July 15, 2019, 11:25:57 PM

Author Topic: spring cleaning  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Sunneth

• a wet RiverClan cat
  • Leader
  • 4987 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Sunneth
  • is not prone to divide by zero
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
    • hyperresonate@tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/her
spring cleaning
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:23:22 AM »
guess who's back BACK BACK
back again GAIN GAIN
i know it's not spring but work with me here

me!!!! me it's me i'm back!!! so last semester was a whirlwind of Heck and then I was gone for a month studying abroad, so things I was working on kind of just. stopped. and a lot of ww fell into despair without me. the worst tragedy we've ever known

anyway, so I'm back, so let's talk about things to do again!!! post suggestions and help me catch up on things that got forgotten! :D

- finish up october leaderboard
- referral thread caught up!
- check up on 100-theme challenge (verify current entries, prizes...)
- skin checkups

I swear this list was going to be longer up until I started writing it. uh.

re: Clan leaderboards
imo needs a serious overhaul. points are almost entirely used up, the sniping only at the end of the month is a problem that needs fixing, months are too long for one competition and yet once a month is too often for the rate things are going at...
ideas? frequency and length of competitions?

re: Clans in general
unbalanced!! I don't like making people be in a certain clan just because one they liked better was closed; how do other people feel about that? should we remove people for inactivity, like for every couple of months wipe the slate clean? are clan leaders still going to be a thing?
if we did any competitions where size really mattered, smaller clans could team up, y/n?

please feel free to post any thoughts!! I'm all graduated now so I have lots of time I want to pour into Ww again :O

Offline Darkforestwarrior

Re: spring cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:08:37 AM »
So I've thought about the imbalance of clan competitions and I have something of an idea to help balance them, basically something to this effect:

-The only members of a clan who can earn points are members of an elected "point earning" group. This would be equal to the number of point earners for the smallest clan, so the actual size of the clan wouldn't matter and inactive members wouldn't have to be cleared out of groups (let's face it, it would kind of suck to one day decide to come back to this site and see you've been removed from the clan you were in?). Essentially the point earners are that group's warriors. These should be rotated however often so everyone gets a chance to compete if they want
-There needs to be a limit on how many times a day one can post in order to earn points. This would help kill the whole sniping aspect of the game, I'm not sure how much but it would help at least some.
-There should also probably be some more meaningful ways to earn points. I'm a little stumped on this but if we could have contests of some sort for point prizes that would probably be good. Also we could bring the roleplay aspect into this too if we want which I personally think could be neat.

Basically my solution is to make it so only a limited number of people in a clan at a time can compete, make that pool of competing people rotate, and add other means of point earning, and clan balance should be a lot better (theoretically lol)

I would also really love for actual clan leaders/ranks to be a thing! It would also be really cool to do cross clan events like meetings sometimes, where the leader could talk and such and the rest of the clans can just hang out? It would have a bit of a roleplay aspect to it I guess but I think that would be really cool.

edit: to add to your list, maybe some medicine cat challenges that are a bit different than the ones we've had before? I know there was a thread about that on here before but a lot of those have had to do with filming oneself and spending money and they aren't always very accessible for some, alternate types of medicine cat quests would be nice

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:28:56 PM »
I'm riverclan leader

I just let fireheart think that they are

edit: I had something important to say but I forget what it was so it'll have to wait
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:44:37 PM »
a few months ago I looked more thoroughly at usergroup activity levels, and while the raw numbers are outdated now, the important part was that even though the member count for most of the groups was roughly even, the number of active members in each group ranged from like... 3 to 12. so I like the idea of capping the "warriors" instead of group totals, since the group totals don't reflect participation. I'm worried that might end up with a very low cap, though, and everyone in the small groups needing to participate constantly while bigger groups have members racking up points/etc for as soon as they rotate back in... but idk maybe there's no way around that

I still think it would be good to kick out inactive members every now and then to clean things up. there are plenty of people who joined groups, never really posted, and then completely disappeared, so if they're not participating at all I don't think it's unfair to remove them. if they do come back later they can probably just rejoin, no harm done

imo the best way to gauge how many people are going to actually contribute in an event (big events, not ongoing ones) would be activity checks where everyone posts to confirm that they'll be around. then if the numbers are still uneven groups could be shoved together to make teams more fair (plus combining groups means you get to work with different people every time!)

other things:
- I think we should just go ahead with leader "elections" (at least in the big groups), waiting for all the groups to max could take forever

- agreed that a daily post limit for the clan competition might help. if we're going to keep those going I feel like we need more of those periodic contests (quizzes, scavenger hunts, etc.), it's just that someone has to put them together... also on that front I think the option to buy freshkill with pp should probably be limited? past winners have so much pp now that they could easily buy the competition

- also as a potential way to earn things... @shadeflight and I have actually put together a rough "battle association" system that's probably nearly ready to go public?? if the mods are okay with that and other people still want to do it?

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »
some sort of battle association would be great!

~Happy Halloween~

Offline moss

• StarClanner
  • 890 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To moss
  • i would not give up my cabbages for an empire
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: they/them
  • Mood: Satisfied
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
personally since it has been shown there's a bunch of issues with the monthly clan competition format and it might make it a bit complicated if we tried to fix that (like too many extra procedures) i wouldn't really miss it if we stopped like... i think it would be more fun to have the focus more on activities/contests/tcg/etc. itself than a monthly leaderboard. we could have a general overall clan leaderboard without the leaderboard itself being the competition. so it could just keep track of who all has done/completed/won what split up into the clans for fun.

as for clans, regulating sizes should be based on active members, though i don't know if that means inactive accounts need to be kicked out, although it might not make a difference for accounts with 0 posts that never came back on after they registered.

clan ranks would be fun. and they could come into play somehow with like clan based activities. and yeah if there are unbalanced clans for these having them team up is a good solution.

Offline Spellmaster

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
a general leaderboard sounds good to me... lapses in activity wouldn't cause as many problems, and we could still use some of the old point systems (feathers and cards and stuff) if the other contests aren't enough
are we become hogwarts houses yet
either way I think it would be nice to focus on other events, it's just a matter of setting them up, because the mods are probably too busy to handle all of that all the time. what if we offered prizes for creating contests as well as winning them? or maybe have a series of events where each usergroup plans some sort of activity (quiz, scavenger hunt, etc.) for the other clans to participate in?

tho with how dead things have been recently I'm not sure what's feasible or what people want anymore :( we had the same concerns about the cba stuff, but we figured the worst that can happen there is nothing, so... I think the last two things to be set are the name, and what to do about prizes (its own point system, or just pp rewards, or...?). once those are decided the outline we've drawn up could be posted for everyone to consider/and or ignore

Offline Holley

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »
Something to get activity back up. Also, make Tom poor
amberstipe, dustfeather, hperadam

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
you should give me back all my pp

Offline SQ

• boop boop toot toot
  • Leader
  • 1747 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SQ
  • small cat irl
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »
I could give you 1 Pp.

Battles association sounds fun @Spellmaster ! Maybe you could PM me what you've got so I can read it over?

thank you, secret santa!! :D

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »
I mean I had like 30000 or so but i guess that would do

for now

Offline Heron

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 03:33:01 PM »
I think that something I'd personally really like to see is some way to get prey points moving again. I feel like most people are just saving them up right now, and no one's really spending any. I don't have any good ideas on how to get things going again, but it'd be nice to see if anyone else had any ideas.

Offline Holley

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »
to fix the saving the pp thing, the interest rate needs to be lowered, but a ton. Ww Economics! People will put all their pp in the bank because they are making too much in interest. By having these high numbers it discourages spending because the higher the number of pp in the bank, the more they earn each day. If you don't have people spending it, your economy stalls to a standstill...RECESSION!!

Also, I think I would be really nice if the mods were to post more and interact with us more. The only interactions we get are when yall are locking our threads :( We miss you guys!
amberstipe, dustfeather, hperadam

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 09:34:39 PM »
to fix the saving the pp thing, the interest rate needs to be lowered, but a ton. Ww Economics! People will put all their pp in the bank because they are making too much in interest. By having these high numbers it discourages spending because the higher the number of pp in the bank, the more they earn each day. If you don't have people spending it, your economy stalls to a standstill...RECESSION!!

Also, I think I would be really nice if the mods were to post more and interact with us more. The only interactions we get are when yall are locking our threads :( We miss you guys!

I agree, the interest rate is way too high. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing interest go away completely, is there really any reason to need to hoard it at this point? If we had anything to spend it on maybe a very very LOW interest rate if anything

BTW, are we ever going to make The Darkest Half Hour happen? It was getting so much attention then it fizzled out :C And we need to do another read aloud at some point too :D

~Happy Halloween~

Offline shadeflight

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 10:26:42 PM »
Quote from: Darkforestwarrior
-The only members of a clan who can earn points are members of an elected "point earning" group. This would be equal to the number of point earners for the smallest clan, so the actual size of the clan wouldn't matter and inactive members wouldn't have to be cleared out of groups (let's face it, it would kind of suck to one day decide to come back to this site and see you've been removed from the clan you were in?). Essentially the point earners are that group's warriors. These should be rotated however often so everyone gets a chance to compete if they want
-There needs to be a limit on how many times a day one can post in order to earn points. This would help kill the whole sniping aspect of the game, I'm not sure how much but it would help at least some.
-There should also probably be some more meaningful ways to earn points. I'm a little stumped on this but if we could have contests of some sort for point prizes that would probably be good. Also we could bring the roleplay aspect into this too if we want which I personally think could be neat.
i agree with most of these ideas! an elected group of clan members would also make it feel like an actual warrior clan, which could give a good reputation for ww considering we're a warriors community.
i'm not so sure about limiting earning points in a day's time though... i mean, we could easily resolve that by finally limiting games board from granting pp to posts if there could just be a way for this forum's server to code that. the points per post is already 2, do we really need to limit That?

for meaningful ways of earning points... first yes spells and i have been talking about the battle association a lot and some of our ideas would mean earning points through things that we create ourselves in these challenges. (i actually still had more thoughts on that too spells, i'm sorry i'm so bad at responding more commonly LOL i will try to soon) 
my second idea would be that when there are ww site-wide games, members who win the game earn points for either participation or for winning it.
i agree also that it'd still be nice to do occasional clean-ups of the memberlist... i mean yeah it sucks to get kicked out of the clan you wanted to join, but to rectify that disappointment if they logged back in, we could just add a rule stating "if you're inactive for x time, you will be removed from your clan and must request joining it again if you return." and on that train of thought, activity checks are an A+ way of ensuring people stick to their group and stay. it'd even give guests a good idea of how active the place is, which could always be a pushing point for them to join and stay active too.
re: leaderboards, i like moss's idea. it sounds more fun and less of a hassle than overhauling the entire leaderboard design.
re: clan ranks, they'd be fun, but we need some sort of outline of what each rank does... and what about the smaller clans? i'm kinda confused about how they'd be included in ranks bc it'd seem kinda pointless if there was like, 1 leader and 1 deputy or something in the especially smaller ones :s though i guess the banding together idea could help with that.

Quote from: Spellmaster
what if we offered prizes for creating contests as well as winning them? or maybe have a series of events where each usergroup plans some sort of activity (quiz, scavenger hunt, etc.) for the other clans to participate in?
i think i also like these ideas. i'd been thinking for a While it'd be fun for clans to host their own types of events. i've seen certain harry potter sites do that where they let the houses host their own events that have a theme that ties with their group and they were very successful. these might make for neat "gatherings"?

Quote from: Heron
I feel like most people are just saving them up right now, and no one's really spending any.
the reason i'm not spending any of mine is because 1 i don't want to lose ALL my prey points in one go and never be able to save back up to that amount, when i'm an uncommon poster in general. and 2, the cards we get to collect are EXPENSIVE af when they get any rarer than the common 100-pp cards. honestly i think people would maybe spend more if some of the prices were just. lower. maybe

the darkest half-hour and read alouds would also be great to get started back up again

my other idea... ok this would take a LOT of moderation probably or at least a lot of self-discipline etc, but, what if. what if we let ww members--particularly the more loyal ones--host their own ww games? of course they'd have to go through the mods before they could host them, but really it'd ideally work out similar to the way we let people host mafia games. it'd only be more complicated because of needing more characters and whatnot,  but i think it'd be a neat way of boosting activity a lot more? ww games are a very appreciated and popular activity, it gets activity going way up every time. of course there'd be limits to how often they'd take place, since part of their charm is not knowing when they'll pop up in the first place. but it's a thought?
Quote from: DFW
cup