December 17, 2017, 05:15:17 PM

Author Topic: Thoughts on Path of Stars (Unmarked Spoilers)  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Frostclaw

Thoughts on Path of Stars (Unmarked Spoilers)
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:56:54 AM »
Pros:
-Clear Sky finally owning up to how badly he treated Thunder, even if Thunder isn't ready to forgive him yet, and vowing to be better for his new kits.
-Gray Wing reassures Jagged Peak that his sneaking away from the Tribe and forcing Gray Wing to go after him back in The Sun Trail was ultimately good thing.
-Gray Wing gets to show off his strategic nature by coming up with a successful plan to rescue Star Flower.
-For as much as it's built up, the big final battle never actually happens. It was a nice change after most of the other arcs end with a big confrontation; this one is a more subdued- though no less tense- rescue of one of Gray Wing's and Slate's kits. And Slash is still alive at the end, so I expect he'll still be causing trouble in Moth Flight's vision.
-The Clans taking in the former rogues after Slash abandons them, then all of them defending each other when Slash comes back. As Thunder puts it, "We didn't take your weakest cats. We took your strongest."
-A somewhat darkly-humorous example: Thunder repeatedly states that Lightning Tail will be leader after he dies, even though we know Lightning Tail never actually does lead ThunderClan.
-All of Gray Wing's foster kits joining in the rescue for his son, Black Ear.
-Clear Sky pays Gray Wing back for saving Thunder and Star Flower by risking his life to save Black Ear from a monster.
-Gray Wing and his kits naming the Clans.
-Gray Wing's death, surrounded by his family.

Cons:
-Thunder and Violet Dawn's relationship does not develop at all. They're just instantly in love because they find the other attractive.
-Gray Wing's death should have come a bit earlier, and the rest of the book should have been the leaders receiving their nine lives. As it is, the book doesn't quite live up to its name, unless you count the StarClan cats leading Gray Wing away
the end.
-The narrative was a bit too on the nose that Gray Wing would die, even though many people suspected it would happen before this book even came out.
-There are still a lot of details about the early Clans that we don't see (The first nine-lives ceremonies, the formation of the Warrior Code, when the naming system starts, etc) but with the sixth arc going back to the modern Clans, we'll have to wait for a seventh arc or hope to get more Super Editions about these characters.

Ultimately, it was a satisfying end to the arc. It's not perfect, but it gets far more things right than it gets wrong, and if you haven't read this arc yet, let me assure you that it ends on a good note.

What did you think?

Offline Ivypool

Re: Thoughts on Path of Stars (Unmarked Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 07:41:10 PM »
note that moth flight's vision is coming out which will feature the leader ceremonies
i'll post my opinions on it later because i have quite a bit to say
Also known as Bbun, but everyone calls me Beebs o3o

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17173 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 02:39:53 AM »
Everything about Path of Stars was perfect.

Except for Gray Wing's death.... that was not okay.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Frostclaw

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »

I'm kind of glad that we got a definitive end to his story though.

Offline Andydandy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 03:40:24 PM »
I liked Grey Wing's death. It actually made me sad.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17173 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »

I'm kind of glad that we got a definitive end to his story though.
Oh, well, yeah. An end to a story is always a very fitting thing. But it doesn't always need to have pain and suffering.

Offline Ivypool

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:21:12 PM »
okay opinions

-i know ill probs get disliked for this but.... i still despise clear sky. i don't care if he '''changed'' or not, the fact that he still killed cats - and still caused the deaths of many for his own selfish desires - is unexusable.  unlike other cats who have killed, his were for petty reasons, barring one eye [who well.. is the antagonist, duh]. i mean, killed a cat over a bush??? really?? and it's brushed off because 'he's GOOD now, he's CHANGED, see!!! what a nice father!!!' i hope the kits have good parenting, altho i want one of them to be a rebel, just saying

-jagged peak has barely improved this arc. he's still a watermelon which is unfortunate because otherwise he's been catered to the entire arc and he's such a watermelon for no grapefruiting reason!!!!!

-violet/thunder sucks, i mean it was so grapefruiting rushed i legit FORGET violet dawn sometimes. that shows how forgettable she is to me, which is unfortunate. speaking of, the minor chars were pretty okay. i didnt care too much for them but perhaps, like Mintfur of skyclan, i'll get more of a liking to them after some article writing.

-FERN!!!! the poor gal, everything's under the cut here;
(click to show/hide)

-will slash be back. his story ended with ZERO conclusion and that's so unsatisfying tbqh

-bee. my god. what a mandarin. and her description more so. seriously. what is going on.... she reminds me of someone's old rp char bc HE LOOKED EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEE

this is all i have in mind atm so feel free to anger at me away~
Also known as Bbun, but everyone calls me Beebs o3o

Offline Bramblemask

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
I want to start off by saying that Gray Wing's death made me straight up BAWL. It was just so sad and so well-written I just I couldn't. ;;

Pros

- As I said, Gray Wing's death was well-written and emotional, as it should have been.
- The rogues being taken in was great. I especially love Fern.
- I like Violet/Thunder if only because Thunder deserved a happy ending and a mate who actually loved him and wouldn't choose his father after breaking up with him.
- Gray Wing not feeling any different when his kits were born than when Turtle Tail's kits were born. He loved his foster kits so much that he loves them as his own. Seriously, that was just so sweet. ;w;
- Gray Wing and his kits naming the Clans. That was a great way to end his life.
- Slash and his buddies surviving, leaving room for conflict in Moth Flight's Vision without it being a total ass pull.
- Gray Wing's family rallying around him before his death.
- Bright Stream's kits. </3
- Star Flower isn't in the book all that much after her rescue

Cons

- I wish the two traitor rogues hadn't been so glaringly obvious. We knew they'd turn based on their actions, so when they actually did turn and cats got hurt in the process, it wasn't surprising or even particularly interesting.
- Leaf/Milkweed never got confirmed in-story and we barely see anything regarding the ship in this book.
- Clear Sky. Idek where to start with that one.
- The lack of emotion from Jagged Peak and Thunder over Gray Wing's death. They were sad, of course, but they didn't seem too horribly grief-stricken like they should have.

-i know ill probs get disliked for this but.... i still despise clear sky. i don't care if he '''changed'' or not, the fact that he still killed cats - and still caused the deaths of many for his own selfish desires - is unexusable.  unlike other cats who have killed, his were for petty reasons, barring one eye [who well.. is the antagonist, duh]. i mean, killed a cat over a bush??? really?? and it's brushed off because 'he's GOOD now, he's CHANGED, see!!! what a nice father!!!' i hope the kits have good parenting, altho i want one of them to be a rebel, just saying

THIS SO MUCH. I cannot stand this cat and his "redemption" did nothing to make him more likable. I mean, in Blazing Star, I did start to like him. It was when he chose Star Flower as his mate in A Forest Divided (with the narrative eventually treating this as an ultimately good thing rather than a creepy and selfish thing like it actually was) is what ruined it and Path of Stars did not earn him any brownie points. Oh, he feels bad about what he did to Thunder? GOOD! He's supposed to! It's called guilt and I hope he feels it for the rest of his life! He screwed up BIIIIIIIIIIG TIME and took forever to see all of the mistakes he made. Hell, in PoS, he even seems to be brushing his mistakes off after reflecting on them. He doesn't even try to salvage his relationship with Thunder. He says like one thing, sees Thunder doesn't trust him yet, then decides, "Oh well, I have new kits now, I'll do better this time." He's just... UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Offline glimmer

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »
god i teared up at Gray Wing's death. and with the naming of the clans just before he died as well... save my weak heart these cat books are too much for me

i actually like Violet Dawn and i'm not opposed to her relationship with Thunder either, i just wish it hadn't happened so FAST. Violet Dawn is cool but given how fast she got together with Thunder there's still the element of male-character-needed-a-love-interest-so-here-i-am in there which i'm not so happy about :// my favourite thing about the ship is how Lightning Tail reacts to it tbh, just approving and kinda teasing. he's one of my favourite characters, actually... speaking of which if the reason he doesn't get to lead ThunderClan is because he dies (which is pretty likely) i'll be so upset. 

Clear Sky, uh. i know he's "become good" or whatever but i can't help but narrow my eyes disapprovingly most of the time he's there lol. i don't hate him, but i think it'll take a lot for me to like him.

i actually liked the fact that Slash & co survived and that we didn't see all the formation of the clans in this series - it makes me more excited for Moth Flight's vision. whenever a thing happens which will grow into one of the defining traits of the clans (like the whole mentor-apprentice thing that started in POT) i'm like !!!!! so i'm happy there's gonna be more of that. a lot more. one of the things i'm most excited for is when they finally discover the Moonstone, which has been hinted at since like... Thunder Rising if i remember correctly? waiting in anticipation for that. i quite like how they're doing it slower though; it's more realistic apart from Thunder and Violet Dawn's development, jesus

i grew to like Star Flower more in this book. i'm curious as to what her and Clear Sky's kits will turn out to be like.

overall, i loved this book as i did the others before it and hope Moth Flight's vision will continue this trend.

still an avid supporter of Thunder/Lightning Tail

blinkie by moss | pixel & clks by altias
(click to show/hide)

Offline Frostclaw

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »
One thing that I had really expected to happen was that Slash would kill Gray Wing and that would serve as a catalyst to unite all the groups together against the rogues.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17173 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »

THIS SO MUCH. I cannot stand this cat and his "redemption" did nothing to make him more likable. I mean, in Blazing Star, I did start to like him. It was when he chose Star Flower as his mate in A Forest Divided (with the narrative eventually treating this as an ultimately good thing rather than a creepy and selfish thing like it actually was) is what ruined it and Path of Stars did not earn him any brownie points. Oh, he feels bad about what he did to Thunder? GOOD! He's supposed to! It's called guilt and I hope he feels it for the rest of his life! He screwed up BIIIIIIIIIIG TIME and took forever to see all of the mistakes he made. Hell, in PoS, he even seems to be brushing his mistakes off after reflecting on them. He doesn't even try to salvage his relationship with Thunder. He says like one thing, sees Thunder doesn't trust him yet, then decides, "Oh well, I have new kits now, I'll do better this time." He's just... UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH.
I question which books you're referring to, because he tried to salvage his relationship with Thunder, and Thunder was the cat who rejected him and wasn't having any of it, not Clear Sky. ANd of course he's going to think that- he doesn't want to give his new kits the same experiences that Thunder had, because it's a relationship that's beyond repair...unless Thunder wants to talk to Clear Sky in the future, there's no hope for it.

Honestly, he's at least trying to make things better. To turn him into this demonized cat who isn't even trying to better himself makes me dislike the vast majority of the fandom more and more. It's like you can't have done some bad mistakes in your life and try and make up for them. Oh, wait, he tries to make up for them, but no one else will hear him out. How exactly is he supposed to redeem himself if only of the only cats who will give him more than the time of day is Star Flower?

It's very obvious that most of his Clanmates have at least attempted to forgive him. They stay with him, and even Sparrow Fur (who knows what Clear Sky had done) stays with him in camp. Hell, even many of the other cats had come to respect him, because if they hadn't, they would have left, just as Thunder did in A Forest Divided. Forgiveness is a two-way street. Clear Sky is trying.

Don't blame him for the other cats not even wanting to deal with him. Hell, they would have let a pregnant she-cat die all because of who she was, instead of thinking about the unborn kits, who literally did not do a thing wrong. I wouldn't be shocked if Dew Petal, Tiny Branch, and Flower Foot are judged because of who their parents are- and if it's one thing Warriors has taught people, it's not to judge a kit by their parents.

I get very annoyed with this topic, I'm sorry. Friendly reminder that Clear Sky's Clanmates, and the other four Clans (groups at the time), would have rather let a pregnant she-cat die instead of help her.

And that is shallow and quite disgusting.

Offline Frostclaw

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 09:01:27 PM »
Basically just keep this mind.

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17173 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 09:10:59 PM »
Basically just keep this mind.
Too bad not everyone seems to understand that attachment. =/ Just because characters aren't Lawful Good or something like that doesn't make them bad characters worthy of being demonized. Especially Clear Sky- he at least tried to redeem himself; it was the other characters that basically didn't even want to try. Except for maybe, what, Gray Wing????

Offline PinkheartII

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 10:43:47 PM »
I don't quake in anger when Clear Sky shows up anymore, but I still don't care for him that much. Much like Thunder, it's hard for me to repair a bad first impression. It was still really awesome the way he saved Black Ear though. And the way Thunder finally finds it in himself to forgive him after he risks his life... I almost teared up.
And I have to agree with Lightning, Graywing's death was beautiful and tragic, but was it really necessary? What point does it serve other than to give the story a bittersweet ending? I would be really angry at making Gray Wing, Slate, and the kits suffer just to cement that scar in the readers for a good rating if it wasn't so poetic. Why didn't they put that effort and energy into developing Thunder and Violet's relationship? This is clearly the most rushed warriors shipping of all time. They just decide to be together because they're both good looking and honorable? And they decide to have kits someday right off the bat too? Man, and I thought LionxCinder was quick! At least they had a few days before fantasizing about having eachothers kits, but here, it happens immediately! It's really kind of sick! Not to mention that Violet has about as much personality as a piece of wood. Nothing stands out about her other than her looks and her cool "tribe name", Violet Dawn. It's really too bad, because with some more time, proper development and character building for Violet Dawn, this could have been a really interesting couple. Well, at least this wasn't the first rushed DOTC shipping. Jagged Peak and Holly, anyone? Even Clear Sky and Star Flower progressed pretty quickly when it became official. The same goes for Gray Wing and Turtle Tail, in my opinion. They have the excuse of being childhood best friends, but still, their progression as a couple was too quick for my comfort. Come to think of it, is there a single well paced shipping in DOTC, or for that matter, any recent Warriors book? Anyone?

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17173 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »
The same goes for Gray Wing and Turtle Tail, in my opinion. They have the excuse of being childhood best friends, but still, their progression as a couple was too quick for my comfort. Come to think of it, is there a single well paced shipping in DOTC, or for that matter, any recent Warriors book? Anyone?
And this is what I disagree with. Very strongly, tbh. Gray Wing and Turtle Tail wasn't rushed in the least. Knowing each other since they were young isn't "too quick", and it's heavily implied that Turtle Tail had a crush on him long before The Sun Trail even started. Considering they weren't mates right off the bat, it's not like they met in one chapter and became mates in another; this isn't like Clear Sky and Star Flower, Gray Wing and Slate, or Thunder and Violet Dawn. They had the books themselves, and before the books to establish their relationship. (I mean friendship relationship, not romantic)

There are a few well-paced pairings in Warriors. Tawnypet and Rowanstar, Bramblestar and Squirrelflight, Brackenfur and Sorreltail, Firestar and Sandstorm, Cloudtail and Brightheart, Whitewing and Birchfall, ect. Hell, even if I dislike Bumblestripe and Dovewing, it wasn't just pulled out of a hat- Dovewing and Bumblestripe's relationship was already partially established. It might not go how you want it, but it doesn't make them any less established and paced.