October 23, 2017, 09:25:25 PM

Author Topic: The Flower Project  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Jilda

The Flower Project
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »
UPDATE 7/8 added a mandarin ton of new flowers to the list, there's actually a whole ton that the tumblr artist never did. Hopefully we can find flowers for every cat who deserves a card! And some cats who we may have already paired may now suit a different plant better, so if you'd like to look into that go ahead. Also put all flowers into alphabetical order so that should make things a bit easier. I'll probably edit this thread more when I'm back on later to make another list which lists all the cats with flowers already so things are less cluttered.

So I mentioned wanting to do this on the general chat thread last night and today when I woke up I was just sorta like "what the heck I want to do this" so... here we are.

I'm titling this the Flower Project - basically making cards of the cats with a flower that has a meaning which represents them best. With many, many flowers to choose from I'm pretty sure we could find one fitting for each cat. Oh and yes we -- I'd like for this to be a sort of collaborative project, as there is so much talent on this forum it's almost ridiculous and with a lot of flowers and many, many, many characters to draw, help would be very appreciated.

I would like to set it up in a way where there are sets - a set for the original arc, the new prophecy, power of three, and omen of the stars. I'd also like to make one for Dawn of the Clans but still have yet to read them ( though I'm planning on getting my butt to the library pretty soon to get them and read them as my introduction back into warriors ), and maybe a set for the super editions that take place prior to the original arc? (i.e. Bluestar's Prohecy, Crookedstar's Promise, Yellowfang's Secret, Tallstar's Revenge)

And I'd prefer focusing on the main & primary characters of each arc. If we did every single cat there would not be enough flowers to go around. :s

Before starting the actual drawings though I do at the very least need help with sorting characters to what flowers fits them best especially as I haven't read the series in a while either. I've already matched up a few which imo were sorta obvious, though if you guys disagree let me know. Here is a list of all the flowers, more may be added if I find more; it's subject to change:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

credit: this entire concept  for matching characters with flowers was thought up by Cassandra Jean, a well known artist in the tmi community.  Her tumblr is here (will take you to her flower tag with her flower cards): http://cassandrajp.tumblr.com/tagged/shadowhunter-flowers

A lot of info on flowers and their meanings came from here: http://www.aboutflowers.com/images/stories/Florist/languageofflowers-flowerdictionary.pdf

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Jingle

• Long Live the Queen
  • StarClanner
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Jingle
  • Out with the old. In with the new.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Flower Project
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
Ahh this is neat :) I'm terrible at ideas, but I think "daylily // mother's love" could be good for Ferncloud? And "monkshood // beware a deadly foe" could be Scourge? though maybe I'm misinterpreting that one
And maybe "wolfsbane // knight" for Redtail? idk why I feel like that'd be good tho

I'd also be happy to help do a few arts when the time comes :3

(click to show/hide)

Offline altias

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:08:10 PM »
Maybe 32. harebell // grief --Cloudstar? From SkyClan, when they had to leave the forest.

Annnnd maybe 26. hollyhock // ambition --Scourge?
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:32:47 PM »
This is an AWESOME idea and I'd love to help :D

Some of my suggestions for character - flower pairings:

acorn or monkshood - Mapleshade (acorn/immortal because she just never seems to go away, monkshood because she is a deadly foe)

monkshood could also perhaps apply to Scourge

mock orange - Sol (deceit, he was a sneaky guy if I recall)

currant - Crookedstar (thy frown will kill me. I mean it's not exactly a frown but rather his face is messed up. It could also possibly instead apply to his mother Rainflower who was pretty awful to him after his accident :C )

motherwort - Oakheart (concealed love, pretty obvious, though I'm not sure if this just means concealed from the one you love or if it's open to interpretation or what)

wolfsbane - Whitestorm (knight, he kinda becomes this when Firestar becomes leader, also in the Bloodclan battle)

witch hazel - Mothwing (spells, because of the medicine cat connection mostly, also it just seems like her for whatever reason)

maidenhair fern - Ivypool (secrecy, she had to sneak into the dark forest and was essentially a spy in that way)

hollyhock - Thistleclaw (ambition, wanted Thunderclan leadership, pretty obvious)

helmet flower - Barley (chivalry, just kinda describes his character imo)

fir - Fallen Leaves (time has no meaning as he wanders lost in the caves)

ok, that's a good chunk I need to take a break and maybe think of some more later because I'm getting to the point of overthinking this :P

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Jilda

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:48:13 PM »
eeeee thank you all <33 I'm so pumped for this y'all don't even know and I'm loving your suggestions, I'll edit the list (:

( there were some suggested for multiple characters - I'll make a follow up post with what I chose to do and why, and if any of you disagree just give me the heads up, sorta like the person who suggested secrecy for Ivypool - I would not have realized that )

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17163 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:13 PM »
I'm just gonna pop in here and say that this is a very lovely idea, and I can't wait to see what comes out of this. I'm loving this so far. =)

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Jilda

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 11:11:54 PM »
@Lightning thank you!! hey if you have any ideas for what cat could be paired with what flower though, go ahead and suggest. Open to anything.

Okay so I put Whitestorm for Knight as I feel he was more of a prominent character than Redtail, though I also feel like redtail deserves a card and I'm trying to look for any that could suit him :( while he was never that big of a character, his character drove a lot of the plot and drama in the first arc.

for grief I really like Cloudstar, though I was also thinking what about Mosskit? Like she's basically a representation of Bluestar's grief with having to give up her kits and Mosskit dying and stuff but idk, whichever you all prefer

I put Lionheart down for constancy as he was very loyal to pinestar and thats basically how he earned his warrior name lol

Scourge I like the idea of putting him for deadly foe however I feel maybe King of Industry fits him better? Mainly cause he started up bloodclan and all that. If we put him for that I'd switch Mapleshade over to deadly foe but again whatever you guys prefer c:

thank you ss !! <3

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 12:07:59 AM »
You know, I do actually think Scourge matches king of industry very well.

I'm torn though because I think Mapleshade pairs with immortal better than with deadly foe? Well, actually she matches that pretty well, but I'm not sure of any character who matches with immortal better than her...maybe Rock I suppose?

Grief and Mosskit match very well too, but I can't say how well Cloudstar matches because I haven't read that book yet. Might be good to stick with Cloudstar to get better coverage of more series.

Redtail...perhaps coltsfoot // justice shall be done? Tigerstar murdered him but didn't get away with his plans, ultimately.
I was thinking this flower might also match Stonefur's unrightful death too.

Some more ideas:

red catchfly // youthful energy -- Swiftpaw
white zinnia // goodness -- Midnight? (I think she deserves a card and can't think of a better one to match her to D: )
nasturtium // patriotism -- Tawnypelt (Her loyalty towards Shadowclan basically)
hydrangea // cold heartlessness -- Darkstripe (or Bone?)
delphinium // haughtiness -- Blackstar?
fern // circumspection -- Mistystar? she's always seemed a reasonable character

Some characters I think maybe deserve mentions but I'm not sure how to sort:
Brokenstar
Bone
Tallstar (I haven't read his super edition)
Leopardstar
Stoneteller
Brook
Stormfur
Onestar
Tigerheart
Flametail
More characters from DotC (More books that I have yet to read so idk who D: )

~Happy Halloween~

Offline Jilda

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 12:44:01 AM »
@Darkforestwarrior jeez you are so good at matching up the characters it's insane D:

hmmm, I actually really like rock for immortal personally. For Mapleshade... hm. I mean another card I was sorta thinking was mother's love as a lot of her actions were driven by the loss of her kits but Fern and Dust ( who has yet to get a flower ) deserve cards imo D:

We still have quite a bit left to match but I think I'll go look for more flowers. I clearly underestimated how many characters there were deserving of cards lol

Cloudstar appeared largely in Firestar's Quest and SkyClan's Destiny however a part of me is possibly feeling like separation is a better fit for him as much of his grief came from the separation from his mate Birdflight but... argju idk xD

I love Redtail for that one omg

I love all those other ones too

hm... alright I'll go look for more flower meanings, hopefully I can find some that fit them and others as well. And off to edit the list now

edit: realized changeable moods fits Dustpelt really nicely considering his mood or I guess attitude went through a lot of changes with Sandstorm then Firestar and then Ferncloud, and he can also be somewhat moody in general

so yay dustpelt has a card now lol

thank you ss !! <3

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:51:33 AM »
I'm admittedly having way too much fun with this hehehe ;3

Cloudstar for separation sounds really good to me and then leaves a spot for Mosskit to be grief. I like it! And I do think Rock can work for immortal and Mapleshade would be better as deadly foe than motherly love. I quite like Ferncloud for motherly love as Jingle suggested.

Also that one for Dustpelt is very fitting too, good call!

Blanking out on more for now :P

Edit:
columbine // folly -- Might work for Brokenstar actually

~Happy Halloween~

Offline Jilda

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 03:24:30 AM »
alright so that legit took... three hours? But now there are a lot more flowers lol, over 300, so we should have an easier time now finding flowers to match certain cats.

Also added a section for the flower pairings so I can remove them from the actual flower lists and declutter a bit but omg I like need a small break lol I'll probably get to fixing it in a bit.

Also if all the flowers are in any way over whelming, how about we just work on one arc at a time? Like find for all the original arc characters ( which we're actually nearly done there anyways, woo ) and tackle it that way maybe?

@Darkforestwarrior I'm having a ton of fun too

well there's a ton more plants that can mean hatred or villainous or stuff, perhaps one of those could fit Maple a bit better?

and ohhh I like that I think

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17163 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 03:47:24 AM »
So I was thinking and I'm going to do the entire list, , bit by bit...but like.. just who I think they could be and reasons why? There might be more than one character per section, as there are multiple it could fit. You don't have to use any of my suggestions, though! =D I'll spoiler tag it just so it doesn't clog the thread, though...and this will also be multiple posts (not in a row, of course, but once I get done with them.. I'm starting off with the original 85 and working from there.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jilda

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 04:22:42 AM »
whoa! You brought up such interesting points for why certain characters would suit certain things better, I love the interpretations you had for some, like Mapleshade is perfect for pleasure & pain, Onestar for don't change I really like, honestly just about everything I like.

I'm not on my laptop right now but when I do I'll make edits to the list. (: and post my own explanations; it's probably best to post explanations anyway lol. I'm really excited to see what other connections you think up, lightning.

oh and I actually was thinking Strength of Character for Brightheart as well, but at the time thought Bramblestar was a better fit as it was his strength of character that allowed cats to see him as brambleclaw rather than Tigerclaw's son, though I do like Brightheart a bit better and maybe there's another plant better suited for Bramblestar.

For Squirrelflight I never would have thought Mother's Love for her. I chucked her in loyalty as she holds a lot of loyalty to her family and leafpool and stuff of that nature, however I really love mother's love.
The only issue I'd have with it if there was any is that Squirrelflight would be under the new prophecy set and she's not a mother there? unless...

should maybe certain characters get two cards? As maybe they were major characters in two different arcs and they developed and changed so much? idk, just a thought. I was planning to just repeat - like squirrelflight's card would be under both the new prohecy and the power of three for example - but she also is really, really different in both arcs due to development

wow I'm rambling now eep v_v

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Lightning

• lucky gods
  • StarClanner
  • 17163 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • 🌕 I'm the moon!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »
whoa! You brought up such interesting points for why certain characters would suit certain things better, I love the interpretations you had for some, like Mapleshade is perfect for pleasure & pain, Onestar for don't change I really like, honestly just about everything I like.

I'm not on my laptop right now but when I do I'll make edits to the list. (: and post my own explanations; it's probably best to post explanations anyway lol. I'm really excited to see what other connections you think up, lightning.

oh and I actually was thinking Strength of Character for Brightheart as well, but at the time thought Bramblestar was a better fit as it was his strength of character that allowed cats to see him as brambleclaw rather than Tigerclaw's son, though I do like Brightheart a bit better and maybe there's another plant better suited for Bramblestar.

For Squirrelflight I never would have thought Mother's Love for her. I chucked her in loyalty as she holds a lot of loyalty to her family and leafpool and stuff of that nature, however I really love mother's love.
The only issue I'd have with it if there was any is that Squirrelflight would be under the new prophecy set and she's not a mother there? unless...

should maybe certain characters get two cards? As maybe they were major characters in two different arcs and they developed and changed so much? idk, just a thought. I was planning to just repeat - like squirrelflight's card would be under both the new prohecy and the power of three for example - but she also is really, really different in both arcs due to development

wow I'm rambling now eep v_v
Ramble all you want! It's totally cool, and I'm glad you like what I did! It took me quite a few hours just to come up with those alone- it's a lot of work, but it's totally worth it.

For Squirrelflight, we could always put her under different ones- Squirrelpaw and Squirrelflight are hardly the same cat, in terms of personality and actions. A lot of the characters in the series go through so much change and they're never the same cat they were when they were younger, so having them under different ones makes sense.

And now I bring you more flowers! I can't promise all of the cats will be listed- I'm very tired and I might expand on this one once I've gotten more sleep.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jingle

• Long Live the Queen
  • StarClanner
  • 202 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Jingle
  • Out with the old. In with the new.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
Ahh wow everything you all are writing is super interesting (And making me realize I'm super behind on the books 'cause I don't recognize half of these cats)

But yeah I think having a different card for squirrelpaw and squirrelflight would be good :3

I know we already placed Brightheart, but I think "alyssum // worth beyond beauty" would suit her very well? Or possibly also Yellowfang since for some reason I feel like she's described as not being a good-looking cat

And maybe Feathertail would suit "azalea // fragile and ephemeral passion" because her and Crowfeather's romance was cut so short by her death?

"cinquefoil // beloved daughter" Is sounding like Mistystar to me, because iirc Bluestar really regretted giving her up?

ALSO since there are so many flowers now, idk if this is an idea you like, but some of them could maybe be pairs of cats, like to represent their relationship rather than any character themselves? idk though

(click to show/hide)