Favorite arc?
August 18, 2018, 03:49:02 PM

Author Topic: Favorite arc?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline broadwaystar

Favorite arc?
« on: July 05, 2015, 12:24:20 AM »
Each Warriors arc has a distinct story with its own strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of characters and plots to like and dislike within each one. All things considered, which arc do you like the best?

For my answer, I'll preface that the original series is the only one I've read recently, so I'm biased. The original series was always my favorite when I was a younger fan, and I think it still holds up reading it years down the line. It introduced the world of warriors and told a complete story within it. I really appreciate the way the first arc tied up its loose ends and didn't let any of the big questions go unanswered. I also really love the characters in the first arc. Cinderpelt, Whitestorm, Firestar, Yellowfang, Graystripe, Sandstorm, Brackenfur... They're all great characters. I guess I also have a soft spot for this arc because the world it introduced was so fresh and interesting, and reading about it for the first time was really cool.

I suppose that could be subject to change if/when I get around to rereading the rest of the series, but that's where I'm at now. What about you?

Offline Heron

Re: Favorite arc?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 02:22:13 AM »
It might just be nostalgia talking, but the original series was my favorite. I feel like it had a good amount of fantasy without being "magical cats", and stuff like forbidden romances hadn't been done to death yet.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:19:14 AM »
I'm joinin the original series nostalgia train.... I tend to be that kind of person anyway that picks favorites just based on how i Feel, but also i haven't read the new prophecy is sooooo long anyway and although there was a lot i liked about power of three, i agree about the less magic cats of the first series and it's more memorable for me. Perhaps because i really only read power of three like a year and half ago on my ipod during classes and when i was eating so it's possible it wasn't given as much of a chance for me to absorb it. and the original series is what sparked the love <3

this post had no substance.... oops....

Offline Splashy

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
Joining the first arc nostalgia train. 

Personally once it got to Power of Three and the magic cats thing becoming more and more common I started to lose interest. Something I always liked about warriors- well, saying it's realistic isn't quite the right word, but it wasn't superpowered cats running around saving the world but focusing on the relationships and life of the clans more? I don't know- the conflicts in the first arc were what struck me as being more character-focused than powers! and epic! and celestial battle! focused that the series started to focus on later on. New Prophecy was alright- I just, like moss, haven't read it in a while and the original series has that nostalgic lens. Plotlines that would become tropes (i.e. forbidden romance, what do we do with evil!guy's kits, etc.) hadn't been done to death yet, as people have pointed out. It's the same issue I had with Guardians of Ga'Hoole eventually- once the magic owls started cropping up I lost interest. 

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »
I'm also going to hop on the original series arc, mainly because of reasons already said. I really like how it was a complete series, how it didn't rely on the following series, and it wasn't overly extraordinary. The cats were all very relatable without having the whole "magic powers forbidden romance" stuff going on.
I also think that a lot of the character development was really well done, especially with cats like bramblepaw and sandstorm; I really liked reading about how they matured, and how they sort of grew into their positions in the clans. It also had my favourite character aka whitestorm
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline fireheart

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:03:52 PM »
I'm caught between the first and third arcs, but I think I'm going to have to go for the first arc as well. I adored the third arc and I still do, but I feel like most of my feelings about it are due to the fact that the peak of my warriors obsession was when that arc was just starting (also because Hollyleaf was there). But I also lent all my friends at least a couple books from the first arc, it's all we would talk about, we'd write about it and draw art for it and so there's a lot of nostalgia for me there as well?

I definitely would say that the first arc is the best in terms of quality, for reasons everyone else has already touched on; everything was newer, the characters were more fleshed out, and it was a lot more down-to-earth than the later series. Also cause Starclan is more of a mystical might-exist entity and not like. Undeniable, physical, really-does-exist cat heaven to provide every Deus Ex Machina the Erins could ever need. But that's more of a personal thing so *shrug* w/e

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50780 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »
I remember liking The New Prophecy the best... I need to reread just to check though

Offline Hawk

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 06:46:05 PM »
i also have to say my favorite is the original. my friends and i read it together, and we used to discuss/debate the characters and plots. it's the only arc that i've actually took my time reading and analyzing. though i also really love the new prophecy because i got into warriors after dawn came out and i remember waiting for the next book and being really excited about going to the bookstore really early to get starlight. 

Offline Lightning

• Nothing's fair in Love and War.
  • StarClanner
  • 17203 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Alone
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »
My favorite arc always has been and always will be Power of Three. It was the current arc when I started reading- Outcast had just been released in hardcover, I believe- and the characters introduced there have always been some of my very favorites (Hollyleaf, Sol, and Jayfeather). The darker tone of the arc itself is what really grabbed my attention and got me to continue reading Warriors; Omen of the Stars only continued on that path, and also introduced the concept that sometimes, StarClan can't do squat. That's just how it is.

I also really like Dawn of the Clans. The Ancient cats are some of my favorites in the entire series (and by extension, the Tribe), so getting more on their stories and how they formed the Clans was a twist that I was not expecting when I first picked up Long Shadows. Dawn of the Clans also introduced another favorite of mine: Turtle Tail! It also gave life to Lightning Tail, and I've wanted to know about him since probably... 2008? So, me getting information and a real feel for him just made me so excited.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Dawnwing

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:10:18 PM »
I'm jumping on the first series train as well.

• The same plots hadn't been re-used a million times; that's a big part of it - forbidden romance and natural disasters and so forth were more shocking and dramatic.
  •  Fantasy was minimal and StarClan was mysterious (compare that scene where Fireheart goes to get his nine lives and first sees them - speaking all in one voice, glittery, strange scent and strange to the touch - to how they're basically like normal cats in later series, squabbling with each other all the time.  That nine-lives scene is one of my favorite scenes in the entire series just because of what it was like for him to meet StarClan; it was so beautifully done.)  
  • Deaths were more common and reflected the harsh life of living in the forest: nowadays you hardly see a kit or apprentice die, and the authors' favorite characters are living for a lot longer than cats in the earlier series did (we've had cats become apprentices, then warriors, retire, and die over the course of the series, whereas Sandstorm and Graystripe are just starting to slow down now.  And don't get me started on Mistyfoot). 
  • They behaved more like cats, not humans (particularly relationship-wise: in book 2 or 3 it said that warrior fathers aren't close to their kits and that Crookedstar and Silverstream were a rare exception; in series 3 Spiderleg is criticized  for not playing with his kits.)  
  • I liked when the Clans spoke more formally instead of using slang like "cool".
  • To me, a lot of the characters just stood out more.  When trying to describe a cat's personality, I couldn't tell you the difference between a lot of the cats nowadays.  This is one thing that Dawn of the Clans, at least, has improved on compared to, like, OOTS.
Those are some of the things that jump out to me the most, but I'm sure there's more.

Offline Ivypool

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »
Dawn of the Clans might be my favorite Arc if only because Vicky's not involved at all, so the quality is above average. Then comes the first arc for the many reasons people have said, even if I've only read half of the books in that Arc.
Also known as Bbun, but everyone calls me Beebs o3o

Offline Lightning

• StarClanner
  • 17203 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
Dawn of the Clans might be my favorite Arc if only because Vicky's not involved at all, so the quality is above average. Then comes the first arc for the many reasons people have said, even if I've only read half of the books in that Arc.
Vicky isn't the reason the arc quality is bad;;;;; Why does everyone have that mentality? Honestly, the novellas are really good and she's the one who wrote them. The Ultimate Guide was pretty good too, and I think she wrote that as well? Vicky also writes the graphic novel plots, and those are phenomenal. I wish people would stop mandarining on this women because the plot doesn't go how someone wants it to.

Offline rowan

• Oel-cir'va of the Folk
  • ThunderClan
  • 6304 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To rowan
  • eater of leafs
  • awards This mini-feather is presented to those who have or have had a character with a high rank! This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ThunderClan!
  • Referrals: 61
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart!
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »
Vicky isn't the reason the arc quality is bad;;;;; Why does everyone have that mentality? Honestly, the novellas are really good and she's the one who wrote them. The Ultimate Guide was pretty good too, and I think she wrote that as well? Vicky also writes the graphic novel plots, and those are phenomenal. I wish people would stop mandarining on this women because the plot doesn't go how someone wants it to.

P sure Tui also worked on the Guides? But not 100% certain.

Aside from a few things, I think Vicky is okay, tbh. (tui is golden tho 10/10 fav)
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Jilda

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
gotta say for all the reasons already listed, the original arc (:

but... really? vicky had nothing to do with DotC?? qwhat??

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Lightning

• StarClanner
  • 17203 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 10:17:25 PM »

P sure Tui also worked on the Guides? But not 100% certain.

Aside from a few things, I think Vicky is okay, tbh. (tui is golden tho 10/10 fav)
Tui only worked on Secrets of the Clans! Everything else is written by Kate, Vicky, or Cherith!