December 15, 2018, 12:59:48 AM

Author Topic: Anime and Manga  (Read 20804 times)

Offline hyperadam

Re: Anime and Manga
« Reply #405 on: January 21, 2017, 08:14:42 PM »
Well, the anime of JoJo Part 4 wrapped up. It really was pretty great! I didn't expect it to be quite this good before it started airing. I'm really hoping that they'll announce the anime of Vento Aureo pretty soon, because I'm really looking forward to that.
Although Parts 5 and 6 tend to be kind of low on my rankings, meaning with Part 4 done I'm mostly just praying for Steel Ball Run within the next decade, I'm actually kind of interested in the possibility of a Vento Aureo anime. Obviously the issue with Part 5 is the quality of the English translation, so I'm really interested in an opportunity to experience it fresh. I don't know if a new translation will significantly boost my opinion of it, but I've read a lot of interesting commentary on it and there are definitely times when I read it where I was thinking "Man, this would probably be really cool if I could understand what he's trying to say."

Now that I've checked actually, the re-translation effort is a lot further along than I thought it was. I don't know if I'll get around to re-reading it, or will just sit around hoping for an anime to happen.

As for what I'm watching now... I still haven't picked up any shows for this season yet, but I've been planning to start watching the Monogatari series again. After starting it in September and picking it up again during the Christmas break, I've been meaning to continue after finally figuring out which season to watch when, but since most of my free time now is going towards video games I just can't find an opportunity. I was able to finish Nekomonogatari (Black), and I'm definitely looking forward to more Hanekawa. It looks like a Hachikuji-centered arc is coming up too, which great because she's my favourite character.

Also damn, those new chapters of Kaiji...
(click to show/hide)

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Heron

« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »
I read Steel Ball Run (part 7 of JoJo) again every year around my birthday, so I just started for this year. It's still absolutely fantastic. I really love it.

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #407 on: February 28, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
anime is the devils programming
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »
at the convention this year I traded some old volumes of naruto I almost forgot I had for some old volumes of fma. unfortunately the lowest one I got was 4, so I probably won't actually read them until I can start at the beginning...
my crowning achievement though is that I got the 5th volume signed by caitlin glass :D :D :D I actually had kind of forgotten she was winry, since I was there to see her for her other roles, but it was a marvelous coincidence that I had my new fma books on me at the time. so I got it basically for free and already increased its value by like 500% >:3c

I also picked up the first couple durarara light novels, but I'm still very slowly working through the manga, so that might take me a while to start too

Offline Heron

« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »
I finally got around to watching Gurren Lagann, and I just finished the first season. It was pretty decent, but apparently the second half of the series is when it starts to really get good, so I'm looking forward to that.

Also, the trailer for the new Castlevania anime looks really cool. I might have to watch that.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #410 on: May 25, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
APPARENTLY season two of attack on titan is actually a real thing that is existing now lol i don't know what to think because i stopped caring and dropped the manga a long time ago but also i did really like it at the time so like ??? do i want to know where it goes now ??? mysteries

Offline Lightning

• Nothing's fair in Love and War.
  • StarClanner
  • 17203 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Alone
« Reply #411 on: May 25, 2017, 08:04:44 PM »
I finally got around to watching Gurren Lagann, and I just finished the first season. It was pretty decent, but apparently the second half of the series is when it starts to really get good, so I'm looking forward to that.
Can confirm. Been watching this since the original Japanese release, and the second season is even better than the first. That's not saying the first season isn't good, but the second is even better.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
I've been meaning to watch Gurren Lagann for a while. I've also been thinking of trying to get into some mecha series, so I guess I'll get around to that sooner rather than later.

I actually don't have too big of a backlog right now, but I've been spending all of my time working on my video game backlog, ha ha... Case in point, I've been about halfway through the second season of the Monogatari series for months now. Both parts of Nekomonogatari were great, Kabukimonogatari was kinda eh (nowhere near enough Hachikuji), and Otorimonogatari was really good. At first it kind of seemed like they were rehashing parts of Hanekawa's arc with Nadeko, but then it went in a completely different direction in a way that surprised me. I'm actually kind of happy about how it played out, because before this she had easily the least development out of all the girls. Ideally I can get mostly caught up before the new season starts.

Beyond that, I've really enjoyed the last few chapters of JoJolion. I do kind of miss the earlier days back when everything was enjoyably cryptic and every weird reveal just led to even further questions that just kept you guessing, but it is nice that we now have a much more clear path towards how this is going to wrap up. My money is on Kaato as the main villain... her or some higher ranking Rock Human we haven't met yet. I already really like the plant appraiser, very few characters can make such a good first impression. I am kind of upset that we're dealing with everyone running away from a long-range remote stand again, though. It was kind of refreshing at first, but now almost every fight is like that.

Berserk is also on a consistent schedule and the recent chapters have been fantastic, and Hunter x Hunter is apparently coming back next month. Nice.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Heron

« Reply #413 on: June 25, 2017, 12:09:11 AM »
I finished watching Gurren Lagann.
(click to show/hide)

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #414 on: August 01, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »
I watched Gunbuster this past weekend, and it was great. It genuinely gets better with each episode. Like, the first two episodes were kind of eh, the next two episodes were really good, and then the last two episodes were incredible.

My only complaints are that weaker beginning and that they could have set some stuff up more. It's not even like the first episodes aren't as good because they're build up for the fantastic back half, since they really don't feed into each other that much, even as starter episodes they weren't as strong as they could have been. They also could have spent more time setting stuff up and adding more details. It feels like they gloss over a lot of things, especially concerning Gunbuster itself.

Still, despite that the series' high points are just so damn good (like holy mandarin) and it ends on such a satisfying note. I really enjoyed it.

I also really liked their attempts to bring some hard science in to it. I can't exactly vouch for the accuracy of all of it since some of it is either fictional science or outside my expertise, but it all feels real and convincing and they invoke a lot of real concepts. The use of time dilation in particular is accurate and really well integrated into the story.

Since I know Falcom apparently puts a lot of mecha references that go completely over my head into Trails, I'm starting to wonder if Double Buster Cannon is named after Double Buster Collider...

I'm planning on following it up with Diebuster next weekend, and then from there I'll move on to Gurren Lagann at some point. I also eventually need to get around to watching the Kizumonogatari movies.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |

Offline Graystripe

• StarClanner
  • 2120 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Graystripe
  • "Only an honest death will cure you now."
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr account
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #415 on: September 21, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
Did I mention I'm now current with Berserk?  The manga, not the anime.  papaya  this manga is good.

I've also been watching KonoSuba as of late.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

In the spring and summer I've also watched all of the Monogatari series, and I'm absolutely in love with it.  The last couple of seasons were starting to drag a bit after the Sodachi arc, but the ending made up for all of it, it was incredible.  Also, Monogatari Second Season when taken alone might just be in my top three anime of all time; it's that good.
All is silent in the halls of the dead.
All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead.
Behold the stairways which stand in darkness;  behold the rooms of ruin.
These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin,
 and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #416 on: September 23, 2017, 05:44:52 AM »
Is Berserk extremely long? I've heard good thing and wanna check it out, but it would be cool to know what sort of time investment I need to prepare for xD

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline hyperadam

« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
Is Berserk extremely long? I've heard good thing and wanna check it out, but it would be cool to know what sort of time investment I need to prepare for xD
It's not too long, about 39 volumes right now. Berserk has been around for nearly thirty years, but it goes on hiatus a lot so its not hard to get caught up. Definitely read the manga rather than watch the anime, since the manga has incredible art whereas the recent anime series is plagued by really cheap CGI.

I've also been watching KonoSuba as of late.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit!
I love KonoSuba too!

In the spring and summer I've also watched all of the Monogatari series, and I'm absolutely in love with it.  The last couple of seasons were starting to drag a bit after the Sodachi arc, but the ending made up for all of it, it was incredible.  Also, Monogatari Second Season when taken alone might just be in my top three anime of all time; it's that good.
I actually picked up the series around the same time and I really enjoyed it too. I thought the ending was fantastic as well. Apparently the novels continue on, but I honestly thought Owarimonogatari ends on such a perfect note both narratively and thematically that I don't know where you could go from there.

Which arc in Second Season was your favourite? I really liked both parts of Nekomonogatari and the twist in Otorimonogatari, but I think Koimonogatari might be my favourite section of the series.

魔法使いの嫁
| tumblr |