November 23, 2017, 02:26:38 PM

Author Topic: Genetic Mutations and You  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Darkstar

Genetic Mutations and You
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:28:04 PM »
Well, we know from experience that the Erins can get a little wacky tacky with their cat descriptions. But can a lot of these abnormalities be explained solely by incestuous genetic mutations? Let's take a look.

Clans, as we know, are typically wary of outsiders. Unless an outsider joins every once in a while, the gene pool is limited and many cats may turn out to be related to one another. This means that mutations are very viable under these conditions. Additionally, spontaneous mutations have been reported in many a feral cat colony.

Let's discuss some of the cats with abnormal traits:

The calico and tortoiseshell toms in the series can easily be explained away with Klinefelter's, but there's also a possibility for these cats to be chimeras which would lead to an ability to reproduce (IE: Redtail's case).

Spiderleg was born with the chocolate smoke trait, which barely exists outside of certain pure breeds, but could also spontaneously occur in a feral Clan where the gene pool is limited.

Heathertail has Ojos Azules traits, being a blue-eyed cat with solid brown tabby fur. This was originally a spontaneous genetic mutation found in a feral tortoiseshell cat named Cornflower, and was bred into the Ojos Azules breed.

Firestar would obviously be a cinnamon ticked tabby, again something that isn't an everyday occurrence outside of say the Somali or Abyssinian breeds. He's described as being solid, but the closest thing to solid would be a cinnamon ticked. Green eyes make sense in this way as well.

Anyone have any other genetic abnormalities that could be explained away by comparison to spontaneous mutations in the beginnings of purebred cats?

thanks to altias for the pixel

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17167 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
Re: Genetic Mutations and You
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:34:41 PM »
Wouldn't Blackstar be considered to have some kind of mutation...? Not quite sure how this works, but he is a polydactyl cat. It's kinda interesting that they actually took something real and used it in the series, instead of all these impossible things....although I remember reading that his description is actually the least possible out of the entire series?

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Darkstar

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »
Wouldn't Blackstar be considered to have some kind of mutation...? Not quite sure how this works, but he is a polydactyl cat. It's kinda interesting that they actually took something real and used it in the series, instead of all these impossible things....although I remember reading that his description is actually the least possible out of the entire series?

I suppose if he were a type of seal point, it would make a bit more sense? But as it stands, it would very much have to be a mutation. Though you could explain it by saying he's a seal point and then adding that he must have a faded face mask in that case, or a dilute that makes it blend in with his fur. The only other plausible way is if it were a mutation of a bicolor cat, maybe with too much white... Or even a cross between a bicolor and a seal point.

It does seem like by far, Blackstar is the least genetically possible without the concept of spontaneous mutation.

Offline altias

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »

Of all of them, yeah, probably. White always starts at the paws (or face and chest as well?) and spreads upwards and towards the tail. So, like, his paws... likely wouldnt be all black. It's a bit weird.
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Ivypool

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
I like to believe that Snowfur has very heavy white markings, which explains her grey ear tips.

Also, Weedwhisker and Hawksnow most likely have the 'salt-and-pepper' markings, which are white markings gained from age over time. Would make sense. Then again, it's been a while since I saw that diagram...
Also known as Bbun, but everyone calls me Beebs o3o

Offline Jingle

• Long Live the Queen
  • StarClanner
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Jingle
  • Out with the old. In with the new.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »
this is neat I don't know anything about cats so I never realized anyone besides Blackstar was unusual :)

Also, isn't it plenty likely that Firestar could be some sort of pure-breed? Since he did start off his life as a kittypet?

(click to show/hide)

Offline altias

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:16:53 PM »
this is neat I don't know anything about cats so I never realized anyone besides Blackstar was unusual :)

Also, isn't it plenty likely that Firestar could be some sort of pure-breed? Since he did start off his life as a kittypet?

You'd assume so! But given his family tree (neither of his parents seem to have the genetics needed for the solid ginger/pure breed assumption?), he likely isn't a purebreed. I'd be more inclined to believe he's a cinnamon color, which is non-red but close to it (so it's not auto-tabby, though tabby is dominant over solid, so still unlikely).

ETA: Did a looking into. Both parents carry tabby (and one at least carries smoke, which Firestar also has), so it'd be borderline impossible for him to not have tabby markings. This is assuming his mother didn't have relations to another tom in the same timespan, though, and assuming his mom (and this other tom) isn't carrying solid in that same instance.
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »
Blackstar can be explained if you're a little lenient or creative with imagining how he looks. Like if you imagine he has much more black on him than how most people draw him with. Also I'm gonna throw it out there that I headcanoned him as polydactyl long before that was confirmed eheh...

Also Kinkfur I imagine to be a Selkirk Rex, or at least based off the same mutation. The first cats that had it were not only feral cats of some degree, they were also from England. Would not at all be a stretch to imagine her as this I believe.

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Jilda

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »
I never pay too close attention to coloring which is probably really bad as all my roleplay characters are probably extremely unrealistic but I just don't have the time to research genetics lol. But I learned a surprising amount from this thread, all these things being explained is really nice.

But... really? Blue eyes are near impossible on brown tabbies? so many genetically mutated cats out there in rps lmao

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Darkstar

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »
I never pay too close attention to coloring which is probably really bad as all my roleplay characters are probably extremely unrealistic but I just don't have the time to research genetics lol. But I learned a surprising amount from this thread, all these things being explained is really nice.

But... really? Blue eyes are near impossible on brown tabbies? so many genetically mutated cats out there in rps lmao

There would have to be an awful lot of cats carrying the Ojos Azules trait. That or brown tabbies with a considerable amount of white on them, but even then they'd have to come from cats carrying a heavily dominant blue-eyed gene.

Offline Jilda

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 07:01:11 PM »

There would have to be an awful lot of cats carrying the Ojos Azules trait. That or brown tabbies with a considerable amount of white on them, but even then they'd have to come from cats carrying a heavily dominant blue-eyed gene.
So say a cat like... Hawkfrost, he too would have the ojos azules trait?

thank you ss !! <3

Offline thunderpetal

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
alright.. for one i think there should be less female orange tabbies
and second.. i was on this website yesterday and someone mentioned this:
Greystripe and Silverstream had a kit with dominant allele that were not possible. You would have to be a pure bred Russian blue!
so GOOD JOb erins
hi, im thunderpetal
infp | on vainglory NA server @thunderpetal