April 29, 2017, 02:26:10 AM

Author Topic: How do you see them?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Dawnwing

Re: How do you see them?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:03 PM »
Mostly I picture them as described.  I refuse to accept Birchfall's transformation from gray as a kit to brown as an apprentice/warrior, though; he's still gray in my mind.

I used to picture Longtail as a cream-colored cat with black stripes, but there was one point when I was a kid when I decided to draw all of ThunderClan's cats as they appeared per book (this was when Midnight was out, I think) and then I saw somewhere that he was gray, so I drew him that way and that's how he's been in my mind ever since.

Brackenfur confuses me, because he's described as "golden brown" in the allegiances, so I imagined him as a sort of light, yellowish-brown tabby, but it describes him as ginger in the actual text o_O
I picture Brackenfur as the color on the "date" and "quote" buttons on here.  That can be called "golden-brown" and also "ginger", depending on how you look at it.  If you look at a drying bracken stem, that's what color they are.

Offline Splashy

• RiverClan
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Splashy
  • who lives who dies who tells your story
    • 🍂 LEAVES! LEAVES! LEAVES!
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to RiverClan!
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Graystripe is perpetually a gray tabby to me even though he's not.  Firestar was always solid  because that's how he was depicted in cover images and such, and so is Squirrelflight to me. Leafpool I always saw as being a pale, pale brown tabby, like milky hot chocolate. 

The Longtail debate- I always see him as brown instead of gray for some reason. Though with his character I never particularly paid close attention to his descriptions. A weird one for was Yellowfang- I literally imagined her as a unsaturated yellow. Dustpelt was seen as a gray-brown for me too. 

Given how bad the Erins are with continuity with appearances the characters are always fluid for me. 

Offline Jilda

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 10:47:16 PM »
With the Longtail debate I don't really have a set description of him in my head. Sometimes I picture him cream with black stripes as that's how a lot of fan art draws him, sometimes I picture him gray. I can't for the life of me picture him brown though.

thank you ss !! <3

Offline broadwaystar

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 01:55:09 AM »
Reading this threat made me realize I'm way off in the way I've always pictured Redtail. I've always seen him as a solid red-brown color. 

Offline glimmer

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »
didn't tawnypelt also have the eye colour change issue? i remember her eyes being described as green, amber and possibly yellow at different points...

blinkie by moss | pixel & clks by altias
(click to show/hide)

Offline altias

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »
Redtail never had an eye color assigned to him, but I've always pictured him with orange eyes.
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Spellmaster

• Strong Black-Furred Loner Who Don't Need No Clan
  • Elder
  • 114 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Spellmaster
  • alike unfit to sink or soar
    • 👻 I'm a ghost!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • ruination-fangs @ tumblr
    • Awards
  • Mood: Nerdy
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 05:23:11 PM »
I started Bramblestar's Storm recently and it was the first time I've looked at the main series allegiances in a long time
- Sandstorm is "pale ginger" and I'm not sure exactly what that means but I tend to think of her as a pale yellow/gold like... sand... not really reddish, more tan
- Berrynose and Rosepetal are "cream-" and "dark cream-colored" but I imagine them both as very dark?? when I hear "berry" I think of, like, blackberries or small red berries, not anything creamy
- I've never gotten Ivypool and Dovewing's appearances straight, I think I usually see Dovewing as white with blue eyes and Ivypool as gray with green eyes but I probably change that all the time

actually reading this I've realized I tend to imagine most cats as pretty close to solid colored (including Redtail and Sorreltail), even when they're actually tabbies or tortoiseshells... my brain doesn't want to put that much work into it
but (like moss said) I tend to imagine them mostly as vague shapes so I don't think about their colors much until I have to picture something very specific or I see them drawn or s/t

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17121 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 09:12:24 PM »
didn't tawnypelt also have the eye colour change issue? i remember her eyes being described as green, amber and possibly yellow at different points...
There are a lot of cats with eye color issues tbh. It's quite annoying as hell.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Jilda

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 05:59:46 AM »
Oh i remembered another one

I picture Heathertail with purple eyes even. though. cats. don't. have. that.

cause they said her eyes were the color of heather or w/e it was and its purple, I don't remember specifics

which out of curiosity; does anyone care when cats will be named after their eye colors in the books or when kits have their eye colors right when they open their eyes? It's personally never bothered me, but I know it's a pet peeve for some people in the fandom.

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Dawnwing

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 12:46:14 AM »
Quote from: Jilda

cause they said her eyes were the color of heather or w/e it was and its purple, I don't remember specifics

which out of curiosity; does anyone care when cats will be named after their eye colors in the books or when kits have their eye colors right when they open their eyes? It's personally never bothered me, but I know it's a pet peeve for some people in the fandom.
Oh, Heathertail's purple eyes are one for me too.  It was Kate or Vicky, I think, that said she pictured Heathertail with purple eyes even though cats don't have purple eyes, and that that's what was meant by describing them as the "color of heather".   Her Cats of the Clans picture even looks like it has purple eyes.

Offline Wryfinch

• Elder
  • 751 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wryfinch
  • I have papaya standards I swear.
    • 🍂 LEAVES! LEAVES! LEAVES!
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: xe/xir/xem/xemself
  • Mood: Chipper
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
I never had a clear-cut image of any characters in my head. Call them undetailed sketches, with only the pelt color and general build visible. Eye color is irrelevant.

Honestly, I just picture them all with yellow/orange eyes or kaleidoscopic eyes.... (Accurate Depiction of the Madness: Blue or green?? lol let's just say heterochromia owait how about RAINBOW/PURPLE SQUEEE)

The above CLKs and banners are made by Altias!

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17121 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »

I don't care if a cat's named after their eye color... Do the Erins even know a cat's eye color can change after they're born? I mean, they don't do any research, so...

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline SQ

• boop boop toot toot
  • Leader
  • 1743 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SQ
  • small cat irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »
I think Sorreltail is supposed to be tortoiseshell but I always imagine her as calico (unless she is calico, then yay). All calico cats I tend to imagine having a lot of white. I always wanted to draw Sorreltail and Cherrytail and other calicos but the markings are so hard :C
I was told that calicos are tortoiseshells or something along those lines??? I know someone asked Vicky about having a calico in the series and she said something about them always thinking they were the same thing..?

The only other thing I could think of was that calico is a type of pelt style? I'm honestly not sure and I'm horrible with cat stuff.

Calicos are white based cats with at least two different colors (such as orange and black, or brown and gold splotches) and torties are black based.

thank you, secret santa!! :D

Offline altias

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 03:59:35 PM »
I think Sorreltail is supposed to be tortoiseshell but I always imagine her as calico (unless she is calico, then yay). All calico cats I tend to imagine having a lot of white. I always wanted to draw Sorreltail and Cherrytail and other calicos but the markings are so hard :C
I was told that calicos are tortoiseshells or something along those lines??? I know someone asked Vicky about having a calico in the series and she said something about them always thinking they were the same thing..?

The only other thing I could think of was that calico is a type of pelt style? I'm honestly not sure and I'm horrible with cat stuff.

Calicos are white based cats with at least two different colors (such as orange and black, or brown and gold splotches) and torties are black based.

Actually! Calicoes are just torties with 30%+ white spotting - basically, if they have a lot of white on them. Torties are just calicoes with less than 30% white spotting on them, so less white. Torties and calicoes must have ginger on them in addition to another non-red color (be it cinnamon, black, or chocolate). Dilute torties/calicoes must have cream instead of ginger as well as the dilute version of any of the pre-mentioned colors (fawn, grey/blue, etc). Ginger and other color can either be patched or mottled on the cat. White markings follow the same rules as all other cats with white markings - from the paws, chest, and muzzle, reaching towards the back, and touching the tail last. White markings don't mottle.
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline SQ

• boop boop toot toot
  • Leader
  • 1743 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SQ
  • small cat irl
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

Actually! Calicoes are just torties with 30%+ white spotting - basically, if they have a lot of white on them. Torties are just calicoes with less than 30% white spotting on them, so less white. Torties and calicoes must have ginger on them in addition to another non-red color (be it cinnamon, black, or chocolate). Dilute torties/calicoes must have cream instead of ginger as well as the dilute version of any of the pre-mentioned colors (fawn, grey/blue, etc). Ginger and other color can either be patched or mottled on the cat. White markings follow the same rules as all other cats with white markings - from the paws, chest, and muzzle, reaching towards the back, and touching the tail last. White markings don't mottle.

I was just saying it in a simple way, not very... Technical :x We've always called calicos cats with orange and black that are more than 70% white, so..

thank you, secret santa!! :D