April 19, 2018, 06:10:26 PM

Author Topic: Video Games?  (Read 25233 times)

Offline Holly

Re: Video Games?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »
AYE VIDEO GAMES

okay so my favorite favorite has to be the last of us. i like stealth and the story is so powerful. also the ezio trilogy. i don't have a ps4 so i haven't gotten to play unity yet, and i really can't be bothered to finish black flag because sailing is boring.

bethesda games are awesome. i'm currently playing fallout 3 and new vegas and trying to finish those. skyrim's really great, i think i have over 300 hours logged on it

i also play and enjoy sims, civ, and i bought 14 games during the steam summer sale so ... there's that lmao
tumblr / twitter / goodreads
who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Offline Heron

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
I finally started Tales of Symphonia recently after planning to do so for something like seven years. I'm also working on playthroughs of Final Fantasy 13 and NieR. I also just recently finished getting all the PSN trophies for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle, so I'm pretty happy about that. Can't wait for Eyes of Heaven to come out, especially if they announce Trish and Hot Pants as playable characters.

And on the subject of JoJo games, there's a really, really awesome fan game called 7th Stand User that I absolutely love. The amount of content the creator put in that game is absolutely incredible, even if it wasn't a fan game. I'm on my sixth playthough and nowhere close to seeing everything there is in that game.

As for Fire Emblem... I was an absolutely MASSIVE fan of the games from about ages 10-14. Like, honestly, it was probably a bit embarrassing how much I loved that series. I actually finished a playthrough of Awakening last week, and while I do think it's a good game and great for newbies to the series, I thought the plot was kind of lacking, especially when you compare it to Radiant Dawn. It felt like a lot of the plot elements were reused from Genealogy of the Holy War (the whole marriage/children mechanic, Grima being very similar to Loptyr, etc.), and I felt like a lot of plot points could have been expanded on more. I was excited at first when the developers said they were working on improving the storyline for Fates, but honestly, I'm not sure if I'll even get it. Even without the whole deal with needing to get different versions to experience the whole plot, a lot of the criticisms mentioned earlier kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I'll see how the reviews from Japan come out.

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
For Fates, I'm really excited for the Nohr route, mainly because I was disappointed with the map objectives with awakening. Only so many rout and kill boss maps are allowed, in my books. I would have enjoyed a bit more challenge, like 3-13 in RD
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Dawnwing

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »
I have become a major Elder Scrolls fan.  I started with Skyrim in 2012 - shortly after you guys had been posting about it here.  Now, if any of you know the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP) wiki - the oldest (and best) wiki for the series - I'm a major contributor on the wiki itself, I admin its forum, write occasionally for the blog, and I co-run its FB page.

Here's my ES collection (picture taken yesterday).

Offline Jingle

• Long Live the Queen
  • StarClanner
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Jingle
  • Out with the old. In with the new.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 08:26:02 PM »
Videooo gammeessss... Right now I'm super into Fallout and Mass Effect (needless to say E3 has me crazy hyped). I spent the majority of my day today playing FO3 (the riverboat dlc is super cool even if all the enemies have crazy high damage resistance?? I'm level 21 and they're still driving me crazy). Also one of my friends is currently running a Mass Effect rpg since we're all home for the summer lol. Doesn't get much nerdier than that, huh?

I'm also playing FF13 but Final Fantasy is a little harder for me to get into? Like you have to get further into the game before it gets really compelling, I think? Idk maybe it's just me...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »
I'm also playing FF13 but Final Fantasy is a little harder for me to get into? Like you have to get further into the game before it gets really compelling, I think? Idk maybe it's just me...
FFXIII takes a bit more time to get into it, but the story really picks up around chapter...7, I believe

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4987 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 08:46:46 PM »
I cannot recommend the Tales series enough, they're cheesy and serious and depressing and lighthearted and they just have so much going for them all the time always, even though the voice directing can be a little awkward sometimes (graces...)
Graces is probably my fav, with Abyss and the Xillias close behind (Abyss has the best story, then Xillias, and Graces ranks way below them, but I love the graces cast so much, weeps), then Vesperia, then Symphonia. I'm playing through the english patch of Innocence too, and I'm only about 25% through the game, but I'm really liking it too. It's a pretty typical tales game so the whole Luca/Illia thing seems a little silly and forced, but eh. I like Ange (she's like... a leia-natalia hybrid. with estelle's booky knowledge) and Spada (but I'm biased because he's in Milla's chapter in Asteria and I have a level 70 spud in my water team). (i don't really get to talk about innocence with anyone, i'm lonely)

When I'm asked about video games, the first things I mention (other than tales) are Zero Escape, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, and stuff like that. I also like Pokemon a little too casually (as in, rarely do I ever actually finish the storylines on new games).
I really want to replay all the Paper Mario games? I hardly remember the first one at all... though I've replayed TTYD once or twice, but not in the past couple years. I'm literally on the final boss of Sticker Star but I haven't felt compelled to actually beat it yet (I think I started it last summer, which is actually pretty good time?), probably because I'm sure it will be frustrating and I'll lose a couple times. I don't really like the sticker system to be honest, since I never like using items in games and since they're single-use things it's like........ no... I used a guide for it a lot too for bosses because it's so hard to know what Things you're going to need??? what the heck??

LET'S TALK ABOUT ZERO ESCAPE I'm trying to convince my friend to play it but she just got a ps3 so she's got a huge backlog of stuff to play. I cry about vlr at least once a week (luna ;_; phi ;_;) and my sister really needs to play it so I can relive all the suffering. I need to replay both 999 and vlr.

I need to replay everything. All the AAs, Laytons, zero escapes, hotel dusks, TWEWY oh man, ... On my to-play list are OOT (3DS), PLvsAA, Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy (which I can't find D: D:...), uh. Hearts R when my sister is done with it. Ni no Kuni too, and I really need to finish KH and play KHII and KH3D and I want to replay Days, and I wantED to replay BBS but my brother took it with him...
everything happens so much

this post is long enough i am ENDING it

(edit: i can't BELIEVE my mind blanked on abyss in my tales list, and that my fingers didn't automatically include it themselves. abyss was even my av/sig set when we got here and for a long time on wwv4. i'm upset. i have betrayed myself. this is unacceptable.)

Offline Jingle

• Long Live the Queen
  • StarClanner
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Jingle
  • Out with the old. In with the new.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
FFXIII takes a bit more time to get into it, but the story really picks up around chapter...7, I believe
Oh, that's good! :) Yeah I'm not very far into it at all, they all just became L'Cie, which I assume is roughly where it starts picking up?
I have to be in the right mood to play games with constant turn-based combat like that, though :p it feels so much more disruptive than combat encounters in other games, you know?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 08:55:19 PM »
Oh, that's good! :) Yeah I'm not very far into it at all, they all just became L'Cie, which I assume is roughly where it starts picking up?
I have to be in the right mood to play games with constant turn-based combat like that, though :p it feels so much more disruptive than combat encounters in other games, you know?

Lake bresha is one of my favourite areas!!! so pretty
Story picks up around here, but the major character development comes around chapter 7 so that's my fave parts

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
I need to get round to finishing Portal. Got stuck on Test Chamber 15 :P I'm good at the puzzle aspect of it, but terrible with the physics..
I think I got stuck on one of the rooms where you're supposed to open a new portal while jumping through another portal, but I had no mouse and my touchpad was not conducive to quick, controlled movements like that. also the computer itself had overheating problems so that didn't help. but now it's been long enough that I have a newer laptop so I should probably try again sometime (I got steam on here forever ago, I just haven't... done anything with it)

Most of the discomfort comes from the option for incest marriages and generally fanservicey things like the ability to strip units down to bikinis to fight in and the mode where you rub their faces. Which if you're in one of said incest marriages you'll get lines like "next time let your big sister do the touching!" from. I...am just assuming that's gonna be censored for the English release and I can pretend it's not a thing lol.
okay that's... weird why are they moving in this direction D:
like, I know that in japan it's not super taboo for cousins to get married, which is why that option was still available in awakening (though they kind of toned it down for the english version) but siblings...
honestly I don't know if I'll get it either because I don't know which route to pick anyway?? there's too many things to consider

(I still need to play vlr...)
yes.... it's so good... i'm sure you have heard lol

the day i beat it i literally played from 10am to 10pm straight except to eat wow
my brother and sister kept passing it around while I was playing other things but now that I have a PS Vita I could even buy it on there and have TWO copies?? the power
(and I mean, the franchise really needs the support, so...)
anyway it might have to wait until after Hearts and DD but it's still on my list

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Okay, so for video games I am currently working on playing through all of my massive Steam backlog. So far the plan for how I'm going to do this is:
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • BioShock
  • Every Half-Life game ever
  • Thief Gold
  • System Shock 2
  • I don't know. There are still even more games I own that I have yet to play.
I'm really in to Deus Ex right now, since I finished the original game near the beginning of summer and am currently playing Human Revolution. I really loved just about everything about the original Deus Ex. I mean, it's really dated in a lot of ways (conspiracy theories, trenchcoats, and wearing sunglasses at night are now considered laughably stupid), but the gameplay really shines through and the dated aspects are really more enjoyably cheesy than they are a detriment to the experience.

I'm still not that far in HR, but so far it seems like they've done a good job of capturing what made the first one so good. Not necessarily the stealth and combat, but the RPG element as well as all of the world building and political/philosophical ideas explored through NPC dialogue and in-game text. I think Deus Ex does a really good job in creating an interactive story that emphasizes the player's choices and actions, instead of just playing cutscenes in between fights.

Valkyria Chronicles really seems like a big outlier on that list... I've played a lot of JRPGs, so I kind of felt like looking more into the Western games on Steam was a way of broadening my horizons, but then I was like "This anime World War II simulator seems right up my alley."

Also, RE: Fire Emblem Fates... I kind of anticipated this. Admittedly, Awakening was already sort of heading in this direction, and I didn't like it much at first until I actually played it. Now, obviously they're taking it much farther than what was expected but... well, I guess we'll have to see. The waifus don't directly detract from the actual gameplay, so as long as there are a lot of fun characters with good supports I'll probably be okay with it.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Gorse

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
OKAY AS I SAID ON THE REFRESHER THREAD and as my entire profile probably gives away Kingdom Hearts has basically taken over the past three years of my life and doesn't seem to be willing to let go anytime soon. I have absolutely no problems with this situation.

That being said I also love Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Tales of (especially Abyss), Final Fantasy games, The World Ends with You, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Animal Crossing, The Last of Us, Persona 4, Starbound, Don't Starve, and Fallout (especially New Vegas). There's also plenty of games that fall into the "I could never play it but I love watching LPs of it" which mainly consists of horror games like Fatal Frame, Haunting Ground, and so on.

Offline Heron

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline hail

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »
ahh

the better question is what HAVEN'T I played because I've played pretty much everything mentioned in this thread, but VLR/Skyrim/TOGraces/ORAS are games I've put a lot of time into the past year or so? been playing lots of LA Noire and DKC Tropical Freeze this summer. some of my older faves include Pokemon Crystal and Yoshi's Island

I really can't make myself finish the first FF13 game because I don't wanna bother with the combat but it's immediate on my to-do list along with Super Mario 3D World/Land, FTL: Faster Than Light, and a handful of 4x/grand strategy games like Civ V/Crusader Kings 2/Endless Legend

I also gotta work backwards thru Fire Emblem as a series but I'm avoiding the discussion about FE14

nice! nice. say words to me about any games and I'll say words back

Offline Lightning

• I want to Believe
  • StarClanner
  • 17191 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 02:15:49 AM »
side note Pokemon Shuffle has absorbed my life in 30 minute intervals and I don't know how to stop please send help... or enable me with jewels...
this is my life.

Also I'm a avid gamer and I literally never stop playing video games. I especially like Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Pokemon, and Zelda. Of course, anyone who follows me on tumblr should know that by now and my entire blog is a mixture of video games and cats. Seriously I could go on about Mass Effect especially for ages. I have an N7 hoodie and Joker's SR2 hat (from ME3) and I wear them on an almost daily basis even though it's hot outside. If it's not obvious which Mass Effect character is my favorite... I think you need to do some calibrations. ;) I love my Turian dork and he is amazing and very nerdy, and I have a friend who's just like him oops. I'm beyond exited for Andromeda and I will get an Xbox One just for that.

I will also buy a PS4 just for Final Fantasy VII's remake. It's got a very special place in my heart and I still play it to this day...despite only beating Sephiroth once lmao. I have a PSP version and a PS1 version and both have so many save files because I get bored and like to rename characters.

Pokemon though. I'm starting another thread just for that. I love Pokemon so much.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.