt. I thought that they had a pretty well characterized relationship. Yellowfang did a lot to help Cinderpelt cope with her injury and find a place in ThunderClan. Cinderpelt's arc about gaining and losing and gaining confidence was pretty solid, and I don't think it would have worked without Yellowfang. I also loved their banter. :B Ultimately, I think they brought out the best in each other.

Offline altias

Re: Best Mentor-Apprentice pairs?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:58:12 AM »
Yellowfang and Cinderpelt's was really good, imo! I also kinda liked Lionheart and Graystripe's back in the first book. (If I had to pick a worst, though... *stares at Tigerclaw and Ravenpaw's apprentice-mentor relationship*)

I also feel like Bluestar was a nice decision for Firestar's mentor - sure, it seems a bit "prodigy to be" in the way it's set up, but she taught him some valuable stuff as his mentor!
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Jilda

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 02:29:53 AM »
^ I really loved Yellowfang and Cinderpelt too. I also liked Brambleclaw and Firestar a lot, it was an interesting dynamic since at the time he was seen as just Tigerclaw's son.

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17169 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:47:30 AM »
Yellowfang and Cinderpelt was a lovely Mentor-Apprentice relationship, honestly. I also really liked the relationship with Dawnstripe and Tallstar- it was really heartwarming. Another heartwarming one, imho, was Cinderheart and Ivypool. The contrast between those two and Lionblaze and Dovewing was a fresh thing when I got tired of listening to Dovewing's whining.

Also, Cloudtail, Brackenfur, and any of their apprentices. I love how both cats genuinely care about who they're teaching, while still being a mentor. Brackenfur did that when he was given Hollyleaf as an apprentice, and it was really nice.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Jilda

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 04:18:10 AM »
Speaking of Cloudtail on that note actually, I agree. I also love how he'll help cats he cares about in general, like helping Brightheart figure out a whole new way of doing things for example after getting injured. just realized this should probably go onto favorite characters thread lol

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Larkbreeze

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »
I personally thought Sandstorm and Sorreltail made a great pair! sure there wasn't a ton on them, but I liked the idea, I guess. I also appreciated Dustpelt/Squirrelflight. but there are a lot of mentor/apprentice dynamics that we don't know much about (unless they're in books I haven't gotten to yet) that I find really interesting. like for some reason I'm curious about Runningnose/Littlecloud. like hm, what's the dynamic there. and how did Littlecloud deal with all that mucus.....ok but seriously

I know we're supposed to be talking about faves here, but I was kind of annoyed with Brambleclaw/Berrynose? like Berrykit had so much potential in Sunset but then he turned out to be kind of obnoxious. so. that was disappointing. another disappointing pair was Thornclaw/Tigerstar. I was really excited that I'd be able to read about Thornclaw in Bluestar's Journey, but the two just turned out to be almost exactly the same? no development at all. ew

only semi-related but this reminded me of how I was irritated when I was reading Sunset and everyone thought Graystripe had died and Brackenfur was like, "he was my mentor, he taught me so much more than any other cat" like oh my god. no need to be all good-guy about it he was running off with Silverstream your whole damn apprenticeship he taught you nothing don't lie 

I probably forgot a bunch but hopefully I can come back and edit