April 24, 2017, 06:20:32 AM

Author Topic: Ww Guide / FAQ  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
Ww Guide / FAQ
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
Base FAQ written by @Spellmaster!
Other contributors: @Sunneth, @lavender, @Darkforestwarrior, [other people can be listed here too]

This is a constant work in progress, so feel free to leave comments, other questions you think should be added, tips, tutorials, etc! If anybody needs to be credited for anything else, let me know and I'll stick you in here too!

Who is in charge here?
@Blizz is the founder and owner of Warrior's Wish, but currently @Sunneth, @Pine, @Leafpool, and @Darkstar are the co-admin/mods (aka modmins) of the forum. The Blizz account on this forum is actually just a placeholder, and she isn't here at all, but the modmins still have contact with her.

Who has contributed to Ww?
A lot of people have contributed to Ww over the years, for things that have fallen to the wayside, so in no way will this be a comprehensive list, but!
  • Feathers and herb pixels -- @altias

"In loving memory of Adam Dick." ?
Adam, or grassy, was a long-time member of Ww, since the first forum opened in 2006. In early 2013, he passed away from sudden heart failure. We know he would have loved to see Ww still going strong like this, so we've dedicated v5 to his memory. <3

Why can't I see some boards when I'm not logged in?
A select few boards are not visible to guests, to protect our members' privacy, such as the Advice & Life board. If you want to see these boards, log in or register an account.

What are the dimensions of the avatars/signatures?
Avatars are at a 2:3 ratio. The default theme shows avatars at 200x300, so you should upload an image at least that big. The other themes show avatars at a slightly smaller size.
Currently there is no size limit restriction on signatures, but we may implement one in the future. If you want to have large images, please be sure to put them in a spoiler tag so they don't stretch the page.

Can I change my username/login name or display name?
You can change your display name in your profile, but to change your login name you need a mod's assistance. In order to have your username changed, your password will be automatically reset, so make sure your email is up-to-date and accessible so you can reset your password. PM Sunneth if you'd like! (This probably won't really be necessary, but on v4 login/display names were the same, so some people signed up here with a username that wasn't just plain text. It is possible to fix so don't worry!)

How do I change my forum layout?
If the default forum layout isn't quite working out for you, visit your profile, hit Modify Profile, and under "Look and Layout", the very top option is "Current Theme." The text descriptions of each theme don't seem to be editable, so they're not accurate, but feel free to test out each theme to find which works best for you.

Why does everyone on Ww love fruit so much?
Typical to most forums, Ww censors words that are inappropriate (curse words, slurs, etc). Except on Ww, your words will turn into various fruits. (Why? Why not?)
If you're over 18, an option will appear in your Profile (Look and Layout) to "Leave words uncensored".
(Remember that one of Ww's rules is to refrain from these words too much, though. If you're curious about which words turn into which fruits, you can send yourself a private message to test things out. This way you're safe from the wrath of the mods, unless you choose to report your own message :P)

"Why is my post turning characters into a diamond with a question mark? (�)"
The forum can't support certain characters, so it turns them into a mystery box. This shows up the most with Word's "smart quotes", like when you copy-paste something from Word onto here.
Here is a tool that will convert "smart" text to plain text so it posts on the forum all right. It won't work with any other special characters, though, like accented letters.

What are Prey Points/PP?
Prey Points are our form of currency. You can earn PP in the following ways:
  • Starting new threads (8 pp per thread)
  • Posting on existing threads (2 pp per post)
  • Winning contests in the challenges board
  • Getting interest from the pp you have stored in the bank (1.5% per day; resets at midnight GMT or 6pm Ww forum time)

You can use PP to buy cards from the site shop, to pay other users for things they sell in the Shops board, or to buy fresh kill for your clan (see below).

What are feathers? What are herbs?
  • The feathers that appear under posts are awards. Mouseover the feather or check the Awards section of your profile to see what each feather is for. Some are earned by having certain numbers of posts, reputation points, etc., and others are for participating around the forum. Many will be added to your profile automatically when you earn them; others are requestable and must be approved or assigned by a mod before you receive them. To request a requestable feather, visit the "Available Awards" list on your profile and click the icon of a medal in a hand ("Request Award"). As mentioned, these have to be approved manually, and admins don't get notifications for requested awards, so feel free to poke us somewhere and ask us to check!
  • Herbs are earned through The Medicine Cat's Quests, special scavenger hunts that might take longer than average scavenger hunts.
    As of right now they don't display on your posts, but they are viewable when you look at your awards on your profile. The first post in the link up there has a list of rules and prizes you can win, so make sure to check it out and look for the most recent challenge!

What is reputation?
The reputation number on profiles is a "karma" system. When you "purr" another user by pressing the button on their profile, their reputation increases. There is no limit to how many users you can purr, but you can purr the same user only once every five hours. Having a high reputation can net you some feathers; other than that, it's just a way of showing appreciation for other users.
-- Why do some people have negative reputation?
In the shop is a "Raid" item that lets you attempt to steal Prey Points from other users. It has a pretty high chance of failing, and as punishment for being a naughty warrior, you'll lose 10 reputation for each raid. Be careful!

What is fresh kill?
Fresh kill is the point system we use for clan competitions. You can learn more about both here.

What are the Clans for and how do I join one?
There are two ways to join a Clan now. If you wish to roleplay, you must create a character or adopt an NPC. To make a character, head to the character creation section of the forum. Make sure you read the manual, purchase your descriptors with pp, and then you are free to create your character. You will then automatically be placed into the group that your character is in! (Note, at this time you may have two characters, but they must both be in the same clan. This is subject to change eventually but for now it's this way.)

If you do not with to roleplay, you may join one of the Clan Clubs! Joining a Clan Club is an easier process, simply message a mod telling them which clan you want to be in, and the mod will give you that clan's password. Note, if you want to do this and also want to roleplay, you can join both! Your roleplay character's clan and your Clan Club clan do NOT have to match. Join whichever one you like!

Why are members' names appearing as links/How do I link other members?
Names lit up as links are mentions. Typing @username will alert that member that someone has mentioned them. The mentions appear in a list on your profile; a [1] will appear in the tab when you have a mention. To view it, go to your profile, hover over "Profile Info", and click "Mentions".
Please note that if you edit an @mention into your post, the member will not be notified! Only pings that are in a post when it is first posted will work. (The member will be able to see the mention on their mentions page, but they just won't receive the little notice about it.)

How do I link to a specific post?
The default forum layout is a little tricky for this, because it doesn't have a title on each post. Catscratch, Lake, and the Nostalgia theme are much easier; you can simply click on the "Re: [Post Topic]" that appears at the top of the reply.
On the main theme, the easiest way is to quote the post you want linked, press Preview, and click on the "Quote from: [member] on [time]" text, as that is a direct link to the post. (See lavender's post for a step-by-step with images! It's a couple posts below this one.)
So why doesn't it actually link to the post?
The default theme also has a glitch where the page won't scroll down to the post it's linked to. The link works, but it displays incorrectly. If you check on Catscratch/Lake/Nostalgia themes, you will see it working correctly!

What are referrals?
The referral count on a member's profile reflects how many users they've gotten to join the forum. When a person joins and puts in another member's referral link (found on your profile summary), that member will get another referral point. These can be exchanged for PP here.
You can earn an award feather for having enough referrals, so spread the word!

What does "preferred pronouns" mean?
Preferred pronouns are how you wish others to address you, e.g. "she/her," "they," etc. If you have a particular set of pronouns you would like others to use, you can list them on your profile.

I know I read the last post on this thread, so why is it marked as new?
When the most recent post on a thread is edited, the thread is marked as unread for the users who haven't clicked it since the edit. If a thread has been bumped but has no new posts, check the last post for new content.
This also means that there's no need to double post anymore! If you have the most recent post on a thread but want to add something new, just edit your last post -- the thread will be bumped automatically.

What are bookmarks?
The Bookmarks tab is a list of topics that you've bookmarked. It's similar to your browser's Bookmarks feature/tool, but it's part of Ww, so if you visit Ww from any browser, your bookmarks will be there. It's handy for keeping track of certain topics without forcing you to go look in the boards for them.
As far as I can tell, bookmarks do not give notifications, so you'll need to check the tab manually to see if there's any new posts.

How do drafts work?
The draft system allows you to save unfinished posts for later. Any time you're typing up a reply or a new thread, you can hit the Save as Draft button to store a copy of what you've typed without posting it. If you want to make changes, hitting Save as Draft again on the same reply will replace your old draft with a new one (or it SHOULD, but may not always; sunneth once had like four copies of the same thing). You can load your drafts from the Your Drafts section below the full post editor, or from your profile. Pressing the Edit Draft button (which should show up as a little pencil icon on most skins) will load your draft into the text editor and automatically take you to the thread/board it was saved from.
Drafts do not auto-save, so make sure to save your work manually! You can delete drafts from any page where you can edit them.

How do you use the Media Center?
Good question! It's very specific about what you need to do, and several things seem pretty counter-intuitive. Here is a very in-depth guide! (If you're on the default Ww theme, the post probably won't directly link, so just scroll down.)

What/where is the oekaki?
Oekaki is a Japanese word that has to do with drawing, basically. An oekaki is an online art doodler type program where you can draw or upload your art. Ww has its own oekaki! You can get to it from the Fanworks board, where there is a redirect subboard link, or you can click here: Ww Oekaki. There's an FAQ on that site if you have more questions. Please note that the oekaki has its own database, so you'll have to make an account over there as well if you want to use it.

topics on which we could still use entries (feel free to contribute in the comments!):
- cards/card shop (where, what, how to buy, why)
- general profile settings/how to change things (an in-depth separate post would be nice)
- site modules (fanfics)

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
Re: Frequently Asked Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »
Reserving~

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
Reserving~~

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:41 PM »
Reserving~~~

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »
Reserving~~~~

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50720 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:20:52 PM »
I would link to posts like Lavender did too but I don't know how to get direct links to posts x_x

There's a couple ways on Lake Theme Great Theme, but I'll check out how to do it on other forum skins...

The easiest way is to grab it from the "Re:" link above the post on the skins "Lake Territory" and "Catscratch"
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
From here you can left-click and grab the url from the address bar, or right-click and "Copy link address"

The way I hear most people on other forum skins are doing it is to quote the post and grab the info from there
(click to show/hide)

just thought I'd drop this here too

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50720 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:23:31 AM »
here's something helpful from the official feedback thread of yours (I'm frequently tracking it down)

regarding "Why is my post coming up with a diamond with a question mark "

Here's a tool that converts Word's stupid smart text to plain text, which might help in cases like what Lav took a screenshot of!:
http://jhy.io/tools/convert-word-to-plain-text

Might not help with words with accents, though :( rip speaking in french

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
So I'm currently learning all the ins and outs of the Media Center, and I think I have it pretty well figured out now. I could write up a post explaining the basics if that would be helpful! (about to head out in a sec so I would end up doing it later)

I also created a Test Album that anyone can upload to so that anyone who wants can try things out

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50720 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »
So I'm not entirely sure how to word this but
Concerning Bookmarks:
they function sort of like the "view the topics you're posted on" from v4 except you have to add the topics manually but it's great! I love it a lot
they're a neat way to keep track of threads that you're particularly interested in & lets you keep a list of topics and see when they update without having to search for them on the boards.

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »
thanks friends!! Added all the new stuff!

@Darkforestwarrior that would help a lot! As you can see by my eloquent answer of "good question", I haven't really messed with it yet :P

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50720 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »
How do drafts work?:
if you're typing up a reply or creating a thread and decide for whatever reason that you can't or don't want to post it immediately (maybe it's a work-in-progress), you can use the "Save as Draft" button to keep what you've typed without posting it.
you can see these accumulating every time you use Post reply (rather than quick reply), and you can click the pencil to edit your draft. If you try to edit a new topic from there, though, it will yell at you.

go to profile > show drafts to prevent that from happening

if you decide that you do not need a draft, you can delete them from the same menu (and no one will be any the wiser c;) test test
DRAFTS DO NOT AUTO-SAVE, and new versions of a drafted post WILL replace old versions of a drafted post

Offline Spellmaster

• Strong Black-Furred Loner Who Don't Need No Clan
  • Elder
  • 114 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Spellmaster
  • alike unfit to sink or soar
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • ruination-fangs @ tumblr
    • Awards
  • Mood: Nerdy
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
last night when I was trying to get to sleep I thought of something this needs but now I can't remember it......

ha I was just in the process of typing up a drafts thing. ig I'll post it anyway, maybe sunneth can fuse them

The draft system allows you to save unfinished posts for later. Any time you're typing up a reply or a new thread, you can hit the Save as Draft button to store a copy of what you've typed without posting it. If you want to make changes, hitting Save as Draft again on the same reply will replace your old draft with a new one. You can load your drafts from the Your Drafts section below the full editor, or from your profile. Pressing the Edit Draft button (which should show up as a little pencil icon on most skins) will load your draft into the text editor and automatically take you to the thread/board it was saved from.

you can see these accumulating every time you use Post reply (rather than quick reply), and you can click the pencil to edit your draft. If you try to edit a new topic from there, though, it will yell at you.
wait what's it doing to you when you try to edit new topics?? I think it works fine for me (if I'm understanding what you mean)

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50720 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
it was going like "phhhbbbbt. can't start a new topic here :P"

but I guess whatever nonsense that was resolved itself, as I've just tested

meanwhile: the oekaki is a completely different member system than the forum and you must register a new account on its page before posting

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
OK here is the promised write up on the Media Center! I went kinda in depth so apologies for the length ;__;

----------

What is the Media Center?
The Media Center is basically a place you can upload files to the forum. It can be found by clicking the Media tab at the top of the forum, or alternatively, you may click this link. The biggest use it usually gets is uploading pictures, but you can upload any of the following file types:

Image Files up to 20000 KB, Video Files up to 20000 KB, Audio Files up to 20000 KB, and Documents up to 20000 KB

How do I make an Album?
The first thing you will need to do is create an album to put your files in. To do this, click the Media tab and find a link that says "My Albums". On this page, you will find a button that says "New Album". Click this button.

You will get a form with these options:
Name - This is what your new album's title will be.
Description - A description for your album. You can use BBCode to make your description look nice if you want!
Icon - Basically a thumbnail for your album. (Note, transparent icons seem to not show up properly when directly viewing an album. Use A JPEG image for best results.)
Permission Profile - IMPORTANT NOTE HERE! You need to switch your permission profile to All Access or you will not be able to add anything to your album! If you accidentally create an album with the Default Profile setting, don't worry, you can edit it and switch it to All Access, there is no need to create a new album.
Position - The position you would like your album to be in relation to the target album. If this is your first album this option doesn't need to be touched.
Target - This is the album the position album is referring to. If in the previous option you select before, your new album will appear before the target album. If you select after, it will be sorted after the target album. If you select child of, your new album will appear WITHIN the target album. Keep this in mind for keeping your albums organized!
Default Sort Order - A drop down menu of options for sorting your files that you upload into this album.
Items View - A couple of options for how the file info will be displayed in your album. I find Filestack view to be a bit more of a minimalistic look than Normal.

With all these options filled in, you can, if you would like, change permissions. There are permissions for guests and for members (those who have signed up on ww). If you check mark the box that says read, that means any members in that group can view your files. If you check mark the box that says write, it will allow members in that group to upload files to your album. Note however, you cannot grant guests permission to write files to your album.
Scrolling further, you also have the options to grant/remove permissions for only certain members, and you can also give your album a password. This is all pretty self-explanatory I think (though I can expand on this if anyone needs)

Highslide animated transitions is pretty much useless, I honestly recommend leaving these settings alone, I have changed them and can't see a difference.

This may seem like a lot of info, but it's all very simple click and choose stuff and so creating your album should be quick. You can now click submit and you will see your album appear.

I have my album, what do I do now?
Go to your album of choice through Media > My Albums and click on the album of your choice.

To upload one file to your album, click "Add an item to this album" - you will be given some options for your image, and can add a formatted caption if your would like
-Note 1: keywords must be separated by commas
-Note 2: if you upload a thumbnail, that is what will show until the image is actually clicked
To upload multiple files at the same time, click "Mass upload" - you will get less options for your files with this method, but you can edit the individual files later if you choose
To edit your album click "Edit"
To download multiple files from your album click "Mass download" - you will get to choose which files you want, and it will download as a ZIP file

How do I comment on or Rate photos?
Click on the photo you are interested on and it will zoom in, then you want to click the little button that says "Details"
To comment, scroll to the very bottom of the details page and find the comment button.
-Note 1: pinging people with @username does not work in the Media Center, they will not be notified if you do this
To rate, there is a drop down box in the middle of the page that says rate it, simply select the rating to give from the drop down and click the "Rate It!" button

What other options do I have for my files?
When viewing the details page for a file, you are also given the following:
-BBC embed code - for anywhere that uses BBCode. This is what you will want to use if you are sharing your images on the forums here (it will embed as a tumbnail that will zoom in if anyone clicks it)
-HTML embed code - for any place that uses HTML instead
-Direct link - this will take you directly to the file (you can stick this link in between IMG code to embed the photo into a post)

----------

I think that covers the main functions of the Media Center! If any of this seems confusing I can try and reword stuff, and I would be glad to try and help anyone who is still confused via PM too. I am also leaving Test Album 3 open to any member who wants to test out uploading things. Hope that's helpful :3

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Spellmaster

• Strong Black-Furred Loner Who Don't Need No Clan
  • Elder
  • 114 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Spellmaster
  • alike unfit to sink or soar
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • ruination-fangs @ tumblr
    • Awards
  • Mood: Nerdy
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »
last night when I was trying to get to sleep I thought of something this needs but now I can't remember it......
I REMEMBERED I think it was signature/avatar sizes and stuff

How do I set an avatar?
When you create an account, you'll be randomly assigned one of the forum's default cat avatars. If you wish to use something else, you can change your avatar by going to Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile. In this menu, you can choose not to use an avatar, pick one from the forum's gallery, link to an online image*, or upload a file from your computer. Avatars have a 2:3 ratio; at their biggest they're 200 x 300 pixels (width x height). If you use a smaller image it may be stretched or resized on certain skins.

* To link to an image, you need its url. Either open the image in a new tab/window, highlight the url, and copy and paste it, or right-click the image, choose the "copy url" option, and paste that.

How do I change my signature?
Your signature is the text and images that show up beneath your posts. To edit it, go to Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile. Currently there is no size limit restriction on signatures, but we may implement one in the future. If you want to have large images, please be sure to put them in a spoiler tag so they don't stretch the page.

also here's my layout suggestion, although a lot of these things could fall under multiple categories so you can move the topics around however you see fit

General Forum and Account Information
- mods, contributions, note about grassy, hidden boards, media center, oekaki
- setting avatars/signatures, reputation, preferred pronouns, referrals

Using the Forum
- changing forum layout/skin, fruit censors, unsupported characters in posts, mentions, linking to specific posts, edits marked as new posts, bookmarks/drafts

Ww Activities and Events
- PP, fresh kill, clans, feathers/herbs (add info about how to view and get), (cards and card shop), (bank?)