June 29, 2017, 05:37:35 AM

Author Topic: apprentice's quest discussion [SPOILERS]  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Ivypool

• Warrior
  • 213 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ivypool
  • The Meme Queen
    • 🍬 I'm just in it for the candy!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/hers
  • Mood: Tired
apprentice's quest discussion [SPOILERS]
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »
just making the thread bc i know people have the book already.

cant say much toehr than im thankful pasha isn't the antag, and bye-bye sandstorm
Also known as Bbun, but everyone calls me Beebs o3o

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17149 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
Re: apprentice's quest discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:05:54 AM »
Beebs, get the book. It's actually really good, and I think you could relate to Alderpaw. He's such a likable character and Cherith did a good job with him and Sparkpaw.

(click to show/hide)

Also the B&N bonus scene:
(click to show/hide)

The bonus scene in the B&N exclusive edition takes the place of the Thunder and Shadow preview.
(click to show/hide)

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline amberstripe

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
Just finished reading the book and aaaaaaaaa!!! i'm really excited!!! I'd purposefully avoided any info about what might happen other than one vague rumor that skyclan would be relevant, and i'm really happy that came true!!

Some part of me really likes journey books, the travelling and new places stuff is always fun to me... though with the way the cats had to head I was really hoping they'd come into view of highstones and Sandstorm would have a nostalgia moment or something... the clans having to move really rocked my world as a kid and I always love any acknowledgement of how much the clans left behind.

But yes! I'm really scatterbrained right now, I'll probably write more about what I think here later.. I do really like Alderpaw and Sparkpaw both, it was fun to see a bit of character in Cherryfall and Molewhisker, but I definitely wanted more cats to have some role, probably will happen more when we spend more time in the clans. I'm realllyyy curious what'll happen in the next books

Also, I got the B&N version, anywhere I can find the preview for Thunder and Shadow online?
#Save lightFlight 2k15

Offline Dawnwing

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »
I got the book earlier this week and read it in one evening.  I really enjoyed it - best Warriors book in a while!

- Characterization was really good in this. That's something that the main series was lacking.  Dawn of the Clans did a bit better, but with the spotlight on so few characters in this book, their personalities really got to shine through.  Cherryfall and Molewhisker for instance were just generic cheerful apprentices before and I really don't remember them at all in Bramblestar's Storm, but they got distinct personalities here.  I liked the focus on Sandstorm, and Needlepaw's a really interesting character.  I hope this continues and that it's not just because the focus was on so few characters.

- I think they learned a bit with the whole "journey" thing, which had been getting repetitive: you don't need to spend an entire book talking about them traveling, just show the interesting scenes.

- Really interested in how the whole SkyClan thing plays out.  Depending on how they do it, I have a feeling that this series is either going to be really epic, or a disappointment that fans pretend isn't canon.  I'm optimistic after this first book.

- Sandstorm.  :'(   It was a fitting end for her, though: it definitely is how she'd want to go, instead of gradually growing old and weak in the elders' den.

- Bonus scene was a bit pointless. And if it had to be included, should've been in all editions, not a B&N exclusive. :/

Offline PinkheartII

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:36:53 PM »
HOLY STARCLAN
(click to show/hide)
I am not mad, as I don't have any plans on reading it, but still guys, spoilers marks, that's what they're for.
But my curiousity is killing me! Is this book actually worth checking out? Is Warriors not dead yet? Details!

Offline amberstripe

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
I figure since this board is for discussing the content of the newest book, and warriors books are something one can most likely read in one or two sittings, spoiler tags aren't necessarily... necessary. The title itself says spoilers

Personally, I really enjoyed the book! But I also enjoyed all of the fifth series, which I know some people disliked. I'm not that picky.
#Save lightFlight 2k15

Offline Ariel

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 02:35:38 AM »
Stayed up to finish reading this.

And I guess I'm going against the grain here and say I wasn't really overall impressed with this one. I mean, it's fine, but just... eh. Maybe I've just outgrown the series? I'll still finish this set though.

However, I do have to agree that the characterization is much better here than it was in previous books. Alderpaw really stands out. He's an interesting character, and I can see him growing on me. It was nice seeing some background characters, Cherryfall and Molewhisker, get a chance to shine and to see them with their own personalities as well.

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with Needlepaw. Why was she all the way in WindClan territory? Was she really just exploring? What's up with her and Rain? Why does Alderpaw constantly sense that she's lonely - it seemed like she was friends with the other shadowclan apprentices?

Sandstorm... oh, Sandstorm. I loved her interactions with Alderpaw; they were so cute! I'm a little sad that she died, but in a way I'm happy about it. She dies doing what she wanted.

Some confusion: doesn't Jayfeather know, or kinda sorta know, about SkyClan? why is it such a bad idea to not tell the clans about skyclan? what the heck type of stupid reasoning is 'hey, you had this vision and we're going to discuss without you - you can't sit with us'?

Offline thunderpetal

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 02:01:33 AM »
Yeah... The book wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I'm more amazed by how Littlecloud is still alive..
Didn't really care about (ahem spoiler) Sandstorm dying. Yeah it was a little sudden and unfortunate but at least she's with Firestar.
hi, im thunderpetal
infp | on vainglory NA server @thunderpetal

Offline equus

• yung photog
  • Warrior
  • 34 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To equus
  • official vegetables fangirl
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Mood: Chill
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:05 PM »
i thought it was okay... some of the characterization seemed a little forced. still stayed up to read it though. and i still really wanna read the next one lol. im so whipped
life gets in the way of living

Offline Wavestripe

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:42:32 PM »
I have to say I loved a LOT of this book, like a good majority of it. My only con was how often it seemed like they were trying to force hints or point to needle x alder being a thing eventually. Because I kinda like it but it just seemed like it was shoved down your throat instead of being more subtle.

Offline MarcoPolo

• walk on the wild side
  • Warrior
  • 256 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To MarcoPolo
  • fire alone can save our clan
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: Blorpself
  • Mood: Devious