November 23, 2017, 02:28:15 PM

Author Topic: Tribe Customs - Fan-system!  (Read 850 times)

Offline altias

Tribe Customs - Fan-system!
« on: June 26, 2015, 03:01:12 AM »
Heya! Welcome to this topic.

Before we begin, I'll start with a foreward. I've always loved the Tribe as a separate cat culture, and felt it didn't have a lot of expansion beyond 'oh we have a similar culture lmaonade' and everything seemed far too similar for a group that was separated from the Clans for so long. That's why I made this fanmade system for it - not only does it fix what canon started, but it expands into tradition, and how Tribes interact with one another (given the situation that there would be more than one).

That said, let's begin!

Index

i. Religion

ii. Ranking

iii. Names

iv. Traditions

i. Religion

The religious beliefs of the canon Tribe are almost a carbon copy of the Clans'; it's a group of ancestors in the stars. The two societies may have similar introductions, but they shouldn't have their religious mythos be so indifferent!

In my fan system, there are two cats that were said to exist in the beginning. Their names were Moon (Moon That Shines On Lake) and Sun (Sun On The Far Horizon).

Moon was said to have the ability to hide in the deepest shadow, and his skill in tracking allowed him to always find what he was looking for. Sun was said to be fit and strong, as active as sunlight as it spreads across the plains. These two cats are said to be the cat-manifestations of the Sun and Moon themselves, and are said to always have their eyes on their kin - the modern Tribe cats.

There are many Tribe sayings in this fan-system that cats would use that incorporate these cats' names; "for Sun's sake", or "Moon watch over you" (the latter usually meant for cats travelling a far distance). Although the ancestors of the Tribe are emphasized like in canon, these two cats are seen as the active 'gods', so to speak, that keep watch over the Tribes and report back to the ancestors that-still-be.

In the stars, in the Tribe of Endless Hunting, fallen cats and other ancestors whose names are still remembered (even faintly!) listen to Sun and Moon and counsel with each other on how best to communicate their praise or discipline to their living kin.

ii. Ranking

Listed from highest to lowest ranking;

Council - The Council is usually made up of cats that are too old to fight, but there are often exceptions - this may range from a cat who wants to retire early to a cat who has a disability that may somehow prevent them from doing the job they trained - only some disabled cats join the Council, however, and most of them are perfectly capable of doing what they want to do with their life, be it hunting or guarding.

Stoneteller - The title actually differs from Tribe to Tribe. Not all Tribes have stones to tell, after all - for example, there may be a Rootreader (Reader of Gnarled Roots), or Pathtreader (Treader of Faint Paths). The title doesn't have to be any of these three, either - as long as it fits the setting, it works. They're only called their previous name by close family, friends, or mates.

Stoneteller cats are ones who were trained from a young age (as tribunes) to guide the Tribe in spiritual matters, either by the previous Stoneteller or a Councilmember (if the Stoneteller died too early to mentor). The Stoneteller's tribune stays their tribune until they die.

Kit-keepers - these are cats who are nursing or expecting kits. They are to be given respect and care for the time they're caring for their kits.

Prey-Hunters, Ground-Guards - Since not all Tribes are in caves, they're called Ground-Guards instead of Cave-Guards. Tribunes are suggested one of these two positions due to their build at the time of tribute, but can change positions a few times if they have difficulty in the one they choose. It's got a less negative stigma if done during tribunehood.

Tribune - These are cats fresh out of the nursery who are ready for training. They graduate to their chosen position during their Initiation ceremony.

Kit - The weakest members of the Tribe, they must be cared for.

iii. Names

A kit is named at birth according to their pelt color; unlike in canon, they're given a name that fits how they look, like Dove for a light gray cat or Squirrel for a reddish or gray cat (depending on where the Tribe is located).

After becoming a tribune and training for a while, they are given their Initiation. After completing the task given for Initiation, they're named in a way that reflects whatever skill was most prominent in their training. Example: If Dove showed skill in their agility and ability to leap and jump, they may be named Dove That Takes To Flight (still informally going by Dove, of course). Cats can also be named in a way that reflects their personality; example: Squirrel was a very skittish and cautious cat as they trained, so they were named Squirrel In Highest Pine. The cat's name is given by the Council.

Full names are never extremely long or short - these names often range from five to eight syllables, varying very minimally from this.

iv. Traditions

Tribes always hold their Initiation ceremonies during the new moon (or as close as possible to it). There are only a few times this is excused - usually if a cat had to train for longer due to some restriction.

Tribes usually have an specific meeting-place that they gather at during the full moon, akin to the Clans. Here, they usually have a makeshift sleeping-ground for those who need rest or for the situation where cats are staying there for more than just the night.

On the second full moon of summer, the Tribes come together at their temporary shared sleeping-ground to hunt and celebrate together. This is to give thanks to Sun and Moon and those-who-came-before for their efforts and for the plentiful prey, and to emphasize on the harmony the Tribes should keep with each other. This celebration usually lasts for a few days.

Stonetellers (and similar titles), as the spiritual guidance of the Tribe, often go to a place in the territory that has the most natural energy - for example, a wide expanse of grass that overlooks the Tribe's valley, or a thick patch of woodland where one can feel a little isolated. Often, they bring a Ground-guard or two with them so they can be protected - not that they don't know how to fight, but they're the Tribe's most direct route to the Tribe of Endless Hunting.

The Council always discusses decisions with the rest of the Tribe, and listens to each member's viewpoint and opinions before coming to a decision. It sometimes takes days for them to reach a conclusion.

Annnnnd that's all I've got! It's kinda rough 'round the edges, but it's good enough for what it is, haha. Hopefully some of you all like how it's structured O:
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17167 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
Re: Tribe Customs - Fan-system!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:51 AM »
This is an amazing way of looking at Tribe culture! I would love to use this as a base for a roleplay one day, with your permission, of course. The entire thing is phenomenal and I'd really love to hear if you have any more on this, especially the name variations and roles. Would a kit (or to-be, or whatever they're called in your analysis) keep their birth name until their teacher passes on, and then they'd become Stoneteller, Pathtreader, ect? That much is never really explained in canon all that much.

And say if the previous Stoneteller dies before a younger cat can be selected, who picks the next one? I take it Sun and Moon (I love the entire concept of those two and I think it's a lovely idea) council with the other cats and determine it from there? Or is it the living council of cats who chooses?

I can almost promise that I'll be bombarding you with even more questions on this once I've slept a bit- this fascinates me so much and I'm ecstatic to see such a take on the Tribe.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline altias

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:07:08 AM »
This is an amazing way of looking at Tribe culture! I would love to use this as a base for a roleplay one day, with your permission, of course. The entire thing is phenomenal and I'd really love to hear if you have any more on this, especially the name variations and roles. Would a kit (or to-be, or whatever they're called in your analysis) keep their birth name until their teacher passes on, and then they'd become Stoneteller, Pathtreader, ect? That much is never really explained in canon all that much.

And say if the previous Stoneteller dies before a younger cat can be selected, who picks the next one? I take it Sun and Moon (I love the entire concept of those two and I think it's a lovely idea) council with the other cats and determine it from there? Or is it the living council of cats who chooses?

I can almost promise that I'll be bombarding you with even more questions on this once I've slept a bit- this fascinates me so much and I'm ecstatic to see such a take on the Tribe.

I'm really glad you enjoy it! You're definitely free to use it - it's there for that purpose, after all O:

The tribune (that's the apprentice-rank, essentially!) keeps their name until they're ready to take on the title of Stoneteller*. There's a ritual that goes with gaining the title naturally/otherwise, but it's very secretive and all that's known is that they go out wherever they feel their spirit pull them and commune with the Tribe of Endless Hunting through dreams or feelings. (It's very vague, but enough to play with.) They only get to do this after the Council's figured that the Teller-to-be has learned enough about the local herblore and mythos to guide the Tribe in the spiritual fashion.

The Council officially decides - they either chose a cat that's almost of-age or a cat that's already in-training, but they must fit the criteria. There may be rare cases where an older cat is given the position (i.e. a cat that's already gone through training for their rank), but that's only if the previous two groups of cats have no promising candidates. The final step is, of course, having the cat in question commune somehow - communication is supposed to be a very debatable thing, so it could either be an explicit, lucid dream or just feelings.

I'd love to answer any more you might have when you have 'em! I should probably sleep in a bit, though.

(And as an adding on: I kinda made the Council because being an elder would suck if you wouldn't be able to give the Tribe your guidance after you've gotten too old to participate in things. It's a very respected position, and any cats that reach this age are regarded as worthy of the position O: Sometimes the Council runs a bit thin, and sometimes cats volunteer for the position (though they're given a very serious look-over and review before they become part of the Council).)

Offline Jingle

• Long Live the Queen
  • StarClanner
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Jingle
  • Out with the old. In with the new.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:39:03 PM »
So I finally got around to reading this and it's all super interesting!! and I totes agree with @Lightning that it would make a really cool RP :)

Out of curiosity, are the kits always named after animals, or were those just your examples?

(click to show/hide)

Offline altias

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
So I finally got around to reading this and it's all super interesting!! and I totes agree with @Lightning that it would make a really cool RP :)

Out of curiosity, are the kits always named after animals, or were those just your examples?

Thank you very much!! O: I'm glad people like it, haha.

No, not always! The base names are animals, plants, or other things in the environment with a color that could be assumed from the name (i.e. a cat named Borage would be assumed to be blue-gray, as that's the color of borage flowers, and a cat named Fox would be assumed to be ginger).

Offline Jilda

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:02:19 PM »
I would so join a roleplay based on this, just saying.

I loved reading it, the lore and culture you've come up with is so much more interesting and gives the tribe cats so much more character. I've always been indifferent towards them and more caring about the Clans b/c I saw the tribe as basically an undeveloped Clan (idek) but this literally gives them so much more characterization.

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Wryfinch

• Elder
  • 751 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wryfinch
  • I have papaya standards I swear.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: xe/xir/xem/xemself
  • Mood: Chipper
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
Oh the felinity!  :shocked:

Seriously though, this is amazing! You put so much more thought into their culture and beliefs than I've seen in the books, and now my black-pelted kit won't be named Sunrise because he was born at dawn. Great job, alt.

The above CLKs and banners are made by Altias!

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 03:39:26 PM »
This is awesome and super well thought out! I'm going to echo the others saying it would make for good RP or perhaps fanfic material.

I also have a couple questions too if it's no bother?

About the council, do all cats too old to fight qualify for council-ship? What exactly qualifies a cat for this position, or what might be something that could disqualify a cat for this position? Perhaps the council would decide if they would accept a cat into their ranks or not, based on their merits? If so, is there any term for cats who are not qualified for the council but who can't actually do any other tasks?

I really love the Sun and Moon lore, also, it is really quite beautiful.

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline altias

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
Thanks to all of ya! If I ever feel confident enough to make a roleplay off of the system, you're welcome to join it.

This is awesome and super well thought out! I'm going to echo the others saying it would make for good RP or perhaps fanfic material.

I also have a couple questions too if it's no bother?

About the council, do all cats too old to fight qualify for council-ship? What exactly qualifies a cat for this position, or what might be something that could disqualify a cat for this position? Perhaps the council would decide if they would accept a cat into their ranks or not, based on their merits? If so, is there any term for cats who are not qualified for the council but who can't actually do any other tasks?

I really love the Sun and Moon lore, also, it is really quite beautiful.

No bother at all! Glad to help.

All cats who are too old to fight are qualified, excepting cats who don't want to for whatever reason and excepting cats who have something that keeps them from being able to partake (rather vague, but it's meant to cover a bunch of situations). A potential disqualification would be if the cat has had trouble with keeping an impartial ear, or if the cat has shown a wavering towards the Tribe's code of conduct. They may also be disqualified if they don't regard the healer/stoneteller/etc with the respect they deserve. Disqualification is sometimes only temporary, depending on the severity of the disqualification.

Before a cat's inducted into the Council, the existing Council members mull it over amongst themselves, usually bringing to light things that cat has done in the past and whether they would be a good fit for the Council overall (if they can contribute through story, or if they've shown a good sense of judgement in the past). Cats who aren't able to join the Council are generally called elders, though those are pretty few (as most cats tend to pass judgement fairly easily)!