December 14, 2017, 01:01:41 PM

Author Topic: Poor College Kids Club  (Read 29890 times)

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/Her
Poor College Kids Club
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:54:40 PM »
I'm starting college in less than two days (ohno), and since we all talk about college a lot either on other threads or via Skype, I figured why not make a thread devoted to talking about how poor, stressed, and socially reluctant we all are? c:

So yes. What are your majors and minors, do you like your professors, is your school awesome or awful, do you like your roommates and classmates, etc. etc.

Offline equus

• yung photog
  • Warrior
  • 36 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To equus
  • official vegetables fangirl
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Mood: Chill
Re: Poor College Kids Club
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »
i'm starting college in a few weeks!! it's really stressing me out haha
life gets in the way of living

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »
I've been in college way too long but I lived with my parents (community college ftw)

Except now I'm leaving and going somewhere else so college is on hold AGAIN (this keeps happening for so many various reasons orz) I will finish it Someday..............

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
i'm starting college in a few weeks!! it's really stressing me out haha
I feel the same way haha. Although I've started getting emails from professors and assignments, so when I work through those it helps me to calm down a bit.
Also reminding myself that I only have to stress about these classes for half of a public school year makes me feel a lot better too c:

I've been in college way too long but I lived with my parents (community college ftw)
I would LOVE to go to community college because I feel like the stress would lessen if I did, but my parents won't let me; they think it'd just be me giving in to my social anxiety x:

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:07:31 PM »
throws self on ground and Scream

i'm starting college in 9 days to major in english
my school itself is cool but it's huge and terrifying and i don't know anybody and it makes me want to vomit *thumbs up emoji*

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »
@tinyfeather my school is also huge (not student wise but space wise) so I'm also very nervous. I'm fairly certain I'm going to get lost and they have a really strict absent/late policy so tomorrow I'm going to the campus to scout out stuff.

Also is my college the only one that starts on the 19th?
Everyone else in my area starts on the 24th and I'm like D:

Offline Addeh

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:11:31 PM »
I start my junior year of college September 2nd. I'm majoring in Creative Writing!! :) I'm kinda nervous about the semester because of bio and I'm taking a lot of advanced classes (obvs but still intimidating). But I have a good support system so I know I'll be okay!

(click to show/hide)
tumblr

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 07:15:49 PM »
@Addeh that's awesome! I'm majoring in Environmental Science and minoring in Biology, so I'll have to take a bunch of biology courses... I'm nervous about them too, but I really like science (especially biology/ecology/zoology), so I think the challenge will be good for me, and I'm sure it will be for you too!

Also there are a ton of people here who love science (there's a whole thread on it), so I'm sure that any of them would be more than willing to help you out if you need it (including me once I get a little more knowledgeable).

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »
@tinyfeather my school is also huge (not student wise but space wise) so I'm also very nervous. I'm fairly certain I'm going to get lost and they have a really strict absent/late policy so tomorrow I'm going to the campus to scout out stuff.
yeah, my school's campus is 434 acres. awesome.

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
Oh wow, do you have a bike or car or anything to help you get around?
My school is 800 acres, but that's only because half of it is also a wildlife preserve... It's very eco-friendly, so there's a few acres dedicated to solar power panels that power the school, and then 400 acres of wildlife preservation area.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 948 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 07:22:37 PM »
i start my senior year of college next week. i'm a math major. the math classes i'm taking are real analysis and topology and that will finish all of the credits for my major o: i'm also taking this class called "literature in performance" that will finish up my general education requirements so i hope i don't die. but i'll still be left with a whole spring semester of electives to get up to 120 credits to graduate though lmao

BEST news is that i am taking a linguistics class about writing systems :D :D i didn't think this would even ever be offered again but yay! also my conlanging buddy i met in my phonology class last semester will be taking it too. it took until the spring semester of my junior year to make a friend from one of my classes............ (other than my roommate i guess)

other people: you meet the best friends of your life in college!
me: that sounds fake...

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 07:26:34 PM »
My school is 800 acres, but that's only because half of it is also a wildlife preserve... It's very eco-friendly, so there's a few acres dedicated to solar power panels that power the school, and then 400 acres of wildlife preservation area.
i actually have a crippling fear of bicycles and car permits are incredibly expensive ($1000) so no lol. but there's a shuttle to help get around.

Offline fireheart

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
Same as Addeh, I start my junior year on the 2nd! I'm moving in on the 29th though.. .aaaa ;; I'm majoring in Computer Science and I've finished a minor in Linguistics!

I go to NYU, which is a huuuuge school, but it's to the point where I'm just another face in the crowd and as long as I can blend in, nobody talks to me and it's actually really nice? Idk, anonymity is really comforting to me, and as long as things aren't too crowded and I'm not expected to socialize, I'm usually alright. (tfw three years in you have literally no friends in your college *thumbs up* rad) ((actually though its really nice))

I'm really nervous about taking Physics and Discrete Mathematics this semester, and my major compsci course is gonna be really difficult but once I'm done with it, I'll be able to start taking the 400-level electives, which I'm really excited about!

(i actually hate college and i really hate nyc but like.. two more years.... all i gotta do is survive two more years of this)

Offline Addeh

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »
i actually have a crippling fear of bicycles and car permits are incredibly expensive ($1000) so no lol. but there's a shuttle to help get around.
holy grapefruit. car permits as in the sticker that allows you to park on campus??? is that for all four years or one?? here the sticker/badge that lets you park on campus is $25 a year

(click to show/hide)
tumblr

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
@moss how do you survive as a math major?! I love math but I get frustrated with it so easily /:
Also congrats on making it to your senior year and getting to take a linguistics class!
I already know a few people going to my college since I live ten minutes away from it, but other than that I feel like I won't make any friends? Not because I'm a bad person or anything, but because I kinda don't want to make friends... lol
Although my mom's friend's son is going to my college (he lived in Massachusetts his whole life and this is his first time in Florida, so he knows absolutely NO ONE), so I promised her I would show him around and be friends with him so that he wouldn't be alone. If he's nice, I wanted me, him, and my boyfriend to rent an apartment next year off-campus.

Also @tinyfeather $1000?! That's ridiculous! There was no charge for a parking permit at my college D:
It's good that there's at least a shuttle... Still, though, it shouldn't be that expensive to get a permit, that's not fair at all /:

@fireheart you can totally survive two more years, I believe in you <3
A computer science major sounds really interesting, good luck on finishing!
Also I like anonymity as well, except for with teachers; I like when teachers know me well, because it tends to benefit me in the long run.