November 20, 2018, 12:33:29 PM

Author Topic: Video games are bad for you  (Read 340 times)

Offline Neon Skylite

Video games are bad for you
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:19:41 AM »
and so is it when your beliefs are violated but you need to do this for debating.

Since I've moved to a new school, I'm reapplying for the debating team there, and our auditioning speech is "Are video games good for you?" I would probably have a 100% win rate if I was for, because of both my ability of public speaking and some solid evidence that they are good, but I'm against.

Because of course I am, Lady Luck.

My auditioning speech has to be 4 minutes, and I only have one point, courtesy mother -- "video games keep you inside if you don't play them you can go outside and see N A T U R E and M A K E  F R I E N D S and play S P O R T" but other than that I don't have anything, halp me WW

Offline Heron

Re: Video games are bad for you
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 05:31:59 AM »
Maybe you could talk about how, if they spend a ton of time playing computer games using a mouse, someone could potentially develop carpal tunnel syndrome in their wrist? Mentioning potential physical problems might win people over to your side. There's probably stuff you can find out there about staring at screens for long periods of time being bad for your eyes, too.
Good luck on your audition!

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
Find a way to spin it so that you believe in what you are saying, then write it

That's what my partner and I did for our japanese debate about GMOs
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »
In addition to talking about eye strain and RSIs, it might be worth it to also bring up addiction.

Also, you should obviously avoid the old "Video games cause violence" cliche, not just because you'll have a hard time finding credible studies that support it but because your opponent will likely be anticipating it and have a good counterpoint ready.

Good luck playing devil's advocate.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |