September 25, 2018, 06:56:27 AM

Author Topic: Poor College Kids Club  (Read 37413 times)

Offline Holley

Re: Poor College Kids Club
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:34:31 PM »
I'm starting my 5th year of college next week....I'm a management major and have been almost every major under the sun.... so I'm seasoned and have tons of stories. Some of which I will save until people have started school lol. College really isn't that bad. They tell you the professors wont "hold you hand", so to speak, through the class, but they do your first couple years from my experience, and thats with a couple different schools. Dorm life was really interesting for me, I had many interesting roommates. One of which was dealing and sold to an undercover cop and then got our apartment dorm searched and was arrested in front of me. After two years at one school, I moved home and when to a different school and then moved out last year to an apartment with a roommate who I've known for a long time. It took me a little bit of time to figure out where I belonged, but I found it eventually. 
amberstipe, dustfeather, hperadam

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 07:39:36 PM »
@tinyfeather my school is also huge (not student wise but space wise) so I'm also very nervous. I'm fairly certain I'm going to get lost and they have a really strict absent/late policy so tomorrow I'm going to the campus to scout out stuff.
yeah, my school's campus is 434 acres. awesome.
Oh wow, do you have a bike or car or anything to help you get around?
My school is 800 acres, but that's only because half of it is also a wildlife preserve... It's very eco-friendly, so there's a few acres dedicated to solar power panels that power the school, and then 400 acres of wildlife preservation area.
i actually have a crippling fear of bicycles and car permits are incredibly expensive ($1000) so no lol. but there's a shuttle to help get around.
holy grapefruit. car permits as in the sticker that allows you to park on campus??? is that for all four years or one?? here the sticker/badge that lets you park on campus is $25 a year
that's for one year. i think the $1000 one is for all the garages and being able to park anywhere. it's still ridiculous

Offline Holley

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 07:40:53 PM »
...I will never complain about my $200 parking permit again 

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »
@Scartail i survive because math classes are my favorite kind of class lol. none of my math classes have been particularly difficult and i rly like just doing straight forward things like math and not writing essays.

i don't really end up making friends because i don't talk to people in my classes and i don't have any pressing need to do that. i'm fine just doing everything by myself. and i don't particularly want to make "friends" with my fake small talk/social niceties personality lol

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50780 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 07:44:01 PM »
So hi I'm less educated than most of you, then
I'm a second semester freshman and my favorite grocery store which was the only grocery store within walking distance shut down

where am I supposed to get those oriental ramen packs now............

Also: I still need to get my portfolio review done, but I am trying to become a Communication Design major

Offline fireheart

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
thanks @Scartail ;w; i'm doin my best! i know a lot of people who are close with their teachers, i'm just an anxious dweeb that's too scared to try lmao. i do want to get to know my compsci professors this year though! a lot of the classes tend to be pretty small (ten to thirty usually), apart from the gen ed or intro-level courses. i should really start going to office hours but i don't know what i'd even ask about tbh

also yea $1000 is absolutely absurd, nobody should have to pay that much for a year of parking.

and yea @moss same, i just don't really see the need to make friends at school or in my classes. it's nice to have people to work with for projects, though. i was on good terms with one girl in two of my compsci courses last year, and working with her on projects made life easier, what with the work being split up and all.

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »
@fireheart I'm super anxious when I first meet my teachers too, but eventually once I warm up to someone I can be pretty friendly, so after some sort of icebreaker I'm pretty open c:

@lavender what exactly do you do as a Communications Design major? Is that like commercials and advertisements...? //stupidquestion

@moss my favorite part about math all throughout public school was the lack of essays, I feel ya.

And @cheetah oh my god???? That's awful about the whole roommate thing :c
At least you didn't get in trouble too, though? At my school's orientation they said that if your roommate sold drugs, you could be charged as well...

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
I don't even know how much parking permits are here lmaooo

Anyways, I'm a biology major at UW heading into second year! I'm rly excited to take microbio, but my org chem is gonna be the death of me... I'm super excited for my electives though, being Japanese and fantasy lit. I'm also going to be an orientation leader this semester, so that'll also be rly cool!

I've actually met a few people in my classes, although the majority are people also in the biology program bc we shared all the same classes... I also met a few people in my Japanese classes, and I made pretty good friends with the people who went on my exchange with me. I was rly worried about not making friends but it turned out ok lmao
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Allaire

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 08:19:39 PM »
@Heat [sinlord] is UW Wisconsin or Washington? If it's WI, I go to school in that state, too! Not in Madison, though.

I'm going into my second year as a Musical Theatre and Arts Administration double major. It's my third year of university, though, as I transferred and MT is a very sequenced course of study. I think I'm most excited about taking Women in Theatre this year. I'm also excited to do Acting III Scene Study and sink my teeth into some more meaty roles.

I'm super excited to be moving into the nicest on-campus apartment this semester. Last year, even though I was a transfer student (I lived at home my first year of university), I elected to have the "Freshman experience" and lived in a freshman dorm with an Acting major. We got along fine, but we were two people living in what was supposed to be a single room, and it was TIGHT quarters. I'm looking forward to being able to close my own door and have my own space in this new place I'm living in.

It's always weird energy being in my program. We have a very female-heavy department despite our trying to recruit as many boys as possible. In fact, my entire class is female (we call ourselves the sorority class, or the "sophomorority" now that we're all sophomores). You would think that as a lesbian, I would appreciate that, but to be honest, it's so much estrogen that I'm kind of filled with dread at the thought of going back. Also, it's always strange being the only out gay woman in a department full of gay men and straight women.

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
@Heat [sinlord] I'm a biology minor and during my orientation I discovered that most of the biology kids have a lot of the same classes, too... I guess maybe because it's not a super popular major/minor? For almost all four years of undergraduate school I'm going to have practically the same people in my science classes, so that's kinda nice.

@Allaire I went to a performing arts school for acting/theater so I know what you mean by female-heavy /:
There were only about fifteen guys in a department of 100 theater majors, so it was difficult to cast some of the productions. Hopefully you'll be getting more guys soon, though!
Also good luck with Acting III, that should be super fun c:

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »
@Allaire lmao no I go to uwaterloo, near Toronto. It's one of the best schools in canada for engineering, a faculty I'm conveniently not in

@Scartail i always thought bio was a popular major bc it's so open... At least, that's what it's like here. It's kind of a major for people who like science but aren't sure what they like about it
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
@Heat [sinlord] oh really? Here it's not that popular; most students don't wanna put in the time and effort that a science major requires. Most college students here end up taking English or Literature because they assume it's going to be easy... And by 'here' I mean in southern Florida; I'm not sure what it's like in the rest of America...

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50780 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 08:52:25 PM »
@Scartail no one knows

i'm jk it has to do with like... packaging and branding I guess?

Offline Allaire

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
@Heat [sinlord] I'm from Toronto, so I know exactly where that is! One of my best friends goes to Waterloo. What's your major? She's an Information Technology Management major, I think (she just switched majors this past year, she used to be an Actuarial Sciences major).

Offline Holley