June 27, 2022, 05:47:12 am

Author Topic: SYSTEM_FAILURE /// CHAPTER_FOUR: POSTED  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Darksight

Re: SYSTEM_FAILURE /// CHAPTER_THREE: POSTED
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »
Not to worry, @Leopardscar , it's all going to be a-okay. Totally fine. Nothing to worry about. I definitely don't have terrible things plotted.

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 10:49:38 pm »
OH JEEZ
OH JEEZ
OH JEEZ

Offline Raintalon

• Velociraptor Supreme
  • Elder
  • 138 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Raintalon
  • That is a good wisdom.
  • Referrals: 0
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 06:14:50 pm »
Yooooo : D This is awesome

I always knew I'd be killed by an elevator
There are bad ways to win-- and good ways to lose.
What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which.
A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails.
Sometimes it may never land at all...
-Grimsley

Offline Splashy

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 06:21:02 pm »
isaac no y u do this! do not kill ur moms!!!

Offline Darkforestwarrior

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 04:21:32 am »
i just caught up OH NO................rip me n rain

Grab Bag gift from Splashy!
~Happy Halloween~

Offline Darksight

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 12:33:56 am »
AN:// What?! No, I'm not posting a chapter for a fic I haven't touched in ten months! I'm not, I'm no-

CHAPTER_FOUR

Altias sat in the lobby of the apartment building, knees drawn up to their chest and arms wrapped around themself in an attempt to stop their entire body from shaking. Every time the police and the paramedics came in and out of the lobby's doors, a cold gust of air would fill the lobby, pushing the warmth out of the room and down the halls, raising goosebumps of Altias's arms.

After the ambulance finally showed up and DFW and Rain were carted out of the building, Altias wanted nothing more than to go back to their apartment, lock the door, and try to forget what they saw. The way the blood stood out bright red against the polished floors of the elevators. The pallor of Rain's skin, like she might already be dead. For a moment, the elevator was a steel coffin, and DFW and Rain were the bodies interred within, victims of the building's unforgiving architecture. It was only after the paramedics checked pulses and did their work, verifying the two unconscious women as alive, that Altias finally breathed normally again. Altias wanted to forget all of that, but the police insisted that they needed to stay here, to answer questions.

Altias was so tired...

"Excuse me," said a voice.

Altias jolted back into lucidity. A police officer stood in front of Altias. He was completely bald and his uniform was impeccable. In the midst of all this, Altias found it amazing that he had gone to the trouble of making sure his shoes were polished and his badge was centered perfectly on his left breast pocket.

"Y-yes?" Altias managed after a moment. Words came slowly now. So tired...

"We just needed to ask you a few questions, and then you can be on your way. Is that alright?" The officer asked. Altias noticed now that the officer carried a clipboard with several papers on it. The police were probably filing a report. The notion that two people nearly dying could be encapsulated on a few sheets of paper and entered into a database baffled Altias.

"Sure," Altias said. Anything to get out of here sooner.

"Thank you," said the officer. "Mind if I sit?"

Altias shook their head. At least the officer was well mannered. The officer took a seat next to Altias on the bench and put the clipboard on his knees.

"What were you doing down in the lobby?" The officer asked.

"Trying to get up to my apartment," Altias said. "I was coming home from work."

"Where do you work?" Asked the officer. He wrote in an illegible scrawl. Altias pitied any desk worker that had to type that report up.

"I'm an artist. I've been doing some contract stuff for Wishtech designing ads..."

"So you were over by the WishTech building?"

"Today, yes... I'm sorry, why is that important?"

"...what you saw in the elevator..."

"...and then the doors opened and I saw them just..."

"...called the police immediately?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't..."

The questions went on for what seemed like hours. Finally the police officer relented and told Altias they could go. Ducking under the yellow tape that now cordoned off the lobby, Altias took the stairs up to their apartment. With a blink of a green light and an electronic beep, the door slid open and Altias practically fell inside.

Once the door shut, Altias flopped down on the couch in the living room and closed their eyes. Sleep... Sleep would help them forget...

>accessing shipping network...
>locating active couriers...
>initiating delivery...

Heat ushered the patrons out of Pepe's. As they herded sleepily toward the doors, Heat gave them the old "you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here" speech. It was slow work, but soon, the place was empty. Heat couldn't blame them. As the air got colder, the streets were an unwelcome place. The way the wind howled down the avenues between towers of steel, the chill cutting through the skin straight to the bones...

Putting that thought to bed, Heat went over to the jukebox, put on something more his taste, and set about the quiet, methodical ritual of closing the bar. Glasses and plates to be bussed, tabletops to be polished, floors swept. The cook and the waiter had already gone home, food service stopping at midnight, so Heat was left to clean up. He didn't mind though- the solitude didn't bother him and he didn't feel tired. Despite the long night of serving patrons and joking and laughing and eavesdropping on the latest news around town, Heat felt awake and alert. Heat was waiting for something to happen. What it was, he didn't know, but it was in the air. The tension permeated every surface, and every glass and bottle in the bar seemed to vibrate and hum in anticipation. It reminded him of his old job.

Just as Heat finished polishing the bottles and cleaning the bar, a knock came on the frosted glass double doors of the bar. Heat looked up from the bar, which he had buffed to a mirror shine. He checked the clock. 3 A.M. His hand slid off the bar and floated down under the countertop, to the place behind the cashbox. Heat couldn't remember the last time he had maintained it, but it should still be there. And it should still be loaded...

"Bar's closed," Heat called. His voice sounded too loud for the empty bar. Heat studied the silhouette. Short, stocky. Carrying something. The stranger's shadow stood out against the glass, outlined by the neon and fluorescent light of the streets outside.

The knock came again. Heat bent himself over slightly to reach all the way under the bar. Yes, it was there. He wrapped his hand around the grip and pulled his hand out from under the bar. The matte black of the silenced pistol reflected no light.

"You hear me?" Heat called, louder and in his "my bar, my rules" voice. "We're closed!"

"Heat, it's me," Replied the shadow outside. Heat recognized the voice. "Open up, would you? It's freezing out here."

Cursing, Heat stashed the pistol back behind the cash box. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Heat stumbled out from behind the bar and unlocked the front doors. In came Darksight, huffing and puffing from the cold. In his arms he carried a small box about a foot across in either direction. Giving one last check to make sure the street was empty, Heat shut the door behind him as the abysmal chill of the autumn night tried to fight its way inside.

"What are you doing here?" Heat asked. He locked the door. Darksight stood by the "wait to be seated" sign, shaking off the cold.

"Sorry, Heat. I didn't mean to bother you this late," Darksight said, obviously not happy about being at Pepe's an hour after close. "I just saw the lights on and figured you'd be in."

Heat took a deep breath and tried to calm down. This was Darksight. He was safe. "No, it's fine, it's fine. It's just late... Now what brings you to my fine establishment?"

"You've got mail, actually," Darksight said, setting the box down on a nearby table with a muffled thud.

"Mail?" Heat asked. Now that he wasn't checking every door and window in the place, Heat noticed that Darksight was wearing a light blue uniform somewhere underneath his layers of jackets. "I thought you worked down at the metro. Since when do you work with the mail service?"

"Eh, it's a side gig," Darksight said. "The metro only needs me three nights a week, so I need something to do the other two days. Got to keep the lights on, you know?" He said with a smile.

It made sense, Heat thought. The mail service did all their delivering at night to avoid traffic on the streets, an odd strategy, but an effective one. It suited Darksight, who was close to nocturnal. "I see," Heat said after a moment. He picked up the box. It had a weight to it, but Heat could carry it in one hand without difficulty. He checked the label. No return address. "So who wanted to send me mail?"

"No idea," Darksight said. He shifted from foot to foot, debating whether or not to sit down. "It just showed up at our central office with instructions to deliver immediately. Was already approved for expedited shipping. Not cheap."

"You don't say," Heat said. He set the box down on the bar, his back to Darksight. "Any idea what's in it?"

"Nope. It's a crime to open the mail, y'know."

"Of course," Heat said. Pulling a pocket knife from his jeans, Heat sliced open the top of the box and peered inside. He let out a sigh before turning around with a smile on his face. "Darksight!"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for delivering this to me, I've been waiting for this to come in, actually. Totally forgot I ordered it! I'm really sorry, but I've got to lock up. It's getting pretty late." Heat made sure to pour as much sugar on his words as he could.

"Oh, sure!" Darksight said, hurrying to stand up. "I didn't mean to overstay my welcome. I'll get out of your hair." He zipped up his coat and started making for the door. "I think I might drop by sometime this week with Scary."

"Looking forward to it," Heat said with a grin. He unlocked the door and let Darksight out. "You stay warm out there, alright?"

"Sure thing," Darksight said. His words turned to clouds in the cold. "You have a good one!"

The cold burned on Heat's arms as he watched Darksight disappear down the street and around the corner. Once Heat was certain there was no one in sight, he locked the bar back up. With a sharp exhale, Heat discarded the smile he put on for Darksight. He looked to the box on the bar counter.

Not good.

Heat picked up the package and carried it to a back office that operated as the business headquarters for Pepe's. Here Heat handled all the tedium of running a business. The room was outfitted with a desk covered in papers, a few shelves, and a lamp that gave the room a warm, dim glow. Kicking the door shut with his foot, Heat cleared the papers off the desk and set the package down.   

Now that he was alone, Heat could pick apart the contents of the box. What he found inside didn't please him. Inside the impeccably packaged cardboard box, Heat found three things: Neatly wrapped stacks of bills amounting to ten thousand dollars, a typed letter, and a detailed map of  the WishTech building on Platinum Drive.

Heat's hands clenched into fist as he looked at the contents of the package laid out on the table. This configuration was not foreign to him, he had seen it countless times before- payment, instructions, intel. Second half of payment delivered upon completion.

Heat promised himself he would never go looking for this type of work again. But sometimes, the work comes looking for you.

>delivery: confirmed

Offline Splashy

Re: SYSTEM_FAILURE /// CHAPTER_FOUR: POSTED
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 12:41:04 am »
dunn dun DUNNN
what does it meannnn

Offline Darksight

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 12:49:41 am »
@Splashy suspense!11!1! Also, did your computer have trouble displaying some of the characters? I had to go back and mess with the formatting to fix it, but the original thing was a hot mess. How did it look for you?

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 12:51:20 am »
I'm currently in the middle of listening to something but I am certainly going to read this later and I am so hype it is back B)

~Happy Halloween~

Offline Splashy

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 11:58:02 am »
@Splashy suspense!11!1! Also, did your computer have trouble displaying some of the characters? I had to go back and mess with the formatting to fix it, but the original thing was a hot mess. How did it look for you?

Yeah Wish can be super wonky about displaying text that's pasted over from Word or other word processors- I believe the fix was to just input the text you copy out of a word processor to this site into the top box and use the version it gives you in the lower box after you clean it.

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:04 pm »
Whos heat
Empress of the Pagebottom

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 04:32:28 am »
heat seems to be a hitman by my guessing

~Happy Halloween~

Offline Arcade Heat

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 08:33:37 am »
Thx dfw I gave u a purr
Empress of the Pagebottom

Offline Tom

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:02 am »
I love it omg

I'd visit Pepe's with you anytime Job :D please don't drop this for another 10 months

thanks vegas for the avatar, moss for the blinkie & darksight for the signature

Quote from: Darkstar
i actually happen to love a good fruitcake

Offline Raintalon

• Velociraptor Supreme
  • Elder
  • 138 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Raintalon
  • That is a good wisdom.
  • Referrals: 0
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 10:41:12 am »
*wild clapping* It's chapter four and I'm already almost dead this is awesome : D
There are bad ways to win-- and good ways to lose.
What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which.
A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails.
Sometimes it may never land at all...
-Grimsley