December 13, 2018, 12:41:35 AM

Author Topic: A 'Journals' board O: ?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline rowan

• Oel-cir'va of the Folk
  • ThunderClan
  • 6304 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To rowan
  • eater of leafs
  • awards This mini-feather is presented to those who have or have had a character with a high rank! This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ThunderClan!
  • Referrals: 61
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart!
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Mood: Fruity
A 'Journals' board O: ?
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:47:43 PM »
I know I suggested this in the Skype chat, but I wanted to put it here in case people wanted to weigh in here!!

I propose we have a Journals section, maybe under Advice & Life. Each user can make one 'Journal' topic and use it how they'd like - you could have the first post as a 'directory', then a few posts for things like friends lists, shops the person owns, 'Music of the Day' links for people who do those.... etc... and then the person can post a daily journal entry. I say 'daily' but mean it in a once-in-24-hours-to-prevent-spamming sense. The journal entries can be as extensive the user wants, and it can be about anything from Warriors to schoolwork to hobbies to fiction, or whatever.

I just think this'd be a fun way for the community to introduce themselves more thoroughly and talk about their lives! By posting about yourself on your journal thread, people can get a better idea of who you are, or just see what's happening at the moment. A good place for a daily check-in!

Anyway, I might have went on a bit of a tangent. Let me know what you all think!
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline Arcade Heat

Re: A 'Journals' board O: ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »
Kind of like a "meet the members" type of thing? I love it!

I'd probably recommend it not contributing to post count? that way it's not really detrimental to others if its spammed
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Lightning

• Nothing's fair in Love and War.
  • StarClanner
  • 17203 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Lightning
  • La question c'est voulez-vous?
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: They/He/She
  • Mood: Alone
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:38:46 PM »
If there was a way to implement a blog feature or something like that, as some places have, I'd even be up for that... but I don't think most forums have those kinds of things... a "journal" wouldn't be too bad of an idea.. although tbh the general chat thread counts for postcount, and that can get kinda spammish sometimes. lol

The game is on again- a lover or a friend?
A big thing or a small, the winner takes it all.

Offline Graystripe

• StarClanner
  • 2120 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Graystripe
  • "Only an honest death will cure you now."
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr account
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »
I really like this idea.  I have a lot of things I could do with it.
All is silent in the halls of the dead.
All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead.
Behold the stairways which stand in darkness;  behold the rooms of ruin.
These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin,
 and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.

Offline rowan

• Oel-cir'va of the Folk
  • ThunderClan
  • 6304 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To rowan
  • eater of leafs
  • awards This mini-feather is presented to those who have or have had a character with a high rank! This mini-feather is for your allegiance to ThunderClan!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »
I'm glad you all like it!!!

I'd also suggest removing a postcount in case it gets spammy, but I think with the one-post-a-day limit (outside of the initial setup) it could probably go without, but I dunno! Whatever works best.

If there was a way to implement a blog feature or something like that, as some places have, I'd even be up for that... but I don't think most forums have those kinds of things... a "journal" wouldn't be too bad of an idea.. although tbh the general chat thread counts for postcount, and that can get kinda spammish sometimes. lol

The closest I can think of (and that I suggested!) is through separate threads (one per member) with a post setup, kinda like my journal on another site. (pretty sure nonmembers can see that but lmk if not!)

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:39:56 PM »
although tbh the general chat thread counts for postcount, and that can get kinda spammish sometimes. lol

source??
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Tom

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
although tbh the general chat thread counts for postcount, and that can get kinda spammish sometimes. lol [citation needed]

source??

Fixed

I'm a heaps private person, but honestly I feel like between the GCT, what happened to you today thread, the A&L thread, etc., etc. there's plenty of places for journal-esque discussions.

But I can definitely see the difference and it sounds like an interesting idea! I'm not interested personally but good luck with the petition! :)

thanks vegas for the avatar, moss for the blinkie & darksight for the signature

Quote from: Darkstar
i actually happen to love a good fruitcake

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:56 AM »
I think this is a great idea, it's really creative, though I don't see the need for a separate board for it? This seems like you could just start a journal thread in A&L and just update it however often (just need rules for how often is ok to post, assuming double posting would be OK which, in a case like this I don't see why not, the one post a day rule would probably be good.)

I mean as is, the A&L board hardly has anything anyways so this would be a good extra use for it imo :3

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Graystripe

• StarClanner
  • 2120 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Graystripe
  • "Only an honest death will cure you now."
    • View Profile
    • My tumblr account
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 09:29:32 AM »
Would other people be able to comment on the journal threads?
All is silent in the halls of the dead.
All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead.
Behold the stairways which stand in darkness;  behold the rooms of ruin.
These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin,
 and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »
It could be up to the person whether they wanted people to be able to I guess. Since on this forum members can lock threads they've started if someone didn't want comments they could just lock it.

Offline rowan

• Oel-cir'va of the Folk
  • ThunderClan
  • 6304 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To rowan
  • eater of leafs
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 12:47:27 PM »
I think this is a great idea, it's really creative, though I don't see the need for a separate board for it? This seems like you could just start a journal thread in A&L and just update it however often (just need rules for how often is ok to post, assuming double posting would be OK which, in a case like this I don't see why not, the one post a day rule would probably be good.)

I mean as is, the A&L board hardly has anything anyways so this would be a good extra use for it imo :3

You're right O: I just suggested an extra board for the organizational benefit of it, y'know? That way it won't clog the board too much.

And yeah, the journals would be an exception to the doubleposting rule, imo - especially if people don't want others to comment on their journals. That's kind why I wanted to implement that post-a-day rule - that way the doubleposting isn't exploited as a way to just spam and get posts without having to worry about rules, y'know?