July 02, 2022, 01:21:14 pm

Author Topic: SYSTEM_FAILURE /// CHAPTER_FOUR: POSTED  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Raintalon

• Velociraptor Supreme
  • Elder
  • 138 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Raintalon
  • That is a good wisdom.
  • Referrals: 0
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
Re: SYSTEM_FAILURE /// A Warriors Wish Fan Fiction /// CHAPTER_ONE: POSTED
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 09:00:56 pm »
This looks like it's gonna be fun~
There are bad ways to win-- and good ways to lose.
What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which.
A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails.
Sometimes it may never land at all...
-Grimsley

Offline rowan

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 09:11:21 pm »
y e s
Quote from: tinyfeather
alt are you the pepe of fortune

{{ deviantart + card counter + tarot/oracle shoppfq profile  }}

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 10:48:35 pm »
CITIZEN_NAME: tiny mistfeather
GENDER_IDENT: female
PRONOUN_CHOICE: she/her
APPEARANCE_DESC: shoulder-length silvery-blue hair (changes often), green eyes, pretty pale. 5'7" and def not skinny. Has a gold septum clicker with little rhinestones and long natural nails that she keeps painted. Usually wears lace, floral patterns, pink, dresses and skirts or skinny jeans. Believes that everything is better high-waisted. Rarely seen without winged eyeliner.
PROFESSION_LIST: cafe owner and writer!
PERSONALITY_EVAL: smart, sarcastic, short-tempered. Easily frustrated. Kind and a bleeding heart. Worries about everything. Anxious. Often cynical, but often not. Helpful. Swears a lot. Creative and open-minded. Sometimes surprisingly funny. Very introverted and needs time to recover after interaction. Can enter deep depressive episodes.
DANGER_RESPONSE: just gets so worried she makes a haphazard plan and STICKS BY IT BY GOLLY!!! MIGHT PUNCH SOMEONE!
OTHER_ACTIVITIES: Animals, social justice, bed, chocolate, unicorns and other magical things, pizza (pizza is her one true love probably), makeup, reading, writing, MLP, Steven Universe, Star Trek, loads of other TV shows, her pet cat Tucker, space, drawing, astrology
OTHER_INFO: has a brown tabby-and-white cat named tucker that she loves so so much! also audio distortion is the freakiest thing ever to her

Offline t3nt4k103941023

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 12:23:58 am »
CITIZEN_NAME: L.AVI
GENDER_IDENT: Female
PRONOUN_CHOICE: she/her/they/them
APPEARANCE_DESC: swing bob cut blonde hair, Purple streaks in bangs. Short, average built. Wears glasses always or else can't see much more than blurs 2 feet away. Likes to wear hats, particularly newsboy caps and beanies. Huge fan of wearing hoodies and jeans. Sometimes will randomly wear a button up shirt with a floral vest and dress pants with pointy boots.
PROFESSION_LIST: artist, seamstress, librarian, and dealer of black market trades B^)
PERSONALITY_EVAL: On a good day: bubbly!!! Can have hidden intentions... but otherwise seems genuine. She just wants to be liked... and also wants prey points. She's just trying her best... even if she forgets to do stuff sometimes. (she's a lil scatter-brained)
DANGER_RESPONSE: Often freezes up and brain goes blank... under stress will fold under pressure. To physical threats would try to run or distract/inflict enough damage to be able to escape.
OTHER_ACTIVITIES: Watches Game Grumps, Markiplier, and Rooster Teeth, plays video games, compiles music playlists, attends concerts, paints, draws, sculpts, sews, will use any media to achieve artistic ends. Owns a tarot deck. Also can play guitar :)
OTHER_INFO: Loves surreal creepy things, glowy things, and animal skeletons/dinosaur fossils... but fears technical glitches, blood, and gore

Offline Darksight

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 10:35:30 pm »
CHAPTER_TWO

Crammed between an internet cafe and a computer store, the wood-and-brick storefront of Scary's Antiques seemed ancient. And to some degree, it was. Despite the city's transformation into a metropolis of glass and steel, the store remained the same through all the changes. A handpainted sign hung over the door. In the windows, old phonographs and pieces of furnitures waited for a buyer.

Scar pushed open the door to the store. A tarnished brass bell rang. Inside, the store smelled like dust and aging upholstery. Numerous lamps dotted the dim space, filling the store with a pale gold light. Scar weaved her way through furniture, stacks of books, and several statues to reach the back of the store. She passed her reflection several times- a fair-skin woman with long, curly brown hair.

No one stood at the old mahogany counter. Scar looked around.

"Hello?" She called. No one answered. The building creaked around her. "Anyone around?"

Scar peered into the back. Down a small hallway, the gray light of the outside shone through a partially-opened door. Scar would have waited, but she had to be at rehearsal in less than half an hour. Scar skirted around the counter and went into the back. Pushing through the door, Scar found herself in an alleyway behind the building, standing on a loading dock.

Scar recognized Scary standing on the edge of the loading dock, his hands on his hips. He spoke to a young woman holding a docile, albeit confused-looking, mallard.

"Remember, you've got to feed him daily, and he needs a place to swim. Taking him to the park would be best, but if you can't, give him some time in the bathtub." Scary said, "Just send me your payment by the end of the week."

The young woman nodded, and said, "Will do. Thanks, Scary."

"No problem. See you," Scary said. The woman disappeared down the alleyway with her newly-acquired duck. Scary turned around and nearly bumped into Scar. "Oh! Hey, Scar. What's up?"

"Nothing much, how are you, Scary?"

"Doing fine," Scary said. He made his way to the back door, holding it open for Scar. "Is this a personal visit or business?"

"Business," Scar said. She looked at the rapidly shrinking figure moving down the alleyway. "And that was...?"

"Also business," Scary said. The went inside and Scar resumed her position on the other side of the counter while Scary moved some papers away. "What is it you're looking for?"

"We're doing a show down at the theatre, and we were hoping to acquire some furniture that would fit the period. To dress the set, you know," Scar said. She brushed some hair out of her face, leaning against the counter.

"When is it set?" Scary asked. He took out a pen and began writing on a stray scrap of yellowed paper.

"Early 1800's."

"Are you looking for authentic stuff, or...?"

"No, no, just stuff that looks like it's from around 1810, 1820."

"I'll see what I can dig up," Scary said. He finished scribbling and looked up at her, "I'll give you a call when I've got all my pieces together, and you can come take a look."
   "Thanks, Scary."

"No problem," Scary said as Scar turned to leave, "Mind if I ask what show you're doing?"

"We're doing an adaptation of a book."

"Which?"

"Frankenstein."

>accessing metro_camD-3856
>running facial recognition...
>match found

Scar stood by the door of the subway car, waiting for it to reach the station. The gray concrete walls of the metro tunnels flashed by. Beside Scar, a short, red-haired woman sat in a seat, her eyes locked on the tablet in her lap. The woman scowled at the screen.

"You look very intent, Rain." Scar said.

The woman looked up from her tablet. "Hello, Scar. And I suppose I was, yes."
   "Serious stuff?" Scar asked.

"Not particularly. I just got an e-mail from Tiny. She says we need to hire more help for the cafe." Rain said with a sigh, "The colder it gets, the more folks we have coming in. Good for business, but bad for the staff."

"I understand. I'm sure you'll find help. It seems like a cool place," Scar said. She adjusted her grip on the metal bar above her head. The metro rumbled around her.

"Thanks. It shouldn't be too difficult. It's just tedious hiring people. You should come by sometime."

"What, to apply?" Scar asked with a smirk.

"Of course, the pay is beyond measure," Rain said, smiling. "No, you dope. For some hot drinks. You haven't been yet."

Scar squirmed inside. This was true. She didn't know why- it was right next to Scary's store, so it's not like it was a far trip or anything. Scar just preferred different sorts of coffee places- the kind with wooden floors, fireplaces, and deep, soft chairs. Tiny and Rain's cafe was a modern mecha for tech-heads looking for a caffeine fix. Employees from WishTech and other nearby tech companies made up a large part of the cafe's clientele.

"I guess you're right," Scar said, looking at her shoes, "I'll come by sometime this week."

"And we'll be happy to serve you," Rain said with a smile.

"Glad to hear it," Scar said.

"Now arriving at River Street Station," said ISAAC's voice over the intercom. Passengers stood, preparing to get off. The subway slowed to a halt at the platform.

"This is my stop. Bye Rain," Scar said. She turned and waited for the doors to open. They did not. The crowded subway car began to fill with murmurs.

The murmurs turned to gasps and confused cries as the lights in the car switched off. For a moment, Scar floated in complete darkness. After a few seconds, the red emergency lights came on, filling the car with sanguine light.

"What's going on?" Rain asked, looking around. She exchanged a glance with Scar, who shrugged.

"Emergency," ISAAC's voice said, cutting through the voices in the car. "Emergency. Do not disembark."

Scar looked around. The subway car seemed fine. Outside on the platform, commuters stood waiting for the doors to open so they could pile in. The door remained shut. Scar peered through the windows, and saw that every other car attached to Scar and Rain's emptied themselves as their doors opened and passengers flowed out onto the platform.

"'Scuse me, everyone!" A voice said. Scar turned and saw the crowd parting to let a man in a blue shirt and orange vest through. His head was a mess of black curls. An employee for the city's metro. "Our apologies. Something's wrong with the door, we think."

Scar stepped aside to let the worker reach the door. She watched as he reached for a red handle marked, "MANUAL OVERRIDE."

"Emergency," ISAAC said, his voice coming from the speaker above the door, "Do not disembark. Do not disembark. Do not disembark."

The AI repeated himself until the worker pulled the door open. People left the car in a hurry, all of them seemingly late for something. Scar did the same.

Once Scar was on the platform, she stopped and looked at the train car again. The doors slid closed and the lights switched back on. Scar saw Rain through the window, who waved goodbye as the subway pulled out of the station. Scar spun on her heel and took the stairs up to the street. She was late for rehearsal.

> . . .

Darksight crouched on the floor of the subway car, wrestling with the wires beneath the train's controls. After the snafu at River Street Station, the train kept doing the same thing all the way down the line, with car four going into emergency mode and the doors not opening.

So after asking everyone to get off (which resulted in a lot of angry commuters), they pulled the train off the line and brought onto a section of rail reserved for trains in need of maintenance. Now Darksight was stuck working overtime, trying to get  the darn thing back in working order.

The system wasn't totally messed up, though, Darksight noted. ISAAC had at least managed to do his job and open the doors at the Platinum Drive Station, by the WishTech building.

> accessing citizen information
> address found
> altering security protocol...

Rain stood in front of her apartment, exhausted. She had ended up walking the rest of the way home. The subway kept breaking down, so she gave up and got off at the Platinum Drive Station. The walk was long, and made worse by the cold afternoon. All she wanted to do was lie down.

Rain pressed her thumb against the scanner and waited for the door to open. The light on the door flashed red. Access denied.

"What the...?" Rain said under her breath. She tried again. Still no luck. "Come on you stupid piece of..."

After trying three more times, Rain sighed and pressed her head against the cold metal of the door. What she wouldn't do for an apartment that used normal keys. When she got the place, she thought that the whole fingerprint identification thing was so great, but now?

Rain looked around, wondering what to do. The cold of autumn was beginning to creep into her skin. She needed to get inside. Then she could call maintenance and have them come fix her scanner.

Turning to walk down the breezeway, Rain knew where to go.

> . . .

DFW looked up from her computer when she heard the knock at the door. Setting her drawing tablet's pen down, she stood and walked out of the office and to the front hall. The knock came again. DFW pressed the "open" button beside the door.

The door slid away and there stood a woman with dark, windblown hair. She looked irritated and tired.

"Long time no see, Rain."   

> . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

AN:// Well, that's it for chapter two. Tiny and Lav, I'll happily have ya'll aboard :P Question though, Lav. Do I refer to your character as L.AVI, Lav, L? Just let me know, so I can write your character properly. Anyhow, hope you guys like it. Cheers!

Offline Tom

Re: SYSTEM_FAILURE /// CHAPTER_TWO: POSTED
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 04:23:50 am »
I love it. ;^; that's one more duck with a safe home, I'm so happy <3

thanks vegas for the avatar, moss for the blinkie & darksight for the signature

Quote from: Darkstar
i actually happen to love a good fruitcake

Offline t3nt4k103941023

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:32 am »
Lav probably works best, I suppose :'0
this is super interesting to read

Offline Scar

• sith lord / vigilante
  • StarClanner
  • 12 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Scar
  • casually kicking ass
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 10:21:12 am »
Oooh I love it!
Also lol at the duck smuggling ring.

I agree with Lav, this is really interesting to read <3

Offline tinyfeather

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 03:52:40 pm »
the cafe is serious business ok
i really like your writing style!

Offline Splashy

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 08:18:13 pm »
ISAAC don't kill us plz okay

Offline Raintalon

• Velociraptor Supreme
  • Elder
  • 138 prey points
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Raintalon
  • That is a good wisdom.
    • Awards
  • Pronouns: She/her
  • Mood: Sleepy
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:03 pm »
Things are going bad fast hahahahaaaa

You, sir, are a glorious writer.
There are bad ways to win-- and good ways to lose.
What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which.
A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails.
Sometimes it may never land at all...
-Grimsley

Offline Darksight

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 05:17:11 am »
CHAPTER_THREE

> pinging communications network...
> connection made
> jamming

From her window, DFW could see the street. People moved in every direction, the crowds beginning to thin as the night grew later and the air grew colder. Trees dotted the sidewalks. The leaves glowed orange and red in the bright lights of the city. Behind DFW, Rain sat in an armchair, trying to shake off the cold. A movie played on the wall-mounted television in muted silence.

"Thanks for letting me in," Rain said. She sipped from a mug of cocoa DFW had given her.

"No problem. Can't believe you couldn't get into your apartment though," DFW said as she walked into the kitchenette to get a drink for herself. "Have you called the super?"

"Not yet. I wanted to get indoors first, you know?" Rain asked.

"Understandable." DFW said. She poured herself some hot cocoa and joined Rain in the  living room. On the TV screen, Harrison Ford battled with some white-haired villain on a rooftop in the rain. Ford was losing.

Rain scanned the room. A computer took one corner of the room, a drawing tablet on the desk. Two monitors shone against the deep red of the walls. One displayed the beginnings of a drawing. The other was plastered in a clutter of code. Above the desk on a shelf were several photos and something that looked like a trophy.

"What's that?" Rain asked, pointing.

"Oh, that?" DFW said, looking, "It's just some honor WishTech gave me or whatever. 'Exemplary Ingenuity' or something."

Rain gave a weak smile. "Was it for ISAAC?"

DFW looked toward the floor. "Yeah..."

Rain looked back to DFW, who was examining the carpet. "Don't feel so bad, DFW, you deserve the recognition you got."

"But you put in a lot of work too, Rain. Why didn't they give you anything?"

"It was your idea," Rain said. She took a sip from her mug. The warmth from the ceramic crept through her hands and up her arms. "I just got pulled into the project once you got it rolling."

"I guess," DFW said. She stared out the window. "If I had it my way, every one of you would've gotten an award. And a raise. And a paid vacation to some tropical island."

The autumn wind howled by the window, scraping its claws along the glass.

"Wouldn't that be nice." Rain said.

"I'm sorry," DFW said, "I didn't mean to get all serious and stuff. I don't like the award, honestly. I feel like I shouldn't have gotten it. You were there all those early morning hours, just like I was."

"It's fine. And don't feel bad. ISAAC's your baby," Rain said.

DFW scoffed. "Some baby. They took me off the project after his release."

"What?" Rain asked.

"Yeah, about... four months ago? Right after you left," DFW said. "I had such plans for ISAAC. Instead the higher-ups have me on this other project now, debugging broken code, doing grunt work."

"Sounds wonderful."

"Tell me about it. You know, I think you were right to leave when you did," DFW said.

"You think so?"

"Seriously. The place has only gotten crazier since you left, and you and Tiny are doing great from what I can tell."

"You could say that," Rain said, a little embarassed.

"I'm happy for you. They weren't doing right by you anyway."

"Thanks," Rain said. She picked up her phone and dialed the number for the building's superintendent. There was a busy tone. Rain sighed and ended the call. "I need to go down to the lobby and talk to the super. Wanna come with?"

"Sure thing," DFW said. She stood up and went to get her coat.

> facial recognition match elev_cam_A2
> ident: "DFW" and "Rain T. Nymous"
> elevator to floor-01
> WARNING...
> unknown operation occuring

Rain and DFW stood in the elevator. The readout above the buttons read "13", the top floor in the apartment complex they lived in. DFW pressed the button for the ground floor. The red digits on the readout slowly decreased- Twelve... Eleven... Ten... Nine... Eight...

> overriding speed sensors

The elevator stopped its gliding descent and came to a halt. DFW exchanged a confused glance with Rain. The readout showing the floor number had gone blank. DFW pressed the button for the lobby again.

The lights in the elevator went out.

> brakes: off

Rain's stomach leapt into her throat as she felt weightless for a moment. Then she, DFW, and the entire elevator began to fall. DFW made a noise somewhere between a scream and a yell, bracing herself against the corner of the elevator.

Rain tried to drop to the floor, fighting the weightlessness of free falling.

It was impossible to tell how far they were going down. It could have been one story or a hundred. To Rain, it was all the same. In the cold, darkness of the elevator, Rain felt as though she were plummeting into the heart of some dark, hollow monster. The earth was swallowing her up and soon her bones would be broken and the last breath of air would leave her dead lungs.

Rain thought about all this and more as the elevator continued its unyielding descent.

> WARNING!
> elev_A2 exceeding max speed
> engaging emergency protocol

Altias stood in the lobby of the apartment, waiting for the elevator to come down. They had been watching the number go down, then the screen blacked out before coming back on again. Altias sighed. All this tech and the elevator still went on the fritz now and again.

Finally, the elevator beeped as it reached the ground floor. Altias stood to the side of the doors, in case anybody came out first. The elevator doors slid open. No one came out.

Altias looked into the elevator and their breath stopped.

On the floor lay two people. Altias recognized them- it was DFW and Rain. A pair of shattered glasses lay on the floor. Blood dripped from a gash in DFW's forehead. The two looked like puppets whose strings had been cut.

Fighting the panic rising in their throat, Altias pulled out their phone and called the hospital. They hoped the ambulance would arrive in time.

> searching history
> prev operation: not found
> scanning: "DFW"
> status: UNKNOWN
> scanning: "Rain"
> status: UNKNOWN
> med assist ETA: 10 minutes

Offline Tom

Re: SYSTEM_FAILURE /// CHAPTER_THREE: POSTED
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 05:21:43 am »
I love it
Love it