• La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Alone
Re: BOOKS
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 01:20:26 AM »
And despite the hate John Green gets, I actually really like some of his work??? I fell in love with Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska from the moment I picked up the books, and I finished both of them within two days.The only one of his works that I'm unable to finish is The Fault in Our Stars, because the topic at hand hits way too close to home for me to be okay reading it.

John Green novels are so good. He has a great writing style, and knack for making quirky, likeable characters. I think they tend to be very strong thematically too. There's a lot of good stuff to think about within them all.

Mmhmm. Paper Towns made think about many things. I've got a friend who is just like Margo, who is an amazing female character and just has a lot of good development. And his characters really aren't just that- or at least with me, they're not. It actually felt like I was in in the book with its characters. Getting that feeling from a book is really rare.

..and then we have Thirteen Reasons Why. I actually needed to sit my book down after finishing it because of how powerful it was.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
Oh, oh, oh! Speaking of good books...

If you're a fan of dragons then the Age of Fire series by E.E. Knight is really good (so long as you ignore the last one like I do). It follows three dragon siblings as they grow up in a world where dragons are slowly dying out and how they're trying to change that. Really great dragon perspectives on everything. Not to mention a group of kick-butt female dragons.

Clare Bell's The Named/Ratha's Creature series is also good. I haven't read them all, but I own the first three.

Once again, still haven't finished the full series, but Meredith Ann Pierce's Firebringer series is going pretty great. I love reading about the unicorn's society and the strong lives.

And the Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins. I loved the snarky, sarcastic protagonist. Very funny, but could get serious when it needed to be.

I remember really like Looking for Alaska, Anna and the French Kiss (which I wanted to dislike) and this other book called Graffiti Moon. I wouldn't mind re-reading them, in fact. Also enjoyed Frankenstein. However, I also worry that if I re-read them then I actually won't like them anymore. I feel like that happens a bit too often for me. First read through is great, and then on the second I guess I start to notice errors or issues with certain characters that I didn't notice before.

Then there's the issue of book series that start off good then go downhill which is always sad and disappointing. You love the story, writing and/or characters so much in the first that you want read more about them. But what you get... eesh. Wolves of Mercy Falls, Twilight (fight me - I still like the first book), Age of Fire (really the first four book are great, but it goes downhill fast after that), etc.

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »
I am also YA trash but like... Fantasy YA trash. The worst trash
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46928 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
Books currently on my to-read list are:

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
The Running Sky by Tim Dee
Salar the Salmon by Henry Williamson (same guy who wrote Tarka the Otter)
Exit to Eden by Anne Rice (I started this one months ago, but never got round to finishing it; was given it by my girlfriend as a Valentine's Day present, and it happened that my present to her was also a book. I love dating a fellow literary nerd xD)
The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

I'd recommend Salar the Salmon and Williamson's other book Tarka the Otter to readers of Warrior Cats, particularly those involved in the "traditionalism" movement; there isn't any dialogue in them, but they include an array of interesting animal characters while avoiding anthropomorphising them at all ^_^

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4987 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
I went to the bookstore yesterday (and couldn't buy any Warriors books because I don't know where I left off in buying them :C... I was pretty sure I only had the first two DotC books so I could buy the third but I didn't just to be safe) and yeahhhhhhhhh I found Scarlet and Cress and I bought them. I don't want to read them until I find Cinder (it's in my school stuff probably) and poke around the ending again, just because it was months ago that I finished it, and since I think the second one picks up right where it left off, I want to be Ready.

Take children's lit classes, guys, they're really fun.

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »
@Sunneth omggggg i LOVE The Lunar Chronicles. Cinder and Scarlet and Cress are all so good (scarlet the character annoys me a lil though). i'm so ready for Winter to come out.

my absolute favorites are The Book Thief, Looking for Alaska, and..probably Harry Potter.

i haven't had much time to read lately but i am total YA fiction trash, and i love fantasy. really realistic fiction bores me usually. i'm trying to get into Shiver, because i absolutely love maggie stiefvater. her writing is some of my favorite. The Scorpio Races and The Raven Boys (haven't read the rest of them) are amaziiinggg.

Offline Ariel

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
@tinyfeather I love Maggie's writing, too! I actually got to go to one of her book signings. She talked about all the books she wrote and had a few people come up on stage with her and read part of the second book of the Raven Boys series. She's really awesome!

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50780 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 03:36:26 PM »
I feel like I don't read at all lately omg

I just bought House of Hades, fourth in the Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus series so I've got that to catch up with.
Keep telling myself I'm gonna get game of thrones as an audio book just to check the hype and I don't know why that hasn't happened yet

I mean past couple years I read a lot of John Green and I remember liking Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns the best.

I read some comics, my sig/avvie are from True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys and I absolutely love the art of that plus the world of 2019 Battery City is super appealing to me. Hard to find others into it because it feels like MCRmy focuses on how the characters the band played are dead in the comic when there's so much other cool stuff happening at the same time.

Noteworthy comic also is East of West, which is like... well it's another apocalypse story

Recently did a re-read of Harry Potter and my favorite of the series is Order of the Phoenix and my least favorite is Half Blood Prince although I'd probably have to go back through and take notes to put my finger on why

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46928 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »
Hope it's okay for me to drag this thread up again :P

Currently reading "The Castle of Otranto", widely regarded as the first Gothic novel and which allegedly "terrified [its] first readers". Plot so far:

Conrad, son of the perpetually angry Prince Manfred, has died after being squashed by a giant helmet
A peasant reckons the helmet was from a statue in a local cathedral
Manfred gets so angry that he accuses the peasant of being a magician/necromancer and makes him sit under the helmet with no food as punishment
No one's really bothered about this, as they reckon that since he's a magician he can just magic himself some food if he needs any
Manfred decides to have a word with Isabella (who later became the namesake for about 34279431 Gothic female protagonists) who was supposed to be marrying Conrad, and decides to marry her instead
She points out he's already married, and he's like, "not any more lol" and divorces his wife on the spot
Isabella, understandably horrified, is like, "Look, a talking painting!" and runs away while Manfred is distracted and decides it'd be much less hassle if she just became a nun
Turns out the talking painting was actually the ghost of Manfred's grandfather, who then makes Manfred follow him around the castle

This is going to be an interesting read xD

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »
lmao YA fiction trash soooo very accurately describes me. I've been hitting the cat fantasy books hardcore lately: The Wild Road, The Golden Cat, Varjak Paw books, The Tygrine Cat, and I am in the middle of reading Tailchaser's Song (I never get many chances to sit down and read cries). I also have some books that I would like to add to my Cat Nerd Book Hoard....no idea when I will get a chance to expand it though....

Shoutouts to some of my other faves that have already been listed in this thread (The Temeraire series, Redwall, The Book Thief are all amazing reads)

I have to say though, if I'm being honest my favorite book is still To Kill a Mockingbird

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 01:33:03 PM »
REAL talk does anyone read any bad YA fantasy????? I have SO much to say

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »
depends on what defines bad tbh I enjoy all the ones I read so....................

~Happy Halloween~

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »
ok same but like... the ones that are obviously not that well written (aka all of them)
I just finished reading the Fallen Kingdoms series, or at least the three books that are currently released. They're enjoyable, but that're kinda just mediocre

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50780 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 02:11:45 PM »
So it's not exactly a YA book but it was awful...

The worst book I've ever read was called "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb
and I punched the book, I want to punch the author, and I also want to punch the friend that recommended this trash to me, and also punch them a few more times because they tried quoting this mandarinesque book when I was feeling low but he was 100% unironically quoting it as if it was sound advice.

It is the enemy.
Here's some reviews.

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
@Heat I've actually never heard of Fallen Kingdoms, what's it about? O:

Also the first fantasy that's coming to my mind is the Fablehaven series which I loved to death tbh

Also the Eragon/Inheritance books weren't especially well written but they had some Cool ideas and concepts and stuff in them.

@lavender I read ONE review for that book and decided I will never read it lol..................

~Happy Halloween~