September 26, 2018, 09:53:26 AM

Author Topic: Vegas's Art Portfolio  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Vegas

Re: Vegas's Art Portfolio
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »
(click to show/hide)
<screeching>
This turned out soooooooo good! You did a good job on the background and it looks like real plastic! I love it so much and I'm really amazed by it! I'm sure your coworker's girlfriend will simply love and adore it. <3

Thank you! It was a real pain but it's nice to know that it looks like actual plastic lol
As far as his girlfriend loving it, I have not had her approach me about it so I'm like ???
As far as I know, it was supposed to be a gift he intended to give her asap since their anniversary was like a month or so ago. I saw him put it in her locker and he wrote a note for her on the envelope and she was supposed to open it that night. But she apparently didn't and he said she'd probably open it later that night. The next time I saw her though, she didn't mention anything about it so I'm not sure if he decided to wait or she opened it and forgot to tell me or whatever. Oh well! I suppose I don't need her to stroke my ego with how much she enjoys it but it would be nice to know if she liked it or not.
(click to show/hide)

My Aesthetic Dealer is Altias
My Sugar Mentor is Lavender
Ww's sexy little secret hunchback is
Tomme

Offline Vegas

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 02:43:19 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Unfortunately my phone has been acting up so I'll have to wait to upload the traditional work I've been working on. In the meantime, this is the most recent digital piece I've completed. I decided to experiment with my workflow and try using flat colors for the base and then adding painterly layers on top. I really like how it turned out! The blending brushes I used seemed to work really well too. Also, I figured out how to add noise in Corel Painter and that gives a nice effect to this piece.
As far as improvements, I think while I improved on skin textures and such, the fur and hair need more work. The hair is lazily painted just so I could get an idea of what hair color I wanted for her. I like this short style but I'm gonna try a long style soon to compare my options before I make her final design. I need to look at more fur tutorials as well, since it's so time-consuming and I want to be happy with the results.
All in all though, I'm pleased with how it turned out and I will definitely be implementing what I learned into more digital pieces.
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline Vegas

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »

Wow I haven't posted anything here since last month. I've been in a small art slump and dissatisfied with my work as of lately but I don't think that's a reasonable enough excuse to not post progress. I mean, crappy work is neccessary so I can make better work but oh man... anyway, I figured I dump some of my recent work here. Sorry about crappy photo quality but my phone is acting up and my old camera was all that I could manage. This is all my recent traditional work. I left the acrylic painting I have in the works out because it looks pretty gosh darn ugly at the moment and I'm still prideful about my work so yeah. I'll post it eventually. Just not today.

(click to show/hide)

I had a lot of fun with this one. Stippling is really time-consuming but also very relaxing to me. I absolutely love gray paper and I think I got the work method I wanted to achieve down. I used a combo of black pitt pens and white gel pens and gray markers. The only thing I wish I could fix is how dark the right eye socket is but oh well~

(click to show/hide)

It's relaxing to draw animal portraits and I really like the tough looking doberman so I thought I'd give it a whirl using soft and hard pastels. Had a lot of fun doing this one as well but the camera kinda washed him out. I think it looks better in person.

(click to show/hide)

I made this after the doberman, still on my pastel streak. I spent so much time on the proportions and it still doesn't look right ugh. However, as much as a challenge as the skin was, I think I got pretty close to getting it down.
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline Vegas

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 01:28:43 PM »
Along with my traditional work, I have been attempting some new stuff digitally. After the last portrait I posted last month, I was frustrated with how my digital works were turning out. I wanted to step up my game digitally and what I was doing on my own was fine but I really wanted to bring it to the next level, on par with professional digital artists. Ya know, nicely rendered, very smooth and supple skin and rich coloring that's like dang, I want a poster of that. I want to be on that level. But I quickly realized that my lack of access to better tools might be holding me back. That last portrait was done entirely in Corel Painter. It's nice but it didn't feel like it had that wow factor to me. That's when I stumbled across gradient color mapping. I found some good tutorials on it and basically you render an image in greyscale first, then add a hint of color to the greyscale (like, blue-ish grayscale for instance), and then add color on top and the values of the grayscale really add an extra dimension to the final colors. So here are my results:

(click to show/hide)

I started a portrait after I finished the one from last month in the same method I had been using before. After I stumbled across gradient map coloring, I gave up on this so it's an abandoned WIP. I leave this here for reference.

(click to show/hide)

This is the image I rendered in greyscale in Corel Painter first.

(click to show/hide)

And the final outcome using gradient mapping and other effects in photoshop to make it look better.

This has been a big learning experience for me so far. I still really have no idea how to use photoshop at the moment and it probably shows... However, I'm satisfied with how her skin turned out in this piece. I think it's a good first attempt.
But I can't disguise my frustration with how everything else looks. Hair, clothing and accessories still kick my coconut and I need to spend more time working on them. So in those areas I can improve.
In the future pieces I'm going to spend more time with the line-art so I can easily block in color layers and not have to spend so much time quick masking everything.
Also, it might help to use better reference images as it heavily affects the final outcome, in my case. The reference picture I chose was overly saturated on purpose and looked to be heavily tweaked in photoshop to give better lighting than the original photo. It doesn't look that great and with me relying so heavily on pictures to get my range of values, it decreases the quality. But I liked her face so whatever~
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
Your art continues to wow me every single time. Like wow!! It's all so good?

Even the art you post that you say you think you didn't do so good on I think they are all freaking incredible.

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Vegas

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »

Even the art you post that you say you think you didn't do so good on I think they are all freaking incredible.

Aww! Thank you DFW you're always so sweet and supportive, I appreciate it!!
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »

Aww! Thank you DFW you're always so sweet and supportive, I appreciate it!!
No problem!! I strongly believe in encouraging artists and you certainly deserve it :3

~Happy Halloween~

Offline Vegas

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
(click to show/hide)

My attempt with flat colors and line-art. This goes against the grain of what I normally do and was a challenge to resist shading. But I can appreciate the simplicity of a limited color scheme and letting the line-work shine through.
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline Vegas

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I can't remember the Instagram model this is but they are really lovely and I decided to draw em.

P.S. I REALLY need to stick inside the line-art for coloring hair
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline Vegas

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2016, 05:02:29 PM »

Haven't updated this thread in awhile so here's some traditional stuff I've been working on. These are done with a mixture of markers, pens and colored pencils.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline Vegas

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »
More traditional stuff I've gotten done recently~

(click to show/hide)

So I abandoned this sketch awhile back after I finished inking it. I loved it as a sketch but now.. eh... I might work on it later on but for now I just made it look cool with photo editing

(click to show/hide)

I found a cute picture of this ocelot going blep and then after me going nuts with my gel pens, it turned into a space vibe thing?? I guess he blep at the stars
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline lavender

• BloodClan
  • StarClanner
  • 50780 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To lavender
  • vagabond
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her/they
  • Mood: Fruity
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 10:47:52 PM »
You are so constantly amazing in everything you do
it looks so great ;v;

Offline Vegas

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
You are so constantly amazing in everything you do
it looks so great ;v;

(click to show/hide)

Tomme

Offline Vegas

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:27 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I just bought a scanner and decided to play around with it by scanning some stuff I've been working on. First off, how do dragons even work? I struggled so much and modeled this guy after a Komodo dragon. I just gotta get around to finishing this guy but school, work, and personal mandarin have kept me very occupied lately. I'll most likely work on the Fox after I finish the dragon as they're in the same series as the Dragon (limited palette, traditional busts/portrait) I'm trying to build up a makeshift portfolio showing all the different creatures I can render and I'm starting off with the most popular species.

As for the Hyena, she's a new OC that is still in the works. Originally she was gonna be a sidekick to another OC I'm concocting but I've been relating to her personality so much lately that I find myself focusing on her right now. If you're curious, she's just been punched in the nose and is about to kick somebody's ass lmao
(click to show/hide)

Tomme

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »
Personally I find the key to a good dragon is to just shove as many spikes on it as physically possible. At least that's what other people seem to do, idk :D

Yours looks pretty great so far though!

~Happy Halloween~