September 20, 2018, 05:32:40 PM

Author Topic: Golden's Quest for Artistic Adequacy  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Golden

Golden's Quest for Artistic Adequacy
« on: September 18, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
Hello! For those of you that don't know me very well, I'm Golden and I like art. I also like being exceedingly long-winded, so forgive me if this gets rather lengthy.
So I like art! Art is fun! I've been drawing since I was a kid and actually won first place in acrylic paintings at the state Latin Convention this past spring. I also did my Latin Club's t-shirt design last year because lingua latina est vita, caniculae! *ahem* Basically people have often told me I'm pretty good at art.
I don't listen to those people.
Which brings me to the purpose of this thread: actually get good at art. I have this thing where around once or twice a year I go through a bit of an art phase and just draw constantly and spend hours trying to learn how to improve. But I've never been able to keep that going for very long before I go "ehh art's overrated" and go back to playing video games or something. Video games are also fun. Anyway, in attempt to force myself to stay in "art mode" for longer so I can actually improve, I decided to make this and dedicate myself to drawing stuff every day (or close to every day) and putting it on the internet where people can berate me if I stop.
So here's the deal: I post what I draw every day and... okay, that's pretty much the entirety of it. I'm just going to draw until I feel I've become good at art which, given my perfectionism, is exactly never. Hey, more art for you guys!
I tend to draw people and horses so you'll probably see a lot of people and horses until I learn to branch out more. I don't tend to be much of a fanart person, but I do have a few projects in mind that I've been wanting to do for a while but never felt like I had the skill necessary. One is a comic version of the Aeneid because, as I already established, I am a giant Latin nerd and the Aeneid is rife with comedic potential. Like Pimp Juno. The other is the result of merging my two biggest video game obsessions together because video games are fun. Those two would be Persona and Suikoden. Never heard of the second one? Yeah, kinda expected as much. Neither has my browser's spell-check. It's a very good (if kinda old) JRPG series and you should play them. But if you know anything about Persona you probably know about its use of Tarot motifs, and if you know anything about Suikoden you probably know that each of the five main game has over a hundred characters. A full Tarot deck is 78 cards. I think you see what I'm getting at. I even have 30+ characters left over! :D
That's all just random ideas for now though. We'll see how up for them I am later down the line.

I can't think of any more blabbering I have to do so I'm just going to start posting art before I do think of something to blabber about.

Note: I work on a reeeeeally large scale most of the time, so these pictures have been shrunk a bunch and had the content rearranged a bit to fit better. Nothing has been removed other than color swatches.
I also have terrible handwriting and swear a ton so, y'know, watch out for that.

Day 1: September 15th
(click to show/hide)

Day 2: September 18th
(click to show/hide)

Yeah.
ART.

So the real take-away here is 1) play Suikoden, and 2) don't let Golden post stuff after midnight.
Word to live by right there.

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/Her
Re: Golden's Quest for Artistic Adequacy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 08:03:39 PM »
Wow, you are super good at accurate anatomy!

Your sketches are beautiful <3

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »
I share your hand frustration D':
wtf though your art is already more than adequate, I think it is quite good x3
Good on you for pushing to get even better :D

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Golden

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »
Aw, thank you guys! :3
During an art phase last year I got kind of obsessed with learning correct anatomy but I lost interest before I learned everything. So my knowledge of upper torso/shoulders/upper arms is pretty decent but I still need to work on a lot of other stuff.

Day 3: September 19th
(click to show/hide)

I'm going to an international riding competition tomorrow, so expect lots of horses in the near future.
Also, likely no art tomorrow and maybe not the next few days since I have an essay due Tuesday night. Alternatively, more art because procrastination. We'll see.

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »
The hands are so detailed and pretty... I don't know much about art but even though they're just hands they're so nice to look at *o*

Also, have fun at the competition! I'm looking forward to seeing more horse sketches from you!

Offline Golden

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
Haven't drawn anything the past two days, but I do have something I drew on my tablet (the non-Wacom kind) on the train to the competition (which was AWESOME)

Day 4: September 20th
(click to show/hide)

Tablet are really annoying to draw on even with a stylus.
Also the contrast looks way better on the actual tablet.
(click to show/hide)

I swear I'll stop with the severed hands one of these days

Offline Tom

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 02:19:34 PM »
Woah 

No need to stop with the severed hands! The detail in them is amazing, they're oddly captivating. xD

I love the idea of this thread. Although I already feel like you're heaps good at art.  :P

thanks vegas for the avatar, moss for the blinkie & darksight for the signature

Quote from: Darkstar
i actually happen to love a good fruitcake

Offline Golden

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 03:10:52 PM »
Thanks! :)

I swear I haven't forgotten about this! The past week has just been kinda rough and I haven't been up for too much drawing. But yesterday I had my museums class and spent the entire time doodling, so I'll post that because why not?

Day 5: September 29th
(click to show/hide)
Fewer hands and more drapery and armor this time. And lots of stuff scribbled out.
Also a better demonstration of the terribleness of my handwriting.

Probably no more art from me today because I'm currently using my tablet's USB cable to charge my graphing calculator.
I'm not even taking a math or science class, I just feel incomplete without my graphing calculator.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Wow those outfits are so cool *O*

Offline Golden

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
Okay, two and a half weeks later...

I have an excuse, kind of! I've been sketching in my sketchbook quite a bit recently but my phone essentially died last weekend so I couldn't take pictures. I got my new phone today though and the camera is so much better than my old phone's, so I may post pictures of those later.

In any case, here's what I've been doing for the past hour and a half or so.
(click to show/hide)
WIP as the stick figure arm and random squiggles suggest. I'm going to try to turn it into a full painting, so we'll see how that goes.

I should go to bed.

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
This reminds me so much of a water bender or fire bender using lightning, it's already beautiful <3

Offline Golden

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 08:31:43 PM »
Day 2 of Project 1
(click to show/hide)
Still very rough but guys, I can art! :D
I am honestly impressed with just how fast I've progressed since starting this "quest" thing.
Also adjustment layers are the best invention ever.

Offline Golden

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
Day 3 of Project 1
(click to show/hide)

Not too much progress since I haven't worked on it much. I had issues with the driver for my tablet and had to re-download and install it, which was annoying.
I changed the water spout because it looked kind of boring before and flipped the image. I flip images a lot so I don't know what side it'll end up as. Beyond that, mostly starting to clean up the figure.
Left edge looks kind of barren right now, but I have plans for it, fear not!

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »
Wow, that is LOVELY! Can't wait to see all your progress on it ;u;

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »
It's still so beautiful, and also really soothing??? I love it, I can't wait to see the finished product!