September 21, 2018, 08:55:22 PM

Author Topic: Recipe thread  (Read 371 times)

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
Recipe thread
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »
Howdy all you ADULTS. As people potentially responsible for our own well-being who need to eat food to survive, let's share recipes for things we like to make in this thread!! our own ww cookbook!! I've been cooking dinners lately and I will be down for some neat ideas I kinda enjoy it unexpectedly.

If you post here I will make an index in the OP it'll be fun!!!! Share pictures too if you have them! let's all be pinterest moms

INDEX

Dustfeather
Sweet Potato and Parsnip Soup

Frosty
Bengal Tiger Chicken
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
No-fail Divinity
Rhubarb Crisp

Jingle
Egg Drop Soup
Panera Chicken and Rice Soup
Nutella Mug Cake

moss
PASTA THING
Panang Curry with Vegetables
Curry Ramen Soup with Chicken
Cashew Chicken
Garlic Sesame Spaghetti
Corn Clam Chowder

Honey Barbecue Bratwurst

Neon Skylite
Banana Cake
Shepherd's Pie

moss's recipes!!!!!!

I make everything enough for 4 people and there's usually leftovers so adjust amounts if needed!

The classic dish affectionately dubbed PASTA THING
**highly recommended and can be vouched for by @Jingle :-)

Ingredients
  • 1 box of penne pasta
  • 1/2 cup of sun-dried tomato dressing
  • 2 cups (1 can) chicken broth
  • 1 package (8oz) neufchatel cheese
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp black pepper

Instructions
  • Cook pasta.
  • In a pan put the dressing, broth and garlic/pepper and cook until heated. Cut the cheese into chunks and add to the pan and cook until melted. Add more garlic powder and pepper to your liking (I always do this at least a few times lol).
  • After draining the pasta put it back in the pot and add the sauce and stir it up.

Panang Curry with Vegetables
**It's spicy but not WAY too spicy, you can put a little less of the curry paste in if you want it to be less spicy!

Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp Panang curry paste
  • 2 cans coconut milk
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 zucchini
  • 2 cups broccoli

Instructions
  • Chop the vegetables!! Get your rice started in the rice cooker if you have one of those like me lol
  • Open the cans of coconut milk and scoop out the creamy part and put that in a pan and heat that up.
  • Add the curry paste and stir it into the coconut milk until it smells like some #good #mandarin.
  • Add the liquid part of the coconut milk, fish sauce, onions and carrots and bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let it simmer for a couple minutes.
  • Then add the rest of ya vegetables and cook until they're how you like.
  • Serve over rice.

Curry Ramen Soup with Chicken
**Same spiciness note, though this is less spicy than the previous recipe. ALSO WARNING: with these amounts I used there were leftovers for about a week lol so probably adjust

Ingredients
  • 4 blocks of ramen noodles
  • 1lb boneless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
  • 3 tbsp Panang curry paste (or red but I have panang)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp ginger (grating it didn't really work for me, so I ended up with a bunch of stringy ginger lol, do whatever works or omit it if you want)
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1.5 cups water
  • oil

Instructions
  • Put a couple tablespoons of oil in your pot with the curry paste, garlic and ginger and heat for a couple of minutes til it smells good.
  • Add the chicken and cook that for another few minutes til it's turning white. You might need to add extra oil here bc I did.
  • Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, chicken broth and water and boil.
  • Also cook the ramen noodles while this is happening. Then serve :)

Cashew Chicken

Ingredients
  • 20 oz boneless chicken breast, cut into pieces
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced (depending on the size, I used 4 but they weren't very big ones)
  • 1 onion
  • 4 green onion
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1.5 cups whole cashews
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 tbsp oil

Instructions
  • Chop ya veggies. get ya rice started.
  • Mix soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, water in a bowl.
  • Put oil in a pan and cook the chicken a bit on both sides til it's mostly white.
  • Move the chicken aside and put the onion and garlic in the oil and cook that for just a bit and then add the peppers and cashews.
  • Fry together with the chicken and then add the sauce from the bowl and stir it all up. Add the green onion.
  • Put it on the rice!!!

Garlic Sesame Spaghetti

Ingredients
  • 1 box spaghetti
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1.5 tsp sesame seeds
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce
  • 2-2.5 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tsp sesame oil
  • 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Instructions
  • Cook pasta.
  • Mix soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, sesame oil and vinegar in a bowl. Then add the garlic and sesame seeds and stir it up.
  • Drain the pasta and then stir it up with the sauce.

Corn Clam Chowder
**this is so good

Ingredients
  • 2 cans clam
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 1 16oz package frozen corn
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 4-6 slices of bacon however much you want (I used 4)
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp worcester sauce
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • however much ground cayenne red pepper you want (I put in quite a bit lol)
  • oil

Instructions
  • Slice bacon, chop onions, put in a pot with oil and cook until the bacon is done enough.
  • Add chicken broth and the cans of clam, boil.
  • Add the creamed corn and frozen corn.
  • In a bowl mix half and half, milk and flour, whisk it up. Then when the corn is done put all of that in the pot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat.
  • Add the worcester sauce, salt, black and red pepper until it tastes as desired.
  • Heat until it's hot enough to eat then eat.

Offline Jingle

• Long Live the Queen
  • StarClanner
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Jingle
  • Out with the old. In with the new.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Recipe thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:13:50 PM »
Oh my god yes I can def verify, pasta thing is delicious pls do yourself a favor and make it, impress your friends and family with your ability to melt cheese and cook pasta ;) It also tastes really good if you add in some chicken or shrimp imo

Anyways I'm super into collecting recipes, though I don't often have the patience to actually cook them? But boy howdy do I like to tell myself I will. I use the website copymethat to keep all my recipes, it's like a handy online cookbook that lets you easily collect recipes from a bunch of different websites in one place instead of just favoriting them in your browser (like I used to) lmao.

Looking at the recipes I've actually made here are a few good ones:

Egg Drop Soup:  
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chicken broth 
  • 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce   
  • 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil   
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional) 
  • 2 teaspoons water (optional) 
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)     
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (optional)
Instructions:
In a small saucepan, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce and sesame oil. Bring to a
 boil. Stir together the cornstarch and water to dissolve cornstarch;
pour into the boiling broth. Stir gently while you pour in the egg and
yellow food coloring if using. Season with chives, salt and pepper
before serving.

Panera Chicken and Rice Soup:  
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
  • 1/2 cup finely diced celery
  • 1 medium onion finely diced
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  •    32 ounces chicken stock
  •   2 cups water
  •   2 cups milk, divided
  •   1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or finely diced
  •   1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4.3-ounce box of Rice a Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice + seasoning packet
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • scallions, to garnish
Instructions:
1.   Place the carrots, celery, onion, and olive oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven to the soup pot. Allow the carrots, celery, and onion simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
2.    Add the garlic cloves, chicken stock, water, and 1 cup of milk to the mixture and mix.
3.    Add the pepper, dried oregano, bay leaf, and chicken. Mix until combined. Allow the soup to simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
4.    Whisk together the other 1 cup of milk with the 1/2 cup flour until smooth. Place into the soup mixture and whisk until combined.
5.    Place the long grain and wild rice and the seasoning packet into the soup and mix until combined. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6.    Serve and garnish with fresh scallions.

Nutella Mug Cake:  
Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup Nutella
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • butter (just enough to coat the inside of the mug/ramekin)
Instructions:
Butter the inside of the mug (or ramekin).  Combine all ingredients into the oversized mug. Mix with a fork or a small whisk until smooth. The batter rises quite a bit, so be sure you have a large enough cup; you can also fill two small ramekins with this amount if you prefer. Cook it in the microwave for about 1 minute. A knife inserted should come out clean and the top of cake should look done. If the top is still not set, put it in for another 20 seconds. Serve with fresh whip cream or a small scoop of ice cream and fresh fruit.
Note: I don't usually think it's worth putting back in, it tastes better under-cooked than over-cooked imo

anyways I have several more recipes but I didn't want this post to be super long, and also it's a pain to re-format them for Ww lmao, maybe I will add more later :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Neon Skylite

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:42:35 AM »
Have two recipes from my mother. These are more or less taken word for word, except those marked with strikethrough.

Banana Cake
You will need:
  • 125 grams/4 ounces of butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups of self-raising flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • Half a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tablespoons of milk

Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time: beat well after each egg. Peel and mash bananas, measure 1 cup, add to creamed mixture, mix well. Fold in the sifted flour, salt and soda alternately with the milk. Spoon mixture evenly into two greased and greased-paper-lined 18cm/7 inch sandwich tins. (My mum used a bundt pan, though) Bake in moderate oven 25 for 30 minutes. When cold, fill with whipped cream, dust top with sifted icing sugar.

Shepherd's Pie
Serves 4.
You will need:
  • 750 grams/1 1/2 pounds cold cooked meat
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 30 grams/1 ounce butter
  • 1 tablespoon of flour
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 chicken stock cube
  • 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
  • 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce, salt and pepper
  • 750 grams/1 1/2 pounds potatoes
  • 60 grams/2 ounces of extra butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg yolk

Peel potatoes, cook until tender, drain; mash well. Mince together meat, onion, and carrot. Melt butter, stir in flour, stir over medium heat until brown.  Remove from heat, gradually stir in water, add crumbled stock cube, sauces, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil, stirring, remove from heat, stir in meat mixture. Spoon into greased casserole dish.

Heat milk and extra butter, add mashed potato, heat until creamy, adding a little more milk, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Spread over meat mixture, brush with beaten egg yolk, mark decoratively with knife. Bake in moderate oven 30 minutes.

Note: Minced steak can be substituted for the cooked meat in above recipe. Melt butter, saute 750 grams/1 1/2 pounds, minced steak, chopped onion and grated carrot until meat is well browned, pour off surplus fat. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons flour, (a little more than in the first recipe) then proceed as above.

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46926 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
Sweet potato and parsnip soup

2-3 servings depending on appetite :3

1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
2 stock cubes, dissolved in 900ml (1.5 pints) water
2cm (just under 1 inch) cube of butter
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp basil
1 tsp coriander
Salt and pepper, to taste

Method:
1. Fry the vegetables in the butter in a large saucepan for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the herbs, spices, stock, salt, and pepper.
3. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Take the soup off the heat and blend with a handheld blender.

If you want you can also use a bayleaf (just remember to take it out before blending) ^_^

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline Frosty (Frosty)

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
Did someone say recipies?!?!?!?!?! I DUCKING LOVE COOKING AND I NEED TO DO IT MORE!
Have some (not all) of my favorite recipies. Some my grandma gave me (and my mom has had to copy them from me because my grandma wouldn't share with her), so I'm not sharing everything with you guys. :P

Bengal Tiger Chicken
4 chicken Breasts, halved (you can also use sliced breasts too, you'd just need to adjust- Generally you want to cover almost all of the bottom of the dish)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1cup of mayo (I've only ever used Duke's Mayo, but just don't use Miracle whip, it has to be a mayo)
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup Herb-seasoned Bread crumbs, fine
~6 tablespoons melted butter (it says 8, but it also says use less, I use about 4, but you really gotta eyeball it)

Put the chicken in a flat baking dish (I use a 9x13 cassarole dish, you'll want something with depth to it)
Mix Soup, Mayo & paprika, and pour over chicken. Make sure the mixture covers everything. Bake uncovered 40 minutes @ 350F. Mix cheese and Bread crumbs and sprinkle over chicken. Drizzle with melted butter, and bake another 20 minutes.

My family and I usually eat it with rice. The Mayo mixture (we call it goop) tastes quite delicious with rice, but I have sopped it with bread before and that's also good.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
1 cup Butter
2 cups Suger
Cream these together before you continue
2 eggs- beat in one at a time
Add:
   1 cup sour cream
   1/2 teaspoon vanilla
   2 cups flour
  1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix all together. Pour 1/2 of batter in a well greased (pam w/ flour) bundt pan.
Sprinkle on top with:
     1 cup chopped nuts (I don't include nuts, but you can if you want
     1 teaspoon cinnamon
     4 teaspoon sugar
Pour remaining batter on top. Bake 350F 50-55 minutes. check with a Toothpick. When done, turn upside down to cool.

No-fail Divinity
Just a heads up, this one is a christmas candy. just telling you now, if you do make it, you need to dedicate yourself to working out because like, holy cow, there's a lot of sugar. Also, you CAN NOT use a hand held mixer. it eats those things for a meal, and then you'd have to mix it by hand, and it's no bueno.

3 XL egg whites- beat stiff
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
     Cook the sugar water until it spins a thread, then add to egg whites. Mix until creamy
3 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of water
1 cup white Karo
cook the sugar water and karo until it reaches 250F
Add the sugar water and karo slowly while beating egg whites
Add Vanilla and Almond flavoring (about 1 teaspoon each)
Continue beating until it loses its gloss

if it's setting up (getting stiff) too quickly, you can add a tiny amount of boiling water to it.

Grab a spoon and set out wax paper. Drop spoonfuls on the wax paper (you'll need to use your hand to get it off of the spoon), and add either a candy cherry half or an almond. This makes about 6 dozen.

Rhubarb Crisp
6 cups of sliced rhubarb (slice it like you would green onions, but not too thin)
1 1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
mix together and pour into a 9x13 pan

Topping- mix with hands until crumbly
 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup dry quick oatmeal
3/4 cup soft butter

Bake 375F for 35 minutes.

I can share more, I just thought I'd start with these.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
here's a new one! simple and good !!

Honey Barbecue Bratwurst

Ingredients
  • pack of bratwurst
  • 6 tablespoons of barbecue sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 1/2 cup + 1/4 cup water
  • sesame seeds
  • oil

Instructions
  • Put some oil in your pan and cook the bratwurst for several minutes until they are getting brown on both sides
  • Reduce heat and put the 1/2 cup water in pan and put the lid on and cook that for 10 minutes
  • Take the bratwurst out of the pan and dump it and slice up the bratwurst
  • Put the bratwurst back in the pan on medium heat and add the 1/4 cup water, barbecue sauce and honey. Cook and stir that around until the bratwurst is done and the sauce thickens up a little
  • Sprinkle sesame seeds on at the end and serve with some broccoli and mashed potatoes!