May 24, 2018, 08:10:10 PM

Author Topic: How did you get into Warriors?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline SQ

• boop boop toot toot
  • Leader
  • 1747 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SQ
  • small cat irl
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/they
Re: How did you get into Warriors?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 11:52:51 AM »
I actually started reading them because of my cousin, in like..6th grade... And I accidentally read the third book instead of the first, so it was a huge whirlwind for me and I had no idea what was going on in the books haha.

thank you, secret santa!! :D

Offline sageheart

• buddy i aam afraid
  • Apprentice
  • 1006 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To sageheart
  • absolutely not egg salad
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • my tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them is best
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
I saw a person reading them in English class when I was 11 or 12 and I found out the school library had almost all of them. So I checked them out and fell in love. Now I own all of them, sans the e-books, up to The First Battle. I really wanna catch up, though.

Offline Squirrelypaws

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 07:32:21 PM »
I have always been a cat person, so when I spotted a copy of Into The Wild in the book aisle at Walmart, way back in 2006, I pretty much said "OMGkittybook!mustreadnow!", ran to the checkout to buy it, and was hooked within ten minutes of opening the book. XD I went back to Walmart every day that week, buying the rest of the series.

Fast forward nine years, and I have an entire shelf dedicated to Warriors, complete with a Clan of cat plushies serving as bookends. I'm a bit behind on current releases right now; I haven't read any of DotC, or any of the side books past Bluestar's Prophecy. It's not for lack of interest, though; I want very much to catch up, but I don't have any more shelf space!

Offline Dawnwing

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 05:53:52 PM »
I was at the library when I was 10, and saw Rising Storm on the "New Books" shelf.  I was really into cats at the time and was drawn by the picture in the center, but I thought the big "WARRIORS" logo seemed weird.  I read the description and it also sounded weird - "Fireheart's traitorous enemy Tigerclaw has been vanquished and exiled from ThunderClan" - and I put it back.   When I was checking out something told me to go back and grab it, so I said "wait", ran upstairs, and got it.  Because it was the fourth book I was extremely confused and actually stopped reading it, but I tried again after finishing my other books and got hooked. 

From there I read the first three out of order, and had to wait for an inter-library loan of A Dangerous Path and The Darkest Hour.  I didn't know there was a second series until I went to the bookstore to get Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and I ended up getting both that and Midnight and read them both in a day.  Ever since Moonrise, I've gotten the books as close to the release date as possible. (You guys might remember I got the books early for a few years, but that store has gone out of business and closed now, sadly.)

Offline Meadowbreeze

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »
When I was like 7, I got code of the clans out of the library because my friend really liked the series. I got bored with the book and returned it. 3 years later, some new girls came to the Boys & Girls club reintroduced me. Now that I understood it, I loved it and have read it ever since.

Thanks for the avatar ss!
Thanks for the sig other ss!

May you find a shiny Glaceon in your travels.

Offline Journey

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »
I had had pet cats all my life and was well on my way to becoming a cat lady, even when I was just 11. When I saw Into the Wild in Waldenbooks (RIP), written by someone named Erin Hunter, which I thought was a pretty awesome name at the time, I had to give it a go. Stumbled across the neopets roleplays which eventually led me to ProBoards...then the rest is history!

Can't remember exactly where in the series' progression I got into it. Pretty close to the beginning, as I can remember having to wait for Forest of Secrets to come out xD

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50768 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
I was in fourth grade and I was constantly sad that most books about cats were for even tinier kids... and an acquaintance I sat with was reading Into the Wild and heavily recommended it since I was the resident cat kid.
At the time I might've been what people call catkin now... but I don't really feel that now.

I absolutely absorbed it.

I'm pretty sure The New Prophecy only just started as I finished Darkest Hour... maybe as Moonrise was coming out.

Sixth grade I had my five friends in my playground clan... and we scared the jeebus out of the teachers it was great

Offline Pantherstrike

• ~*~ Official Pearl Fangirl ~*~
  • Warrior
  • 238 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Pantherstrike
  • never made it to 10k posts on v4 rip
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »
One of my friends in sixth grade was obsessed with Warriors and I took and interest in it almost entirely because I liked the covers, ha. So I read the first series and LOVED it, but started TNP and completely hated it for some reason? So I stopped reading, until a year later when Vicky's book tour for The Sight came to town and I was able to go. I picked up The Sight that day and after reading that I went back and read TNP (and didn't hate it that time). The rest...is history....

tumblr / pixel by altias / avatar art courtesy of secret santa

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4987 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
When I was in sixth grade, I had a rather outgoing friend who was friends with another Quiet Kid (TM) like me. One day I saw her reading Rising Storm (I remember the cover, I kind of read a line or two over her shoulder but since I had no context I can't remember what it was at all), and I was just kind of interested in it.

THEN one of the book order sheets (oh man, guys, remember those....... remember...) had Midnight in it, and I was like !!! those were the books (friend) was reading!! And so I ordered it, but my mom was like "um if that's the first book of the second series don't you want the first one?" and so she got me some of the first series! I don't remember how quickly I plowed through them or anything, but Twilight was the book that had most recently come out, I think. I found Ww when I was looking up info about Sunset's release date.
I have all the books in paperback and then Moonlight onwards are in hardcover. So, about that timeframe. Woo!

I started this book series in sixth grade and now I'm a senior in college and I still read them and that's just so weird to believe

Offline Lightning

• I want to Believe
  • StarClanner
  • 17193 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 04:52:15 PM »
Am I seriously the only one that never actually roleplayed Warriors irl..? I didn't have any friends to gossip about this series and now I feel like I missed an important rite of passage. ;.;

I missed out on that too. I started reading the books when I was 13, so I was at an age when none of my friends would be down for that, lol. None of them read it anyways.
I started when I was like.. fourteen or fifteen, so that I totally get. No one else wanted to read the cat books and actually laughed at me for it quite a fair bit. I suspect a couple of my friends know what it is, but don't read it or want to admit they read it.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Jilda

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
I was in the fourth grade and I saw they had the first book of the second series on display in our library - Midnight - and I was like "hey this looks cool" and picked it up and began reading it... only to begin growing very, very, very confused. I proceeded to figure out there was an entire series before this book, put it back, and picked up Into the Wild and started reading from there.

Before Warriors I barely read at all, like I honestly hated reading so much to a point where it was almost ridiculous. However warriors changed that so much for me, and I don't read it as much now a days in favor of other stuff but it definitely kicked me into reading as much as I do now. (((:

thank you ss !! <3

Offline Dustfeather

• (not a feather duster)
  • ShadowClan
  • 46900 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Dustfeather
  • ♫ I fought urlawn and urlawn won~ ♫
  • awards This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ShadowClan!
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
    • Vague as the Shadow
    • Awards
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
Saw various people RPing it on another forum when I was about 11, and thought I'd pick up the first book from the library to see what it was like. A decade later, here I am xD

Thank you, Wolfie!

Offline Leonard

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »
I learnt about Warriors from TvTropes. I read a lot of different trope pages on there and this Warrior Cats series seemed to show up a lot, and every time it did it sounded really cool. I didn't actually check the work page for it, so for some reason I believed that it's about humanoid cats living in the jungle.

Eventually I decided to give the series a try, and I liked it, and I'm still a fan to this day.

Offline Pantherstrike

• ~*~ Official Pearl Fangirl ~*~
  • Warrior
  • 238 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Pantherstrike
  • never made it to 10k posts on v4 rip
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 08:36:40 AM »
I learnt about Warriors from TvTropes. I read a lot of different trope pages on there and this Warrior Cats series seemed to show up a lot, and every time it did it sounded really cool. I didn't actually check the work page for it, so for some reason I believed that it's about humanoid cats living in the jungle.

Eventually I decided to give the series a try, and I liked it, and I'm still a fan to this day.

I was the first troper to start putting Warriors examples on trope pages way back when, it's cool to see that work went a long way!

tumblr / pixel by altias / avatar art courtesy of secret santa

Offline glimmer

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »
my mum bought me into the wild when i was about 7 or 8, because she knew i loved cats. i wasn't a very good reader (skipped paragraphs a lot) but i became hooked anyway and kept asking for the rest. i must've finished the first series around the point when midnight came out because i have the first 6 in paperback but midnight + onwards are hardbacks...

i did a bit of roleplaying with my irl friends but i was the only one who read the books so they weren't that into it, though i did manage to get my friend to read the first two i think? she might still have my copy of fire and ice actually. i should ask for that back

blinkie by moss | pixel & clks by altias
(click to show/hide)