April 23, 2018, 12:51:19 AM

Author Topic: BOOKS  (Read 10517 times)

Offline Holly

BOOKS
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
let's talk about books! what books are you reading? what books are your favorites? what books are you anticipating? and all that jazz.

so my favorites are either adult literary fiction or children's fantasy. under "children's fantasy" my favorites are percy jackson (this has remained like my top favorite children's fantasy series of all time) and the rest of rick riordan's middle grade books, artemis fowl, harry potter, and ranger's apprentice. these are all similar in that they have incredibly sarcastic protagonists and are a ride from start to finish. under "literary fiction" is the song of achilles, the goldfinch, the secret history, les miserables and the book thief.

right now i'm not really reading anything but that's because i just got back from the library and have yet to choose. i kind of want to read a little friend by donna tartt but both her other books are so good and i've heard that a little friend is not so good so i'm sort of hesitant to read it. so eh.

what about you?
tumblr / twitter / goodreads
who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Offline glimmer

Re: BOOKS
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »
i haven't read percy jackson in a while (i typed jacksin lol) but i love it too!! i have house of hades but i have yet to get round to reading it mhm

i love fantasy a lot, and also horror - i'm planning to reread the gone series by michael grant and i also need to buy the rest of the books following the enemy & the dead by charlie higson (which is set really close to my house!). i'm not really reading anything right now, mostly just planning to i guess. but exams are over now so here i come, books.

oh but i did get done with rereading the chronicles of ancient darkness recently! i love nature-y stuff and these books have their fair share of creepy too so they're right up my street. i did end up reading it a little differently though; the protagonists are 12 when the books start and i was younger than that when i first read them so i didn't think much of it, but jeez 12 is a young age to be fighting demons.

blinkie by moss | pixel & clks by altias
(click to show/hide)

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
I'm really really into fantasy and stuff like that! I just read the gathering darkness, which was a decent read, and my favourite series right now is THe iron Fey series. SO GOOD the next book is coming out in november im so hyped I've been waiting so long
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46888 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
I'm studying English Literature in uni, so I tend to read a lot for that ^_^ My modules for next year are Detective Fiction, Dickens & Print Culture, Welsh Writing in English, and Modern Four Nations Literature. Been doing a bit of reading for the Dickens module as that's the only one for which I've been given the reading list, but the Welsh one involves a really brilliant book I read a while ago called Revenant (it's also the only book that's ever rickrolled me :P)

In terms of non-uni reading, I've got a few on the go at the moment:
Mimosa by Susan Wilkinson: non-fiction; about the 160 Welsh migrants who moved to Patagonia in the 19th century
Escape From Camp 14 by Blaine Harden: non-fiction; about Shin Dong-Hyuk, a man who escaped from North Korea
A Sting in the Tale by David Goulson: non-fiction; about bumble bees, and specifically the efforts to re-introduce the short-haired bumble bee to the UK
A Vicky Hill Mystery: Scoop! by Hannah Dennison: fiction (mystery/comedy); second book in a series about an endearingly awkward journalist in rural Devon
Country Dance by Margiad Evans: fiction; early 20th-century novel about a young woman living on the Welsh/English border and her often very distant relationships with the people around her
The Last Black Cat by Eugene Trivisas: fiction (children's); probably the only children's book about genocide that I've ever read; about a cat living on an island where his fellow cats are mysteriously disappearing and propaganda being spread against them, orchestrated by a group called the Guardians of Good Luck
Pan Oedd I'm Fachgen by Mihangel Morgan: fiction; about a young transgender girl discovering her identity (this one's taking me a long time to read, as it's in Welsh, which isn't my first language)

I really need to limit the number of books I'm allowed to read at a time :P

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 846 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
I like to read non-fiction about linguistics, math and early american history

as for fiction i prefer stuff that's like "litfic" and doesn't have much plot, or where at least the plot isn't the important part. just stuff with nice writing and ideas and characters and stuff. if i can enjoy the feeling of reading it in the moment that's what i'm there for.

my favorite books are I Am a Cat and Kokoro by Natsume Soseki and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I also like Italo Calvino and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

currently (haha even though i haven't read a thing since school ended) i am reading a book about Japanese linguistics, The Grapes of Math (about math lol) and Bluestar's Prophecy. Things i have on my to read list are Kusamakura and Sanshiro by Natsume Soseki and a textbook about syntax.

i really like natsume soseki guys

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46888 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »
as for fiction i prefer stuff that's like "litfic" and doesn't have much plot, or where at least the plot isn't the important part. just stuff with nice writing and ideas and characters and stuff. if i can enjoy the feeling of reading it in the moment that's what i'm there for.

Same ^.^ A book like this that I really enjoyed was Winter Sonata by Dorothy Edwards :)

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline broadwaystar

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »
Books are my favorite. Right now, I'm between books (except for Celebration of Discipline, which I've been chipping through for the past 6 months). I'm planning on reading I Was Here by Gayle Forman next. Young Adult is definitely my favorite genre, but I've been branching out lately, now that I'm past the teen years. I'll read some adult fiction, and I'm always desperately searching for books about college students. I'm rereading Warriors for funsies. Best book I've read this summer is probably Mr. Penumbra's 24 Bookstore. That book was a ton of fun.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't read as much as I used, but I still try to make time.
I find I go through phases where I'll read like crazy for a month or two then take a month or two off.
Right now I'm attempting to read Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. It's starting off a little slow for me, butI I'm gonna see if I can push through in hopes that it gets better. I have another book I recently picked up called Dark Star by Bethany Frenette. Haven't started it, but it sounds interesting.

I really like reading Young Adult fiction. I find I have a hard time relating to Adult fiction.
I really prefer to read Urban Fantasy type novels or Contemporary; though I do enjoy the odd high-fantasy novel.
Also I have been known to read books solely on the basis of bad, one-star reviews.

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4987 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
I hardly read anything anymore ever because school has almost absolutely killed my drive to read anything. Taking children's lit classes has been SO GREAT though because I get to read kids books. for class. sweet starclan

For my writing class last semester I read Marissa Meyer's Cinder and when I go to the bookstore on friday I really want to get the next book (or maybe the next couple...) because DANG did that ending ever have a cliffhanger. The other people in my class actually went out and bought the next books too because they were as frustrated as I was, lol. It's a pretty good book! I really liked it.

uh, other stuff we read... Will Grayson, Will Grayson I kind of liked, but it lost the magic for me when Isaac was debunked (the whole online boyfriend thing really got to me, I was totally hooked). The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate was kind of cute too. I rather enjoyed Anderson's Feed even though the whole anti-tech thing was a little overboard. Grasshopper Jungle was hella weird but the way the narrative was written was kind of neat? Also the protag was bi (I think). The ending sucked though.

I'm forgetting what else we read last semester so it can't be all that important. Cinder was the best one though.

Offline Heron

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
I read a lot of YA, nonfiction, sci fi, and fantasy. I also like medical thrillers, but I haven't read that many of them.

I read at least a couple dozen books a year, not counting textbooks. I re-read Catching Fire recently, and I haven't really decided what to read next after I finish re-reading Mockingjay. I have an Asian literature class coming up, though, so I might just focus on those for a while. I'm also planning on ordering two novels I want in Italian and trying to translate them into English, though that'll probably take me a while.

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:14:23 AM »
I haven't read a whole lot since I graduated, probably because I had to read so much in school that I got kind of sick of it... lately I've just been trying to get through some of the warriors super editions that I haven't read yet.

mostly I like fiction and fantasy, especially about animals, but recently the only thing that's caught my eye is the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. it's basically a reimagining of the napoleonic wars in a world with DRAGONS. so it's got a mix of historical/political stuff and fantasy elements, with the different dragon breeds and how different cultures treat/use tamed dragons and all that. and considering it mostly revolves around the 19th century english military (aka a bunch of white dudes), I think it does a pretty good job with representation? there are female captains, and there are characters who are eventually revealed to be gay, and since the main characters travel so much they meet people from africa, china, south america, all sorts of places.

also fun fact, the author is one of the founders of the Organization for Transformative Works, which runs Archive of Our Own. she totally supports (and is part of) fandoms and fans' rights to create derivative works and I think that's p cool

my favorite books are I Am a Cat and Kokoro by Natsume Soseki and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I also like Italo Calvino and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
I swear someday I'm going to read I Am a Cat. I mean, cats and japanese. what's better than this

also have you ever heard of/read The Housekeeper and the Professor? it's a novel by Yoko Ogawa about a single mother working as a housekeeper, and the professor she starts working for, who has extreme memory problems. but mostly it's full of friendship and applying mathematical concepts to life and for some reason that made me think of you

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 846 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:08 AM »

I swear someday I'm going to read I Am a Cat. I mean, cats and japanese. what's better than this

you could even read it IN JAPANESE o:

also have you ever heard of/read The Housekeeper and the Professor? it's a novel by Yoko Ogawa about a single mother working as a housekeeper, and the professor she starts working for, who has extreme memory problems. but mostly it's full of friendship and applying mathematical concepts to life and for some reason that made me think of you

this sounds like my aesthetic... it might be something to consider in the future

Offline Lightning

• I want to Believe
  • StarClanner
  • 17191 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 12:53:26 AM »
This sounds really interesting.. I might need to look that up one of these days.

Besides Warriors, I'm pretty much YA trash tbh. I read Maximum Ride, Artemis Fowl, TimeRiders (the author follows me on twitter so that's really cool!!), and a slew of other stuff. I've also been a huge fan of the Caster Chronicles since the first book, Beautiful Creatures, was released, and to this day it's one of the only sets of books that I enjoy. I have yet to see the movie, as I don't want to see what they've done to Lena- she's my favorite character and I'd hate to see her personality ruined.

And despite the hate John Green gets, I actually really like some of his work??? I fell in love with Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska from the moment I picked up the books, and I finished both of them within two days.The only one of his works that I'm unable to finish is The Fault in Our Stars, because the topic at hand hits way too close to home for me to be okay reading it.

I also really enjoyed the Mass Effect books tbh. They were an interesting read and although they don't quite match up with the games, they're still pretty neat.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline broadwaystar

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 08:46:07 PM »
And despite the hate John Green gets, I actually really like some of his work??? I fell in love with Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska from the moment I picked up the books, and I finished both of them within two days.The only one of his works that I'm unable to finish is The Fault in Our Stars, because the topic at hand hits way too close to home for me to be okay reading it.

John Green novels are so good. He has a great writing style, and knack for making quirky, likeable characters. I think they tend to be very strong thematically too. There's a lot of good stuff to think about within them all.

Offline rowan

• Oel-cir'va of the Folk
  • ThunderClan
  • 6304 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To rowan
  • eater of leafs
  • awards This mini-feather is presented to those who have or have had a character with a high rank! This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ThunderClan!
  • Referrals: 60
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart!
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »
Oh!! Books! Books.

I'm a super big fan of Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams - it's older than Warriors, but it makes you wonder whether Warriors was inspired by it or not. (I always thought that maybe Fritti was Firestar's ancestor somehow, haha.)

I also really like Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland - it's all about dragons. I dreamt last night that my hold on the first book of the second series went through, but unfortunately, I'm still waiting. I really enjoyed reading the first series.

I used to read Redwall, but it's been a long time and I don't remember all the details. I always liked the badgers.

Uhh... what else... I also like Tad Williams' other series, Otherland. It's about the internet as a fully immersive experience. I never got to finish it (that adhd feel) but I want to find it again so I can try again! I hear there's a game that'll be based around it.
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}