April 27, 2017, 07:53:33 AM

Author Topic: How do you see them?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17117 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
How do you see them?
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
We all know that not all of the characters have constant descriptions: Mapleshade being a perfect example. We also have Longtail, Firestar, ect. The brown or silver Longtail debate has been going on for ages, and we all know the thing with Firestar only being shown as a solid cat, despite being called ginger. There's also Tawnypelt, who some see as a tawny-color, and some who see her as a tortoiseshell cat.

So, how do you guys see each character?

Personally, I see Dustpelt as a light brown cat, actually. I'm not sure why, but when I first started reading Warriors, I didn't catch on to the fact that Dustpelt was actually dark brown, so ever since then, I've always drawn him as this lighter brown tabby with darker stripes. I also see a lot of people draw Tawnypelt as a darker tortie and a lighter tortie.

It's amazing how different we can interpret each character just by a name... of course, I'm not one for tradionalism, so you could name a pure white cat Blackheart or something like that and I wouldn't notice.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Journey

Re: How do you see them?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »
I always saw Graystripe as a dark gray tabby...just never bought the whole "one gray stripe running down his back" thing. And I still picture Blackstar as a black cat, not as white with black paws.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 912 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
    • 🔮 I can see into the future!
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »
I just learned about the gray Longtail thing and um yeah brown Longtail all the way....

also does ginger not mean solid?? i just thought ginger meant orange

Offline broadwaystar

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
I always pictured Yellowfang as having yellowish fur for the longest time. I tend to have trouble paying close attention to descriptions. =P

I see Firestar as being a solid orange color, like on the cover of ItW. I've always thought of Longtail as having brown fur. Tawnypelt is tortoiseshell to me.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17117 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »
also does ginger not mean solid?? i just thought ginger meant orange
Pretty much all ginger cats are tabbies, realistically. Yet Firestar and Squirrelflight are the only two main characters that are ginger that haven't been specifically called tabbies that we've found yet...which is kinda interesting- they use 'tabby' a lot within the series, yet Firestar hasn't been called it once.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 912 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »
>warriors characters
>realistically

I always saw Firestar as being solid and Squirrelflight as being tabby actually

Offline Journey

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
I just learned about the gray Longtail thing and um yeah brown Longtail all the way....

What is this gray blasphemy! I always saw him as light brown.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17117 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »

What is this gray blasphemy! I always saw him as light brown.

Story time!

Okay, so this probably started on the wiki (as most things do- like Bone's rainbow collar)- as a default coloring for tabbies who don't have a shade specified, we use brown. That's what we had for Longtail for...like...forever, until someone found a cite in Rising Storm that calls him silver. His images were then tweaked to silver for the longest time.. There was also another cite in that same book that called Longtail brown- which since it came after the silver cite, it was ruled as a mistake and we let it go.

After more than enough vandalism and comments about Longtail's pelt color, I finally decided to ask one of the users on Kate's blog about it, since she wrote Rising Storm. She explained that she saw Longtail as brown, not silver, so we had to change his images back to brown, making the silver mention in Rising Storm false.. as believe it or not, to our knowledge, his pelt color's only really been said that one time. Every other time, it's like "tabby" or "pale tabby".

So yeah, that's where that comes from. He's now a cited pale brown tabby with black stripes, instead of a silver-and-black tabby.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 912 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »
wowee

yeah i think pale tabby is probably what i remember or what stuck out to me and solidified the tan/light brown imagine in my mind

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 11:51:15 PM »
I always pictured Yellowfang as having yellowish fur for the longest time. I tend to have trouble paying close attention to descriptions. =P

I see Firestar as being a solid orange color, like on the cover of ItW. I've always thought of Longtail as having brown fur. Tawnypelt is tortoiseshell to me.
A+ opinions these are all right and I won't believe anything else
especially the Yellowfang part? She's always been a scrawny, not-flat-faced yellow-tannish cat to me. Not gray and fluffy and with a flat face. She's totally an older Sandstorm (who, by the way, I see as a sandy yellow, and not ginger like she has been described to be, I think).

I think Sorreltail is supposed to be tortoiseshell but I always imagine her as calico (unless she is calico, then yay). All calico cats I tend to imagine having a lot of white. I always wanted to draw Sorreltail and Cherrytail and other calicos but the markings are so hard :C

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17117 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:27:33 AM »
I think Sorreltail is supposed to be tortoiseshell but I always imagine her as calico (unless she is calico, then yay). All calico cats I tend to imagine having a lot of white. I always wanted to draw Sorreltail and Cherrytail and other calicos but the markings are so hard :C
I was told that calicos are tortoiseshells or something along those lines??? I know someone asked Vicky about having a calico in the series and she said something about them always thinking they were the same thing..?

The only other thing I could think of was that calico is a type of pelt style? I'm honestly not sure and I'm horrible with cat stuff.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 912 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 12:29:31 AM »
i always think of tortoiseshells as mostly black/dark brown and calicos as more white/orange/light brown but i don't know anything about cats

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4977 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »
I was under the impression that torties are the brown/black/orange pattern, and calicos are that but with white, but maybe a cat expert will come enlighten us

or I could just google it
supposedly calicos are white-based with large patches of black, brown, and orange and the colors don't usually mix, while torties are brindled/mixed together and mostly darker. torties can have white, but white-based cats are calico
that's probably very non-scientific and simplified, but ~yay~

Offline altias

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 03:16:38 AM »
I was under the impression that torties are the brown/black/orange pattern, and calicos are that but with white, but maybe a cat expert will come enlighten us

or I could just google it
supposedly calicos are white-based with large patches of black, brown, and orange and the colors don't usually mix, while torties are brindled/mixed together and mostly darker. torties can have white, but white-based cats are calico
that's probably very non-scientific and simplified, but ~yay~

Torties and calicoes are the same, but are classified as either one or the other depending on the white spotting percentage - 30% and less is tortie, 31%+ is calico.

Torties are always ginger mixed with black, brown, or another nondilute color (like cinnamon), but dilute ones are always cream (dilute ginger) with blue (gray), light brown, or another dilute color (like... fawn? I think?). Brown/black, blue/ginger, and black/ginger, for a few examples, aren't genetically sound O:

Torties always have XX genes because X carries one pelt color apiece - meaning if you want to mottle two together you'd need two of those bad boys. There are XXY cats that are designated male at birth, but those are usually sickly and infertile (and often don't live very long if not cared for!).

Redtail and Sol are both assumed XXY (and fertile, given Redtail had kits?), but I really like trans Redtail (and probably trans Sol), myself!
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Hawk

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:50 AM »
To me, Longtail is really pale brown with darker brown stripes on his legs and tail. Also, I always pictured Tawnypelt as a calico instead of a tortie.