June 29, 2017, 05:35:23 AM

Author Topic: How do you see them?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17149 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
Re: How do you see them?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 05:11:41 AM »
I was under the impression that torties are the brown/black/orange pattern, and calicos are that but with white, but maybe a cat expert will come enlighten us

or I could just google it
supposedly calicos are white-based with large patches of black, brown, and orange and the colors don't usually mix, while torties are brindled/mixed together and mostly darker. torties can have white, but white-based cats are calico
that's probably very non-scientific and simplified, but ~yay~

Torties and calicoes are the same, but are classified as either one or the other depending on the white spotting percentage - 30% and less is tortie, 31%+ is calico.

Torties are always ginger mixed with black, brown, or another nondilute color (like cinnamon), but dilute ones are always cream (dilute ginger) with blue (gray), light brown, or another dilute color (like... fawn? I think?). Brown/black, blue/ginger, and black/ginger, for a few examples, aren't genetically sound O:

Torties always have XX genes because X carries one pelt color apiece - meaning if you want to mottle two together you'd need two of those bad boys. There are XXY cats that are designated male at birth, but those are usually sickly and infertile (and often don't live very long if not cared for!).

Redtail and Sol are both assumed XXY (and fertile, given Redtail had kits?), but I really like trans Redtail (and probably trans Sol), myself!
Cue cat expert. ^^

That explains a lot and actually might help with future OCs...

Apparently Redtail is fertile, but the Erins have said before that they don't actually know much about genetics or anything of the sort, hence why we have tortie toms (which is supposed to be damn near impossible to even get) who last much longer than kithood. We have Redtail, Sol, and Robinwing of RiverClan that I can remember. I don't know if there are any others- we have such a large cast list, so I wouldn't be shocked if I forgot one...

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline altias

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 05:58:48 AM »
I was under the impression that torties are the brown/black/orange pattern, and calicos are that but with white, but maybe a cat expert will come enlighten us

or I could just google it
supposedly calicos are white-based with large patches of black, brown, and orange and the colors don't usually mix, while torties are brindled/mixed together and mostly darker. torties can have white, but white-based cats are calico
that's probably very non-scientific and simplified, but ~yay~

Torties and calicoes are the same, but are classified as either one or the other depending on the white spotting percentage - 30% and less is tortie, 31%+ is calico.

Torties are always ginger mixed with black, brown, or another nondilute color (like cinnamon), but dilute ones are always cream (dilute ginger) with blue (gray), light brown, or another dilute color (like... fawn? I think?). Brown/black, blue/ginger, and black/ginger, for a few examples, aren't genetically sound O:

Torties always have XX genes because X carries one pelt color apiece - meaning if you want to mottle two together you'd need two of those bad boys. There are XXY cats that are designated male at birth, but those are usually sickly and infertile (and often don't live very long if not cared for!).

Redtail and Sol are both assumed XXY (and fertile, given Redtail had kits?), but I really like trans Redtail (and probably trans Sol), myself!

Cue cat expert. ^^

That explains a lot and actually might help with future OCs...

Apparently Redtail is fertile, but the Erins have said before that they don't actually know much about genetics or anything of the sort, hence why we have tortie toms (which is supposed to be damn near impossible to even get) who last much longer than kithood. We have Redtail, Sol, and Robinwing of RiverClan that I can remember. I don't know if there are any others- we have such a large cast list, so I wouldn't be shocked if I forgot one...

Not so much a cat expert, but after tryin' to make realistic cat characters I had to do some research myself! o/

I didn't know about Robinwing, hmm. I still prefer my trans headcanons to making 'em infertile and sickly - I just wish the Erins had done some actual research.

Speaking of: Kate actually posted about that particular topic. The site is a bit slow to load (book spoilers within!), but one of the last questions she's asked pertains to how much research they did.

Welp! Okay. Making a cat book in a realistic setting? Just throw all cat genetics and related subjects out the dang window. That's the Erin Hunter Way (tm)!
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Lightflame

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »
Spottedleaf's picture in The Ultimate Guide is how I've always picture Mapleshade.

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46758 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
    • 🕷 I'm a spider!
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »
Regarding tortoiseshells vs. calicos, the term "calico" is hardly ever used in the UK and cats that are ginger, black, and white (or similar colouring) are generally just referred to as tortoiseshell or tortoiseshell-and-white. I think "tortoiseshell" is sort of an umbrella term, but also refers more specifically to a mottled black and ginger cat. I'm guessing this is why the Erins have never, to my knowledge, referred to any of their characters as calico, as the word is mostly only used in America :)

I imagined Longtail as being white, or very pale grey, with black stripes.

It was only when I started seeing fan art of Yellowfang that I realised she was portrayed with a flattened face. Before that, if anyone here ever played the PF. Magic Catz games, I imagined her as a grey version of the Alley Cat xD

Cat image from Sobi. Lyrics by Twilight Force.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »
Squirrelflight and Firestar were always solid color to me. Though lately, I picture Firestar as having pale tabby stripes.

Longtail had been a pale brown for me. It was so hard imagining him as gray.

Yellowfang started off as being a sandy-colored cat, but I switched over pretty quick once I realized my mistake.

I could never picture Redtail as a tortie. He was always just a ginger and white tabby to me. Now, Sol being a tortie makes sense to me. Tawnypelt I have a hard time as picturing being a tortie. It's easier for me to picture her as being a light brown (though there are times when I see her as a dilute tortie/torbie - but those are in the minority).

Blackstar is a weird case where I imagine him looking the way he's described, but whenever I draw him it just doesn't look right at all.

I also pictured Ivypool as being a silver tabby point for awhile.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17149 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
I also pictured Ivypool as being a silver tabby point for awhile.
Well, she is a silver tabby.. but a silver tabby point would be really pretty and now I like this idea. Given that the only place we know she has stripes is her tail (idk she was described with a striped tail, which seems really pointless to say), she could very well be some kind of tabby point. I like this idea and will support it until I have been proven otherwise.

And even then I will deny canon.

Offline Archy

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:15 PM »
When I first got into Warriors, I thought the Thunderpaths were where lions and "monsters" were. Not actual cars o_O For the longest time, I thought Yellowfang was literally a yellow furred cat and when I found out she was flat-faced AND charcoal, needless to say I was shocked.
Dumb looser nerd who likes cats, reading, and Nintendo. Enthusiast of coconut cream pies. Unoriginal bio <3 NNID : Archeops127; FC: 1349-5096-5450. Conor R.

Offline Spellmaster

• Strong Black-Furred Loner Who Don't Need No Clan
  • Elder
  • 124 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Spellmaster
  • alike unfit to sink or soar
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • ruination-fangs @ tumblr
    • Awards
  • Mood: Nerdy
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »
I probably see most of the cats wrong because I don't know what so many of them are supposed to look like... Unless they're described a lot or I have to check the allegiances a lot, I tend to just forget the specifics. there's too many of them...

I think I always imagined Firestar as mostly solid orange, but I can easily see him with tabby stripes too. Yellowfang is still kind of a dull yellow-gray to me. Dustpelt has always been gray-brown because dust being brown does not make sense to me. Longtail... I think I remember mostly as light brown, but I never quite understood his markings so I probably went back and forth with black and silver and everything.

I've always thought of Hawkfrost as a very pale brown tabby... I guess because of the 'frost' in his name? I feel like he should be lighter than he is.

Offline glimmer

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »
i imagined longtail as pale brown. i also imagine squirrelflight a little darker than firestar, and with more noticeable white on her belly and feet i guess? since it said she had one white paw and my brain just kinda took that and turned it into a bunch of other things.

i imagined sorreltail as calico with black, brown n ginger, and poppyfrost too but with more reddish colours i guess. spottedleaf, sol, blossomfall and tawnypelt are all tortie for me, and my mind can't decide on one for redtail - it keeps flicking back and forth between tortie and calico at random ;;

is dustpelt really dark brown?? i always imagined him as a pale greyish-brown omg

blinkie by moss | pixel & clks by altias
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46758 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
    • 🕷 I'm a spider!
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
is dustpelt really dark brown?? i always imagined him as a pale greyish-brown omg

Same :P

Brackenfur confuses me, because he's described as "golden brown" in the allegiances, so I imagined him as a sort of light, yellowish-brown tabby, but it describes him as ginger in the actual text o_O

Cat image from Sobi. Lyrics by Twilight Force.

Offline Jilda

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »
I refuse to see Dovewing with blue eyes. Nope.

She will always forever have green eyes for me. I just really prefer the idea that all of the three have different eye colors, and was so disappointed when they permanently changed it to blue as it was green originally.

thank you ss !! <3

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 928 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
    • 🔮 I can see into the future!
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
let's be real though i see most of the characters as a cat shaped void

i've been reading bluestar's prophecy and like obviously bluefur is gray and snowfur is white but i don't actually know what anyone else looks like but i don't really notice that i don't

except i see goosefeather as a white cat with yellow feet and mouth/nose area :/

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17149 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 08:24:29 PM »

She will always forever have green eyes for me. I just really prefer the idea that all of the three have different eye colors, and was so disappointed when they permanently changed it to blue as it was green originally.
I prefer her with green eyes myself and the joke with a few of my friends is that she has rainbow colored eyes, which is why the color never stays the same.

Offline Jilda

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »

I prefer her with green eyes myself and the joke with a few of my friends is that she has rainbow colored eyes, which is why the color never stays the same.
Didn't she have amber eyes at some point too ??

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17149 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »

Didn't she have amber eyes at some point too ??
It was gold/pale gold, but tbh it's all the same to me. They could never make up their minds. Kate said at one point that she thinks they're pale gold, but Vicky said blue, and the entire thing is a mess.