October 17, 2017, 12:52:30 AM

Author Topic: Am I the only one who likes Dovewing?  (Read 1070 times)

Offline PinkheartII

Am I the only one who likes Dovewing?
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:31:18 PM »
Everywhere I go, I see people bashing on Dovewing, calling her a whiny mary sue. But I absolutely adore her. She makes a lot of mistakes, she struggles between Tigerheart and Bumblestripe, even if it's obvious who the better choice is, yet people are constantly complaining that the other main characters are too perfect? Make up you're mind!
She's so cute, how innocent she was when she was an apprentice, she thought everyone in the clans could be friends and nice all the time, and she thought everyone else could hear really far away and she wonders why Lionblaze couldn't tell there was a sick cat in RiverCla-aaaaawwww, so cuuuuuttteeeee!!!!!!!!!!!  :kiss: :kiss:
She still remained optimistic and friendly as she grew into a warrior, even if she did complain a lot. Am I the only one who appreciates her?!

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17163 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
Re: Am I the only one who likes Dovewing?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:20:01 PM »
The ones who criticize her character don't necessarily hate her, persay. I know in my case, I hate how her character was handled- it made half of her characterization about who she wanted as a mate, not her as a ThunderClan warrior and the third cat of the prophecy. I know I personally don't want to see a struggle between her, Tigerheart, and Dovewing... because I don't care. The half-Clan mate/kits thing annoys the hell out of me, and the constant "I love Tigerheart but Bumblestripe is so nice" thing is just something that could have been written a lot better.

Plus, Bumblestripe deserves a she-cat who actually loves him... not someone who still has feelings for someone else. =/

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:11:06 AM »
I agree with Lightning, I think the way she was written could have been much better. Thinking back, it's actually hard for me to remember a lot about her that wasn't related to which cats she was interested in and that is sad to me because I thought she was really cute too. No hate here for sure though :P

Also not a fan of the term Mary-sue because people use it for bashing on any character they just don't like. But that's just random opinion lol

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline PinkheartII

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
Okay, I see your points, but, and I don't mean to be offensive here, but maybe you put too much emphasis on Dovewing's love life? I didn't like that part of the plot either, but so many more things come to mind when I think of Dovewing: her quest to break the dam and battle the beavers, her sneaking out of camp to see Whitetail,  warning ThunderClan about the falling tree, arguing with Ivypool when they were apprentices, her journey to the mountains with Jayfeather and her powers forcing her to listen to Swoop dying, saving Sorreltail when she started giving birth outside of camp, fighting with Dustpelt in the tunnels and supporting Hollyleaf, fighting with Cloudtail in the Dark Forest battle, defending her family after they were found to be training in the Dark Forest, helping the kittypets in the flood, struggling with the loss of her powers....
I agree that Dovewing still could have been written better and the whole fling with Tigerheart was unnecessary, but I think there's still so much more to her than that. And if that wasn't enough for everyone, then I am going to fix it.

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:16:19 AM »
I haven't read that series in a loooong time and none of the events ever felt cohesive as a single story arc, so I hardly remember anything that happened in it. Which is probably why I remember the whole love story arc and not some of the other things because it lasted multiple books while the other things lasted one book at most.

The beavers thing is the biggest thing that stands out as cool things Dovewing did. I liked that. I also remember that she could tell Leopardstar was very sick before anyone else. Those kinds of moments felt too few but again this could be because the storyline didn't make enough sense for me to remember a lot of stuff.

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17163 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
Okay, I see your points, but, and I don't mean to be offensive here, but maybe you put too much emphasis on Dovewing's love life? I didn't like that part of the plot either, but so many more things come to mind when I think of Dovewing: her quest to break the dam and battle the beavers, her sneaking out of camp to see Whitetail,  warning ThunderClan about the falling tree, arguing with Ivypool when they were apprentices, her journey to the mountains with Jayfeather and her powers forcing her to listen to Swoop dying, saving Sorreltail when she started giving birth outside of camp, fighting with Dustpelt in the tunnels and supporting Hollyleaf, fighting with Cloudtail in the Dark Forest battle, defending her family after they were found to be training in the Dark Forest, helping the kittypets in the flood, struggling with the loss of her powers....
I agree that Dovewing still could have been written better and the whole fling with Tigerheart was unnecessary, but I think there's still so much more to her than that. And if that wasn't enough for everyone, then I am going to fix it.
Nah, I'm not putting too much emphasis on it, considering it's a major part of the arc. I've read the books way too many times due to my work on the wiki, and that is something I'm not exaggerating... it also kinda seems like people are taking that as Not A Good Enough Reason to dislike her. =/ No one's going to change my opinion, so I wouldn't waste your time trying to chalk up reason after reason why I should like her. It makes me feel like my opinion isn't valid.

Honestly, some of those things are what I'd expect any character to do; save their family, fight with their Clanmates when in danger, defending their home, helping others in need, ect. They're hardly special, imo. They're overplayed because of her powers, which she was wrong to basically tell Ivypaw that she was better than she was. Her character is overhyped, and she's no better than a typical apprentice, new warrior, whatever have you.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »
yes

wait who is dovewing
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline PinkheartII

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »
Nah, I'm not putting too much emphasis on it, considering it's a major part of the arc. I've read the books way too many times due to my work on the wiki, and that is something I'm not exaggerating... it also kinda seems like people are taking that as Not A Good Enough Reason to dislike her. =/ No one's going to change my opinion, so I wouldn't waste your time trying to chalk up reason after reason why I should like her. It makes me feel like my opinion isn't valid.

Honestly, some of those things are what I'd expect any character to do; save their family, fight with their Clanmates when in danger, defending their home, helping others in need, ect. They're hardly special, imo. They're overplayed because of her powers, which she was wrong to basically tell Ivypaw that she was better than she was. Her character is overhyped, and she's no better than a typical apprentice, new warrior, whatever have you.

Ok, I certainly didn't mean to insult you. If that's how you feel.

Offline gbtdontaskwhatitstandsfor

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
Wait a minute.
Dovewing?
Dove's Wing?
When do we theorize about Jayfeather and Dovewing being siblings?