Least favourite Warriors book? (Main arc or Super Edition)
August 17, 2018, 05:00:11 AM

Author Topic: Least favourite Warriors book? (Main arc or Super Edition)  (Read 3871 times)

Offline Lightflame

Least favourite Warriors book? (Main arc or Super Edition)
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
Since we have the favourite character and least favourite character topics already, I might as well make this as a counterpart to the favourite book thread.

I'm limiting it to main books and Super Editions though, because otherwise something like Tigerstar and Sasha or Leafpool's Wish might be every answer. There could always be a "least favourite spinoff book" as well, though.

I have a few I'm not fond of.

I thought the first two books, Into the Wild and Fire and Ice, were really sloppy. Fireheart was overpowered, Brokenstar was a horrible villain who we were told about instead of shown (his only accomplishments were offscreen, and he gets defeated whenever he actually shows up), Tigerclaw's evil was way too obvious, and Graystripe became Jerkstripe after meeting Silverstream. Yellowfang was a good point, at least.

Speaking of Yellowfang, I hated Yellowfang's Secret. Sagewhisker unintentionally came off as a manipulative jerk, none of the side characters had any development, Yellowfang felt nothing like the one we knew from the first arc, and the must unnecessary inclusion of powers ever happened.

I'm also split on Night Whispers, mostly because it was so cramped with five POV characters. I liked some of the events, especially Ivypool's character development, but the Flametail stuff was tedious after his first chapter was over, Lionblaze's relationship drama felt rushed, and StarClan suddenly turned into the bad guys. I don't hate it, but it definitely caused a bunch of problems for Omen of the Stars that the remaining three books had to struggle to fix.

I'm also not too sure about A Forest Divided yet. After how stellar the other Dawn of the Clans were, it was a big letdown, especially with Gray Wing not telling anyone about Slash for absolutely no reason, Clear Sky's plot becoming frustrating instead of interesting, and Slash doing nothing to establish himself as a villain. Plus, I thought Petal's death was unnecessary, and this book had nothing in it to change my mind on that. However, we'll have to see how Path of Stars turns out and if it redeems this book.

Yours?

Offline Frostclaw

Re: Least favourite Warriors book? (Main arc or Super Edition)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
I really didn't like Yellowfang's Secret either. We had already learned all the important parts of her life in The Prophecies Begin, it really felt like the book was just one big reminder that all this stuff happened, with only a few things getting fleshed out. (I slightly remember feeling the same about Bluestar's Prophecy, but it's been long enough since I read that I don't completely remember). At least the other Super Editions added things we never learned about.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:26:34 PM »
um I think the one in the fourth series where they travel to the mountains AGAIN probably. Like I was reading it and I was just like oh my god seriously.....

if i'm right about that. they went to the mountains in oots didn't they

Offline Lightflame

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
um I think the one in the fourth series where they travel to the mountains AGAIN probably. Like I was reading it and I was just like oh my god seriously.....

if i'm right about that. they went to the mountains in oots didn't they

Yep. Book four of arc four. Sign of the Moon.

I suppose to each their own. I liked the character development Jayfeather and Dovewing got in that one, and seeing the Ancients again was nice. Plus, the trip to the mountains (not the actual stay in the mountains) was only one chapter, as opposed to Outcast. (Not that I dislike the longer trip in Outcast.)

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
honestly i didn't remember what happened in the book specifically i'm so bad at remembering things but i don't know what else to answer otherwise haha

Offline Lightflame

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 06:54:49 PM »
honestly i didn't remember what happened in the book specifically i'm so bad at remembering things but i don't know what else to answer otherwise haha

You could always just say Yellowfang's Secret.

You don't need to explain why or even have read the book, you can just say Yellowfang's Secret and we'll believe you and send you sympathy cards.

Alternately, exploit some sort of loophole and pick a Seekers book instead. I mean, nothing happened in the latest one (The Burning Horizon), and I think The Melting Sea had Taqqiq turning evil for the 50th time, terrorists taking over a ski hill, and a car exploding when it crashed into the ditch.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »
I was excited about the prospect of a yellowfang book. I hope it's not TOO bad if I decide to read it :P

basically the first two series are +++nostalgia for me so i don't know if i could pick one to be least favorite and i only really read tpot and oots last year really quickly so i can't tell any of the books apart from each other lol

i'm better at remembering good things...

Offline Ariel

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »
Yeah, Yellowfang's Secret was really disappointing. Sagewhisker is one of two medicine cats I dislike. She manipulated Yellowfang and pretty much straight lied to her. The power thing came out of nowhere and disappeared once it served its purpose. Also, Raggedstar is an abusive jerkwad and is never once called out on it.

And I'm not a big fan of the Tribe books (save for the second series). The books they're in just seem to drag. Granted, I do wonder what happened to them.

Offline broadwaystar

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
ItW, Fire and Ice, and Yellowfang's Secret are the only Warriors books I've read recently, ha.

ItW and Fire and Ice break "show; don't tell" a lot. So much depth could be gained if they just had a few interesting details instead of straight up telling us how the characters are feeling. Studying creative writing is getting to me.

Yellowfang's Secret was a bit disappointing to me in a few regards. Her story went a lot differently than I thought it did. It killed me that no one respected her as a medicine cat throughout the book. Especially considering how Bluestar mentions that her wisdom is respected in ItW. And her romance with Raggedstar was so disappointing. Actually, Raggedstar was just disappointing as a character; he did not live up to his supposed nobility.

Offline Lightning

• Nothing's fair in Love and War.
  • StarClanner
  • 17201 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 08:39:36 PM »
Yeah, Yellowfang's Secret was really disappointing. Sagewhisker is one of two medicine cats I dislike. She manipulated Yellowfang and pretty much straight lied to her. The power thing came out of nowhere and disappeared once it served its purpose. Also, Raggedstar is an abusive jerkwad and is never once called out on it.

This in a nutshell is exactly why I don't like Yellowfang's Secret. She was basically forced to become a medicine cat, and that's a boring thing to read about. If Yellowfang had wanted to become one, that's cool, but she really didn't, and she wanted to be a warrior. >.> She could have very easily controlled her powers (which were kinda tedious and boring and unnecessary) and be a leader/deputy/warrior/ect.

Also the New Prophecy arc bores me to death and I find it really boring, so they're up there on my least favorite list. I also don't like the Prophecies Begin arc, save for Forest of Secrets. Crookedstar's Promise and Bluestar's Prophecy also made me yawn, but that's because I've never quite liked Bluestar or Crookedstar.

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Lightflame

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:56:15 PM »

And I'm not a big fan of the Tribe books (save for the second series). The books they're in just seem to drag. Granted, I do wonder what happened to them.

Sagewhisker is the worst. By manipulating Yellowfang into becoming a medicine cat, she caused practically all of the bad things that happened in the first arc. Otherwise, Yellowfang would have become deputy and wouldn't have had to lie about Brokenstar. Things could have gone so much better.

Offline Lightning

• StarClanner
  • 17201 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »

Sagewhisker is the worst. By manipulating Yellowfang into becoming a medicine cat, she caused practically all of the bad things that happened in the first arc. Otherwise, Yellowfang would have become deputy and wouldn't have had to lie about Brokenstar. Things could have gone so much better.

AU where Yellowfang isn't cat to become a medicine cat, please. This would have probably also made Raggedstar less of an abusive loser, and Brokenstar wouldn't have been that bad, I'd think. He wouldn't have been raised by Lizardstripe, and instead by his mother, who would have actually cared about him.

Offline sageheart

• buddy i aam afraid
  • Apprentice
  • 1006 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To sageheart
  • absolutely not egg salad
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • my tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them is best
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 11:01:11 PM »
I also really disliked Yellowfang's Secret, but everyone beat me to it on the reasoning!
However, my least favorite Super Edition is Bramblestar's Storm. Maybe if I reread it, I'll like it more, but it really quashed my interest in Warriors as a whole for months because of how disappointing it was to me. Brambleclaw was, until that point, my all-time favorite Warriors character. I was happy with the kind of character he became by the end of the series. I was glad for his development by The Last Hope, and he really earned his spot as leader.
But he has not one, but two wacky relationship developments in that book. The first comes with Jessy, who is otherwise a pretty okay character, and I have no ill will towards her, just the really forced nature of her "i could love you" relationship with Bramblestar, which is kinda weird. The other thing is that he apparently has to get back with Squirrelflight? for some reason? like because they're the parents of Lion/Holly/Jay, they have to be in a relationship. They can't just be separated and on good terms. it actually happens sometimes, ya know? it just bugs me that they felt they needed to hammer in their rekindling romance after all their time apart and coming to terms with everything.
...i just basically disliked Bramblestar's Storm because i didn't want to read a love triangle and that's what about 50% of the book seemed to dwell on.

Offline Lightning

• StarClanner
  • 17201 prey points
  • View Inventory
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 11:58:43 PM »
I also really disliked Yellowfang's Secret, but everyone beat me to it on the reasoning!
However, my least favorite Super Edition is Bramblestar's Storm. Maybe if I reread it, I'll like it more, but it really quashed my interest in Warriors as a whole for months because of how disappointing it was to me. Brambleclaw was, until that point, my all-time favorite Warriors character. I was happy with the kind of character he became by the end of the series. I was glad for his development by The Last Hope, and he really earned his spot as leader.
But he has not one, but two wacky relationship developments in that book. The first comes with Jessy, who is otherwise a pretty okay character, and I have no ill will towards her, just the really forced nature of her "i could love you" relationship with Bramblestar, which is kinda weird. The other thing is that he apparently has to get back with Squirrelflight? for some reason? like because they're the parents of Lion/Holly/Jay, they have to be in a relationship. They can't just be separated and on good terms. it actually happens sometimes, ya know? it just bugs me that they felt they needed to hammer in their rekindling romance after all their time apart and coming to terms with everything.
...i just basically disliked Bramblestar's Storm because i didn't want to read a love triangle and that's what about 50% of the book seemed to dwell on.
Yeah, I agree with that one... It was kinda boring to read about Bramblestar's dwelling feelings for Squirrelflight and the apparently new feelings he (could have) had for Jessy. Jessy herself was a good character, and I think she had so much potential, but it really felt like she was added for the sake of forcing Bramblestar back with Squirrelflight, and that's just a really bad way of looking at it. I mean, she, Minty, and Stormcloud were pretty decent characters, and I like how Stormcloud chose to stay in ThunderClan instead of going home (I think I might like him later down the road, once we see more of him), and I was hoping Jessy would do the same...but damn, not everything's about romance and sometimes two people just aren't meant to be together, even if they've had kids.

People moving on from past relationships but staying friends for the sake of the children happens a lot in real life (happened to my mother and father), so I'm not sure why it wouldn't have been okay to include it in Bramblestar's Storm and have a fresh start with a new mate, or not even one at all. He might have history with Squirrelflight, but there was also a lot of bad history which included her lying to him...which is all swept under the carpet for the sake of "family".

Offline fireheart

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:00 AM »
I'm waaay behind on the books (I've only just started reading Thunder Rising... oops orz) but I remember being really disappointed in the entire fourth arc, if that counts haha. I liked Dovewing and Ivypool as apprentices, but I wasn't a fan of Dovepaw's literal superpowers, and the plotline in The Fourth Apprentice with the beavers was really off-putting, for some reason.

It also just so happened that by the time the fourth arc started coming out, my interest in warriors was waning, so reading those books felt more like a chore. A lot of the plot elements of the fourth arc really broke my suspension of disbelief as well, so it was hard to get invested in anything that was happening.